#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

pat c

They are complaining to be complaining. Poor babies have been inconvenienced.

For the rest of us? I won't be flying a Cdn flag anytime soon as I don't want to be mistaken for someone who supports these twits. And I guess I'll have to be more outspoken when I meet someone who thinks these jerks are ok and they represent me. It seems
politeness and manners aren't doing us any good.

Desperado

For the rest of us? I won't be flying a Cdn flag anytime soon as I don't want to be mistaken for someone who supports these twits. And I guess I'll have to be more outspoken when I meet someone who thinks these jerks are ok and they represent me. It seems
Went for a pedicure to a downtown place I had gone to for a few years and realized they were mildly pro convoy, which they hadn’t voiced earlier. I couldn’t believe it. She complained that ´Trudeau is dividing us’ which sounded too much like propaganda for me to think she came up with that on her own, that the media wasn’t telling the truth and so clients cancelled and they were closed for a day but it wasn’t the convoy’s fault, that the coffee shop nearby that had its windows broken during that time lied when they said they lost business…

She was mostly mad that her and her sister followed all the Public Health rules for their business, but no one came to check (and give them a medal, I guess). I brought up the fact that those were municipal and provincial rules, not federal, but people really don’t let facts get in the way of their wishful thinking. I can understand how stressful keeping a small business going during the past 2 years was, but not this form of rhetoric. I gave up and will just not go back.

manhn

When moving to a more, uhm, conservative part of BC, I just assumed that there’d be way more,uhm, conservatism than it has really occurred. At the start when they seemed to be everywhere (I think I did a good job of avoiding them), the drivers seemed to take one lane instead of both lanes of our main highway. So while I don’t like driving amongst them, they didn’t really affect my commute.

As it goes on longer, the most extreme remain. A walk to the coffee shop on my lunch break could result in verbal harassment. I would do my run on my break and take a slightly different route to the coffeeshop (and I would put on my mask just before entering the cafe) but the poor high school students who still wore their masks between their walk from school to the coffeeshop would face insults and questions. The students just rolled their eyes.

I think people no longer wearing masks result in fewer clashes, of course they probably think we are all on their side now.

One particularly loud day where drivers were blaring their car horns constantly, they got a lot of pushback from the community. My co-workers were complaining about it all day and swearing at the protesters. I just assumed there was a train railway that I never knew about, but we don’t have that. A lot of people going at them with “Why are you still protesting this?!?!”

Judy

Feel free to fly a Cdn flag - people can tell the difference.

pat c

I would hope so, but I'll give it a miss for this year. :)

I've been in a few situations where I've had to deal with a pro convoy person. I volunteer at a community garden. One of the members daughters is a strong anti vaxxer and masker. The daughter runs a local greenhouse. I've never been, and will not.
The comm garden buys plants from there. Fine. Another member brought up the subject in a way that I had to politely say
that the daughter could think and believe what she wanted. I hoped she did ok in the greenhouse. But she wasn't getting my $$.
My choice as it was hers. To top it off, I ended up doing them a favor a couple of weeks ago. Bringing plants from another greenhouse to theirs. No, I didn't go, dropped it off at the community garden. ;) It is amusing me to no end that I did them a favor and there is nothing that they can do about it. And no, they haven't thanked me.

Judy

I would hope so, but I'll give it a miss for this year. :)

I've been in a few situations where I've had to deal with a pro convoy person. I volunteer at a community garden. One of the members daughters is a strong anti vaxxer and masker. The daughter runs a local greenhouse. I've never been, and will not.
The comm garden buys plants from there. Fine. Another member brought up the subject in a way that I had to politely say
that the daughter could think and believe what she wanted. I hoped she did ok in the greenhouse. But she wasn't getting my $$.
My choice as it was hers. To top it off, I ended up doing them a favor a couple of weeks ago. Bringing plants from another greenhouse to theirs. No, I didn't go, dropped it off at the community garden. ;) It is amusing me to no end that I did them a favor and there is nothing that they can do about it. And no, they haven't thanked me.
A community garden sounds amazing though.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
BC Premier John Horgan to step down. He's looked really gaunt as of late, after his cancer treatment. :(

Desperado

Anyone else had communication issues yesterday due to the Canadian oligopoly of telcom companies? I'm with TekSavvy for internet/TV but they're using Rogers infrastructure so I was without.

How much this outage affected essential government services (municipal, provincial and federal - 911 phone lines, support and hospital services, etc.), and private companies like pharmacies and grocery stores, is chilling.

Aaron MB Fan

Yes, yesterday was a crazy stressful day. I have Rogers internet and cable, Rogers for my work phone and Fido aka Rogers for my personal cell phone. I had zero connectivity yesterday and living alone felt very isolated. By total fluke, my work laptop was on but I had a blank black screen that wouldn’t display anything, so I had a bit of a panic thinking I was honestly hacked or something. It wasn’t until I went to see the management office of my building that I realized it’s a country wide outage! Luckily I live 10 mins from work and my laptop screen finally came back up so I headed into the office where I had internet and wifi and could salvage the day.

Had to end the day with a good cardio workout to de-stress after the craziness!

skategal

Bunny mama
We had major issues with banking. Couldn’t use our credit card, debit card or get cash from ATM for most of the day.

Also we had a large etransfer that we sent the night before go into limbo. :mad: (Got it straightened out today.)

Plus we couldn’t reach the ILs (phone line, cell or email) the whole day and they were the beneficiary of the etransfer.

Then we had my parents (Rogers cell phone customers) travelling back from NB with no cell service.

My work phone was also out for the day but I didn’t care about that. :lol:

Everything is fine today thank goodness.

Rogers isn't super big where I am, they had basically unusable cell reception for the longest time, so the biggest thing here was banking issues. But I could use my debit card just fine somehow, even though Interac was saying they were down. It was a a total sh*tshow for bank tellers though. And someone tried to drive through one of the RBC locations in town just to make things more difficult.

skategal

Bunny mama
Rogers isn't super big where I am, they had basically unusable cell reception for the longest time, so the biggest thing here was banking issues. But I could use my debit card just fine somehow, even though Interac was saying they were down. It was a a total sh*tshow for bank tellers though. And someone tried to drive through one of the RBC locations in town just to make things more difficult.
Did the teller show the same level of empathy as the one here when DH was was enquiring about our lost e-transfer?

She said “I can understand your frustration. I couldn’t buy a coffee this morning because I didn’t have cash.” :rolleyes:

DH was NOT amused.

He said “I think you will survive a few hours without a coffee. But I’m not going to be very happy if that money doesn’t show up in my account.” :rofl:

manhn

Is Rogers big anywhere in BC or AB? Shaw and Telus tend to be our big internet providers. Debit was down, credit card only. I got cash just in case but everything seems fine. Now I am trying to pay with cash, as I hate carrying it.

ETA: loving the stories of local businesses giving out IOUs to customers during the outage and the almost 100% payment rate the next day!

Last edited:

Judy

I use Teksavvy so I was ok. I heard it on the radio and kind thought nothing of it. My sister works for RBC (but Private banking). I never knew it would screw around with not being able to use bank machines. At least the ones eg, in my convenience store that isn’t the big bank ones. My sister told me ATM’s at all the banks were working though to get cash. I didn’t ask about tellers etc.

I helped a couple people without internet that needed info and then went to bed early. Everything was normal this morning.

skategal the e-transfer would be safe but I can understand the stress. The coffee comment I would have thought but would not have spoken.

Did the teller show the same level of empathy as the one here when DH was was enquiring about our lost e-transfer?

She said “I can understand your frustration. I couldn’t buy a coffee this morning because I didn’t have cash.” :rolleyes:

DH was NOT amused.

He said “I think you will survive a few hours without a coffee. But I’m not going to be very happy if that money doesn’t show up in my account.” :rofl:
I fortunately didn’t need to go into a bank. I could use my debit card at stores. Just heard it was insane from people needing money and people that work for banks.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Are you with RBC because they were up and running before anyone else was.
Is Rogers big anywhere in BC or AB? Shaw and Telus tend to be our big internet providers. Debit was down, credit card only. I got cash just in case but everything seems fine. Now I am trying to pay with cash, as I hate carrying it.

ETA: loving the stories of local businesses giving out IOUs to customers during the outage and the almost 100% payment rate the next day!
Rogers isn't big in Alberta, they don't have a lot of towers here and I suspect the attempt at buying Shaw was to try and fix that though I still think the Shaw buyout is a very bad idea. We need more competition, not less. Rogers has paid Telus in the past to use their towers but I don't think it's all of Telus towers because Rogers reception is still trash outside of any towns or cities.
I fortunately didn’t need to go into a bank. I could use my debit card at stores. Just heard it was insane from people needing money and people that work for banks.
I heard the lines at the banks were out the building. I'm glad my mom and my grandma when shopping on Thursday.

skategal

Bunny mama
skategal the e-transfer would be safe but I can understand the stress. The coffee comment I would have thought but would not have spoken.
The other part of the story that I forgot to mention was unbeknownst to us and without contacting us about it, the bank had slapped a fraud alert on the etransfer.

We got a robocall mid morning the next day saying call the bank ASAP because our account was compromised and the phone number they gave us to call was the wrong number. :wall:

Just for context, this month we had the biggest visa bill of our lives, made several high end purchases (we saved our money to do so), travelled to USA, my DH travelled to Europe so VISA and debit card was used in 5 different countries in 5 weeks.

And nothing of those expenses got picked up as fraud.

But try to etransfer money to a legit Canadian corp and we get dinged.

So we had to try to figure out what the heck they did with our account and etransfer in addition to the Rogers outage. :confused:

quartz

scratching at the light
I’ve been shopping all weekend, but I keep an emergency stash of cash at home so have been using that, but the stores are able to take credit cards, just not debit. At home we have internet, but some websites won’t come up. No tv so I have missed all the Wimbledon finals. We do have YouTube which we watch a lot of anyways. Rogers is pretty dominate here, so its very disruptive.

Judy

The other part of the story that I forgot to mention was unbeknownst to us and without contacting us about it, the bank had slapped a fraud alert on the etransfer.

We got a robocall mid morning the next day saying call the bank ASAP because our account was compromised and the phone number they gave us to call was the wrong number. :wall:

Just for context, this month we had the biggest visa bill of our lives, made several high end purchases (we saved our money to do so), travelled to USA, my DH travelled to Europe so VISA and debit card was used in 5 different countries in 5 weeks.

And nothing of those expenses got picked up as fraud.

But try to etransfer money to a legit Canadian corp and we get dinged.

So we had to try to figure out what the heck they did with our account and etransfer in addition to the Rogers outage. :confused:
Unusual. Not to ask any personal info but who was e-transfer coming from?
Is it straightened out?

skategal

Bunny mama
Unusual. Not to ask any personal info but who was e-transfer coming from?
Is it straightened out?
We were the senders.

Yes it’s straightened out now. Thankfully.

It got put back into our bank account after a few hours and we sent it again last night. And the recipient has it.

What a mess.

Judy

We were the senders.

Yes it’s straightened out now. Thankfully.

It got put back into our bank account after a few hours and we sent it again last night. And the recipient has it.

What a mess.
Glad it worked out. The last time I had fraud on my account it was my credit line. Which isn’t attached to my banking card. So that really freaked me out. They reversed within a couple of days and I demanded they revers the interest. Changed my password and well .. who knows. My sister ordered me a replacement card which had the chip so no problems since then.

Technology is great when it works .. not great when it fails that’s for sure.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Telus is a gem of a company in Canada, and I wish we had more of its services available in Ontario. One rare thing Alberta might have right over us. ;)

I don't have a choice who my internet provider is, as Rogers is baked in to my condo fees. I guess I could pay more for another ISP, but that would be stupid. I'm grateful I don't have Rogers for my cell phone, and this has really made me question if bundling services is worth it in case of these emergencies. Rogers phone lines really ate into Bell's hardline market, which is a shame because Rogers Home Phone is reliant on network/good weather. Unless things have changed, you've got roughly 6 hours of phone life in a power outage. I truly hate Bell with a burning passion, but landline remains a more reliable network. Yet SO MANY have discontinued them, going cell-phone only. :lol:

I work in media. Friday was an unmitigated disaster. More than half of my staff had a day off. We were severely lucky it was a quiet week, or I'd have had to skip the baseball tournament I was in this weekend to clean up. I wasn't so drastically affected outside of that - I could hot spot after leaving the office, my friend was able to get to me despite not being able to advise she was late. Listening to the news was harrowing though: hospitals had to request anyone "on call" just come in. A major concert at Skydome was cancelled right as people arrived - and some had flown in from Montreal, etc., for this show. Banks had major issues. People travelling were without means to communicate Air Canada **** ups, etc. We're lucky it was a sunny Friday afternoon, but I don't think we really understand how many millions were affected, and how bad it could have been.

Mostly I'm pissed because we'll never know what actually caused it. Rogers won't cough that honesty up, and that's a travesty. Rogers & Bell control this country too much with not nearly enough oversight. The CRTC is one branch that (fails) to keep reins on these guys, and there's other regulatory rules they have to comply with considering security and such, but it's not enough.

At one point I read a tornado in Alberta caused the whole ordeal, but that has to be mega bullshit. Rogers (and its peers) have back up plans for weather, not to mention the network isn't supposed to be structured so the whole thing can go down with an emergency. I hate that I'm getting more comfortable with a tinfoil hat, but this doesn't feel like a technical issue, or even an "oops" due to bad updates/upgrades. Either Rogers really is this poorly run, or it was something very nefarious. (Okay, and ALSO Rogers is very poorly run)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information