#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

Former Lurve Goddess

They certainly have. The in-house campaign software that the riding associations are forced to use - that manages donor lists, supporter info, etc., - is a mess and is very difficult to run and update.
Hard agree on the campaign software. I used to work in direct marketing and I find it ridiculous that they’d are unable to segment their lists in any way. I received emails from several riding campaigns where I do NOT live.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I think people voted for the Devil they knew (Ford) rather than risk the Devil they don’t know.
This exactly! That's why Justin Trudeau won the last election. People were angry with him, but not willing to give someone else a shot. He has made some poor decisions but overall I would rather go with him over Erin who scares me.

Judy

This exactly! That's why Justin Trudeau won the last election. People were angry with him, but not willing to give someone else a shot. He has made some poor decisions but overall I would rather go with him over Erin who scares me.
People really, really, really, really didn’t like Erin too though even some conservative friends out west. But Pierre 😳😳😳 scares me more.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

And Pierre Poilievre is even scarier.

Speaking of which, yesterday when I was out for a hike, part of it was on a rural path that's shared by walkers and cyclists. I was coming around a corner when I heard a classic rock song being blasted. It was coming from two people riding e-bikes that had speakers attached to the handlebars. They also had panniers covered in anti-vax pro-"freedom" stickers, and were flying Canadian flags off the back of the bike frame. I guess loving Canada and all it stands for means forcing your sh*tty musical tastes on everyone else in the wilderness :mad:

Last edited:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Who is it behind the NDP making these bonehead decisions? Is this on Jagmeet & his supporters? Or is his leadership a reflection of the change?

In Ontario, Horwath was a black hole of charisma & relatability in terms of marketing, but she certainly is smart & capable. There's just no competition with Drug Ford who's basically a walking cartoon.

The people demand to be entertained by politicians. I don't like it, but if that's the game, other parties have got to get smarter about who they put forward as leader. I couldn't tell you what Del Duca's voice even sounded like.

People really, really, really, really didn’t like Erin too though even some conservative friends out west. But Pierre 😳😳😳 scares me more.

That's what's sad about the current state of the CPC: Erin O'Toole was a lesser-evil compared to most of the current leadership candidates. I thought Patrick Brown wasn't so bad either, but I'm hearing he's allegedly tied up with sketchy money (possibly Russian mobs) up at Friday Harbour resorts up in Innisfill, Ontario. Apparently the ghost of Jean Charest (former Liberal) is the only not-insane candidate currently?

Pierre seems to have a LOT of money behind him. His campaigning is really... extensive. I see his ads all over on Twitter, etc., and he's the only one with name recognition outside of blast-from-the-past Charest. The problem is I really don't see Trudeau winning the next election, nor any Liberal-- Canadians seem to like to clean house after the ruling party has been in power for a few cycles... I'm pretty sure it's the only reason we finally gave Harper the beyond-deserved boot in 2015. So the idea of Pierre winning and leading this country is legit terrifying. I hope I no longer live here by the time it happens.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Who is it behind the NDP making these bonehead decisions? Is this on Jagmeet & his supporters? Or is his leadership a reflection of the change?

This is going to sound terribly insensitive, but what I've been told is that a lot of people voted for Jagmeet because he is so visibly representative of "minorities". Not because he was a great leader - he was seen as adequate but not outstanding - but because he looked different than the leaders of the other federal parties represented in Parliament.

I get the impression there were also people who were afraid of being seen as racist and anti-diversity if they didn't support him.

So the idea of Pierre winning and leading this country is legit terrifying. I hope I no longer live here by the time it happens.

Where would we go? The US and all of its guns? Plague Island a/k/a the UK?

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
This is going to sound terribly insensitive, but what I've been told is that a lot of people voted for Jagmeet because he is so visibly representative of "minorities". Not because he was a great leader - he was seen as adequate but not outstanding - but because he looked different than the leaders of the other federal parties represented in Parliament.

I get the impression there were also people who were afraid of being seen as racist and anti-diversity if they didn't support him.

NDP also ran a very flashy campaign. I felt like Jagmeet was more into being "Instagram popular" and that's why he scored better with the younger demographics. I just wish he brought more to the table. He has a huge opportunity and kind of dropped the ball there.

Andora

Among shortlist candidates:
  • California because when the world ends, I expect it'll hit there early. Why prolong the inevitable? Might as well enjoy the weather while I'm waiting.
  • Finland because of familial ties, but the language is a huge obstruction. Top of so many quality of life indexes. Plus a culture of introverts sounds heavenly.
  • Svalbard

All of this is tongue in cheek. ;) I don't need to break up with Ontario/Canada forever, but we need a little break for perspective. I'm sure I'll come running back.

NDP also ran a very flashy campaign. I felt like Jagmeet was more into being "Instagram popular" and that's why he scored better with the younger demographics. I just wish he brought more to the table. He has a huge opportunity and kind of dropped the ball there.

This is the consistent refrain I hear about Jagmeet from every political position across the board: he has more potential than he's showing. I just question if the NDP is going down this path BECAUSE of him, or if the NDP evolution is the responsibility of senior party officials (not MPs) and Jagmeet works for their agenda.

Either way, he was a visionary pick in terms of garnering interest & attention from Canadian voters. Imagine how good he could be if the party wasn't a shit show. I continue to feel the Liberals & NDP have got to merge or we're never going to get out of this cycle-- federally & provincially. If they had the balls to make it happen, Jagmeet would be an excellent option as next-in-line after Trudeau. (Though that means I don't get my dream of voting for Ms. Freeland, but we're all going to have to make sacrifices here...)

Judy

I’d never leave my country and I’m sure Americans and other people in their countries would agree. Even if I could which I can’t. I try not to get caught up in politics obsessively. Planting some flowers in my garden here.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

And I know for a fact that campaign funding was taken away from candidates in the ridings near Jagmeet's to fund his Instagrammable campaigning activities :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how much potential he has, TBH, because he seems to be missing some really fundamental understandings of how federal Parliament works. Like that if you're an elected MP you don't take gifts in exchange for promoting companies on your social media. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jagmeet-singh-chair-gift-reimburse-1.6319704

I'm not sure how much potential he has, TBH, because he seems to be missing some really fundamental understandings of how federal Parliament works. Like that if you're an elected MP you don't take gifts in exchange for promoting companies on your social media. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jagmeet-singh-chair-gift-reimburse-1.6319704
Yeah, he's miss-stepped a lot. And beyond that particular gaffe, he doesn't seem to have a good grasp of federal/provincial responsibilities. I find him likeable, but he doesn't really instill a lot of confidence that he knows what he's doing.

Pollievre scares me. He seems like such an awful person, he's entitled and arrogant, and while I'd like to brush him off, I don't think that's wise. I know some people that are interested in him (some surprise me, others don't), though they're pretty apolitical generally so I don't think they're actually able to vote for him in the conservative leadership race. I do wonder if his running for Prime Minister leadership campaign will backfire in that regard. Voting for someone in an election is one thing (not that most Canadians can vote for him), but I don't actually know that many people willing to join a political party to vote in a leadership race. I know people that like him as an anti-woke liberal, but he has the personality of a doorknob, and he doesn't seem to inspiring people to very much action, at least in my circles. I also wonder if he's able to maintain his momentum. Idk, I try to be optimistic, but I'm very nervous, and if Trump taught me anything, it's not to underestimate people that are vile in politics.

Andora

I’d never leave my country and I’m sure Americans and other people in their countries would agree. Even if I could which I can’t. I try not to get caught up in politics obsessively. Planting some flowers in my garden here.

Okay? Good for you? You win the "most dedicated Canadian" award. :lol:

Yeah, he's miss-stepped a lot. And beyond that particular gaffe, he doesn't seem to have a good grasp of federal/provincial responsibilities. I find him likeable, but he doesn't really instill a lot of confidence that he knows what he's doing.

Pollievre scares me. He seems like such an awful person, he's entitled and arrogant, and while I'd like to brush him off, I don't think that's wise. I know some people that are interested in him (some surprise me, others don't), though they're pretty apolitical generally so I don't think they're actually able to vote for him in the conservative leadership race. I do wonder if his running for Prime Minister leadership campaign will backfire in that regard. Voting for someone in an election is one thing (not that most Canadians can vote for him), but I don't actually know that many people willing to join a political party to vote in a leadership race. I know people that like him as an anti-woke liberal, but he has the personality of a doorknob, and he doesn't seem to inspiring people to very much action, at least in my circles. I also wonder if he's able to maintain his momentum. Idk, I try to be optimistic, but I'm very nervous, and if Trump taught me anything, it's not to underestimate people that are vile in politics.

Agreed on Jagmeet, and I remembered another issue. He was a smart candidate because the CPC had to be careful targeting him lest they hit racist territory too quick. Conservatives might not worry about the Sikh vote, but they certainly care about other Canadian voters with cultural ties to South Asia who... might not be able to ignore it. Jagmeet has made enough missteps that conservatives/convoyers have enough to go after him for without ever breaking a racist sweat.

I wonder still if he'd do better with better leadership/oversight within the party. But in the end, the buck stops with him, and the organizational issues with the NDP are his to own/fix, or get out of the way for someone else to.

Again, just another reason why the NDP/Liberals need to merge and get on with it. I heard from a friend in the back trenches that at least the NDP is watching to see how these offshoots of the CPC/PC party fare at breaking up that wall of right-wing voters who have no real choices themselves. New Blue did not do much for this in Ontario, though, so I think time's up.

Judy

Okay? Good for you? You win the "most dedicated Canadian" award. :lol:

Agreed on Jagmeet, and I remembered another issue. He was a smart candidate because the CPC had to be careful targeting him lest they hit racist territory too quick. Conservatives might not worry about the Sikh vote, but they certainly care about other Canadian voters with cultural ties to South Asia who... might not be able to ignore it. Jagmeet has made enough missteps that conservatives/convoyers have enough to go after him for without ever breaking a racist sweat.

I wonder still if he'd do better with better leadership/oversight within the party. But in the end, the buck stops with him, and the organizational issues with the NDP are his to own/fix, or get out of the way for someone else to.

Again, just another reason why the NDP/Liberals need to merge and get on with it. I heard from a friend in the back trenches that at least the NDP is watching to see how these offshoots of the CPC/PC party fare at breaking up that wall of right-wing voters who have no real choices themselves. New Blue did not do much for this in Ontario, though, so I think time's up.
Umm no. Why would I want to leave my home/family/friends. Because of politics? No.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I hope "not being caught up with politics obsessively" includes being sure to vote.

And sometimes "obsessive" about politics is a good thing. Look at what Trump was able to get away with in the US because people weren't paying as much attention as they could have, to small changes that added up over time.

Last edited:

pat c

Polivierre - for someone who has been involved in politics it is mind boggling that he has no clue about so many things. Which of course makes you wonder how many Canadians do not know what is in our constitution and what is fed/prov responsibilities. I wonder if party membership hasn't increased to do what Alberta does. Get a party membership so you can vote to make sure some or one candidate won't win.

Singh - nice guy, but.

Trudeau - he has some very good people in his party. I haven't been impressed with some of the things he's done, but I would rather him than a mean spirited rwnj.

Green party - since Elizabeth May has left, it's pretty well fallen off the map. Maybe it's time to merge with another party.

The Bloc? It will continue to be a thorn in everyone's side. The scary part of this is the Buffalo Party, the People's party, etc etc all want to follow in the Bloc's footsteps. Whine and moan and only think of themselves. And that seems to be where we are. 3 parties thinking about all of Canada, and a bunch of others with a limited pov. Scary.

MLIS

Polivierre - for someone who has been involved in politics it is mind boggling that he has no clue about so many things. Which of course makes you wonder how many Canadians do not know what is in our constitution and what is fed/prov responsibilities.
The thing about PP is I think he DOES know exactly what he's doing and saying, but he's appealing to a base that has a very limited grasp of these things, or that doesn't care. He'll say anything, even the most outrageous, ridiculous, outright lies, knowing they'll eat it up. A page right out of the Trump administration's handbook.

Judy

The thing about PP is I think he DOES know exactly what he's doing and saying, but he's appealing to a base that has a very limited grasp of these things, or that doesn't care. He'll say anything, even the most outrageous, ridiculous, outright lies, knowing they'll eat it up. A page right out of the Trump administration's handbook.
Yeah I really, really, really don’t like him.

pat c

Yes I agree that he'll say anything. At times, I honestly think we should have a competency/comprehension test for people who want to enter politics. When you read about some of the things that they say or say they endorse, you just go really?

Former Lurve Goddess

Yes I agree that he'll say anything. At times, I honestly think we should have a competency/comprehension test for people who want to enter politics. When you read about some of the things that they say or say they endorse, you just go really?
Personally, I think PP will say anything to rile up his base, but he likely also believes in at least half of the junk he spouts, which makes him extra worrisome.

Last edited:
Anyone know what this crowd is planning on protesting?

The only Covid restrictions I’m aware of now are masks on planes, trains and airports.

They say they are protesting vaccine mandates but that has gone the way of the Dodo bird now in Canada. :shuffle:

Perhaps they will be protesting that the USA won’t let them in? :lol:

I think it’s probably protesting Trudeau more than anything else. The guy said it’s because he hasn’t got his job back yet but I don’t see how protesting in Ottawa will help that. I’m sure I read somewhere that federal government employees were placed on unpaid leave not terminated, and they were able to come back to work.

Lifting mandates has caused all kinds of issues at my husband’s workplace. He’s in a federally regulated industry and his union local lost 5 people that refused to be vaccinated. They were, not the most cooperative and easiest people to work with, and while they’ve been short staffed, losing those people actually helped morale. Now the company has been inviting those people back, who were told their employment was terminated, and giving them their full seniority as if they’ve worked the months they were off. Worse, the union is supporting this. People are pissed. Especially the employees that didn’t want to get vaccinated but did. I’m no expert, but it seems like a dangerous precedent. I don’t even understand how it’s possible. They were terminated. They knew those were the consequences. Both the company and the union were very clear about that and they had months to decide what to do. Good luck trying to get cooperation with any similar public health measures in the future too. No one has an issue with them coming back, but they should lose seniority. They weren’t working! Or even employees!

skategal

Bunny mama
I think it’s probably protesting Trudeau more than anything else. The guy said it’s because he hasn’t got his job back yet but I don’t see how protesting in Ottawa will help that. I’m sure I read somewhere that federal government employees were placed on unpaid leave not terminated, and they were able to come back to work.

Lifting mandates has caused all kinds of issues at my husband’s workplace. He’s in a federally regulated industry and his union local lost 5 people that refused to be vaccinated. They were, not the most cooperative and easiest people to work with, and while they’ve been short staffed, losing those people actually helped morale. Now the company has been inviting those people back, who were told their employment was terminated, and giving them their full seniority as if they’ve worked the months they were off. Worse, the union is supporting this. People are pissed. Especially the employees that didn’t want to get vaccinated but did. I’m no expert, but it seems like a dangerous precedent. I don’t even understand how it’s possible. They were terminated. They knew those were the consequences. Both the company and the union were very clear about that and they had months to decide what to do. Good luck trying to get cooperation with any similar public health measures in the future too. No one has an issue with them coming back, but they should lose seniority. They weren’t working! Or even employees!
Yeah the federal public servants who were
on unpaid leave are all coming back Monday. They won’t get that time towards their pension unless they pay it back themselves.

That sucks about your husband’s workplace.

I think Trudeau took the wind out of the protestors sail when he suspended the federal mandates.

When I saw the news, I looked at my friend and said “Trudeau ruined the protestors summer now. No mandates to protest.” :rofl:

It they are protesting Trudeau, they should be honest about it.

Judy

Yeah the federal public servants who were
on unpaid leave are all coming back Monday. They won’t get that time towards their pension unless they pay it back themselves.

That sucks about your husband’s workplace.

I think Trudeau took the wind out of the protestors sail when he suspended the federal mandates.

When I saw the news, I looked at my friend and said “Trudeau ruined the protestors summer now. No mandates to protest.” :rofl:

It they are protesting Trudeau, they should be honest about it.
Oh the Ottawa convoy is expected back for Canada day .. although Canada Day not being held on the hill .. and police are preparing with RCMP/OPP again.

MLIS

Literally the only federal mandate left is masks on planes and trains. Not even vaccinations, just masks. Anything else is provincial or local, or private businesses. So they need to go protest somewhere else and leave Ottawa alone.

You know, if this was actually in any way, shape, or form about mandates. Which it isn’t, and never was.

Judy

Literally the only federal mandate left is masks on planes and trains. Not even vaccinations, just masks. Anything else is provincial or local, or private businesses. So they need to go protest somewhere else and leave Ottawa alone.

You know, if this was actually in any way, shape, or form about mandates. Which it isn’t, and never was.
My hairdresser told me when they went to Dominican Republic on March break there was no masking. i can’t remember if vaccines were required too. She said it depends on what the country requires that you are travelling to. So that confused me. Everything required upon re-entering Canada.

But yah we’re all so done with the convoy idiots.

Former Lurve Goddess

Yep. The freedumbers aren't protesting—they're holding 21st century Nuremberg Rallies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information