#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

manhn

I am fine with an election, even if the results are basically the same. When we vote in minority governments, this is what normally happens. The polling before the election indicated a Liberal majority, similar to what happened for the NDP in BC. Anyone who was unhappy with government these past couple of years directed their ire at Trudeau Trudeau Trudeau, not “that darn Liberal/NDP coalition!”. Any of those people vote Liberal to better ensure a Liberal majority? Somehow I doubt it.

This election was a rebuke of the right, IMO. If the Liberals called an election at a “better” time in a future where people forgot about antimaskers and antivaxxers, then the results could have been different to my dissatisfaction. So, I view this election as extending the minority government structure to a longer time than if Trudeau called the election a little later.

Anyways, besides when you dislike the leader, when were these times in the past when Canadians celebrated an election?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I agree with @manhn. Not a lot changed in the overall results, but if the election dampens down the extreme right wing in the country for a while, then I'm fine with it. But I may be biased because I'm in one of the ridings where the incumbent wasn't re-elected.

There were also some interesting trends like the decline in Alberta for the Tories in the popular vote. Take that, Jason Kenney.

Judy

I am fine with an election, even if the results are basically the same. When we vote in minority governments, this is what normally happens. The polling before the election indicated a Liberal majority, similar to what happened for the NDP in BC. Anyone who was unhappy with government these past couple of years directed their ire at Trudeau Trudeau Trudeau, not “that darn Liberal/NDP coalition!”. Any of those people vote Liberal to better ensure a Liberal majority? Somehow I doubt it.

This election was a rebuke of the right, IMO. If the Liberals called an election at a “better” time in a future where people forgot about antimaskers and antivaxxers, then the results could have been different to my dissatisfaction. So, I view this election as extending the minority government structure to a longer time than if Trudeau called the election a little later.

Anyways, besides when you dislike the leader, when were these times in the past when Canadians celebrated an election?
Canadians were excited in 2015 when Trudeau was first elected. Not everywhere of course but people were ready for a change.

manhn

I don’t recall skipping to the voting station that time (well, I advanced voting due to a trip to Thailand). But the people most excited about that election were those tired of Harper. I am sure Trudeau haters were motivated to vote this time.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
There's a very interesting thread on Twitter from the president of one of the larger NDP local riding associations in Toronto. She alleges that NDP central headquarters took so much $$$ in "rebates" from the riding associations, to fund Team Jagmeet's national campaign, that many local associations weren't able to afford their usual get-out-the-vote activities, like door knocking, reminder calls, and rides to the voting place on election day. The NDP apparently charges each riding association $1700 to use its centralized voter database and campaign management system, and some riding associations couldn't even afford that.

She also says that the NDP only has 5(!) active riding associations in Quebec, out of 78 ridings, and while a lot of young Quebec voters support the NDP in polls, the central headquarters never even consulted with those riding associations or with the Young NDP group in Quebec.

In reading the Tweets and the responses, it seems like a lot of NDP supporters are ticked off that Singh was riding around on a chartered jet, making TikTok videos and skateboarding to attract the youth vote, while financially starving the local organizations that would actually get those young voters out on election day.

Last edited:

pat c

There's a very interesting thread on Twitter from the president of one of the larger NDP local riding associations in Toronto. She alleges that NDP central headquarters took so much $$$ in "rebates" from the riding associations, to fund Team Jagmeet's national campaign, that many local associations weren't able to afford their usual get-out-the-vote activities, like door knocking, reminder calls, and rides to the voting place on election day. The NDP apparently charges each riding association $1700 to use its centralized voter database and campaign management system, and some riding associations couldn't even afford that..........
I know this from my neighbors. Unlike the Libs and Cons where if you donate to the local rep it stays there. Same with if you donate to the prov political arm of the federal parties it stays in the province. NDP doesn't, it goes into the national coffers and it's doled back out. And now it seems like they nickel and dime. Not good. I heard this years ago and it might have changed by now, I have no idea. I do know Notley in AB is raking it in right now, but that is provincial. So probably a different kettle of fish.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I know this from my neighbors. Unlike the Libs and Cons where if you donate to the local rep it stays there. Same with if you donate to the prov political arm of the federal parties it stays in the province. NDP doesn't, it goes into the national coffers and it's doled back out. And now it seems like they nickel and dime. Not good. I heard this years ago and it might have changed by now, I have no idea. I do know Notley in AB is raking it in right now, but that is provincial. So probably a different kettle of fish.

I think the NDP still does this. The Twitter thread mentioned that when a donor clicks on a "donate now" button online, the donation doesn't always go to the local candidate - even if it's presented as "Support [name of local candidate]". The Twitter author alleges that a lot of those donations go straight to NDP HQ, and the local riding association might not even know that a donation was made with the intent of supporting the local candidate.

Last edited:

Judy

I know the NDP was struggling financially for a while from a friend who worked on their campaign from a while ago.

I never had anyone come to my door knocking .. not sure if it was discouraged here with the Covid.

Desperado

In my riding after the election, some NDP supporters were discreetly mentioning on Twitter that the campaign infrastructure needs to empower local campaigns and build better organizing capacity so that would go in line with was you're saying @overedge and @pat c

As I've mentioned before, Singh strikes me as being more into his personal popularity than in getting votes for his party, so this type of funding would suit him too. As the Ontario election is coming in less than a year however, I would've much preferred him being at the head of the provincial NDP than "3 times a loser" Horwath, especially since the Liberal party is still DOA.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
As I've mentioned before, Singh strikes me as being more into his personal popularity than in getting votes for his party, so this type of funding would suit him too.

One of the local online news sites did an analysis of the NDP's Facebook ad spending in Singh's riding (Burnaby South) and the two other ridings in Burnaby. The party spent just over $90,000 on election ads on Facebook. Almost $80,000 of that was spent by Singh's campaign. So the other two candidates had $10,000 to split between them :eek:

One of those Burnaby ridings was predicted to swing back to the NDP, which it didn't, and the subtext of the story seemed to be that it could have if that other campaign had been given more resources.

Desperado

One of the local online news sites did an analysis of the NDP's Facebook ad spending in Singh's riding (Burnaby South) and the two other ridings in Burnaby. The party spent just over $90,000 on election ads on Facebook. Almost $80,000 of that was spent by Singh's campaign. So the other two candidates had $10,000 to split between them :eek:

One of those Burnaby ridings was predicted to swing back to the NDP, which it didn't, and the subtext of the story seemed to be that it could have if that other campaign had been given more resources.
Wish we would know the Tik Tok Burnaby spending too. I hear that a lot of “likers” on TT are under the legal voting age. They may be there next election. Or not.

On another subject - so glad the Michaels are finally home! I hope they can physically and mentally put these +1000 days behind them soon.

Kudos to all the Canadian and US diplomats who helped to resolve that quagmire situation.

Judy

Wish we would know the Tik Tok Burnaby spending too. I hear that a lot of “likers” on TT are under the legal voting age. They may be there next election. Or not.

On another subject - so glad the Michaels are finally home! I hope they can physically and mentally put these +1000 days behind them soon.

Kudos to all the Canadian and US diplomats who helped to resolve that quagmire situation.
Yes to the diplomats although big levels of govt were crucial. They were never going to be released without that witch not having the charges dropped by the U.S.

I can't imagine what those two men have gone through or their families. We should think twice before offering sacrificial lambs on behalf of the U.S. they lost 3 years of their lives for nothing.

skategal

Bunny mama
I’m watching the procession of cabinet ministers into Rideau Hall for swearing in and trying to recognize them with their masks on.

It’s a real guessing game of who they are and what portfolio they will have. :lol:

Whee Shawn Fraser from NS is there.

skategal

Bunny mama
Wow! Bit of a shake up for sure.

Eta.

I notice each regional economic development agency now has their own minister. It has been a long-standing criticism from the Conservatives that they didn’t so nice to see that fixed.

I think it signals a nod to the post-CV recovery programs and funding that will be flowing.

Also I like the additional of the Minister of Mental Wellness and Addictions. Sorry needed since forever especially now.

I agree with splitting Emergency Preparedness and Public Safety into two portfolios.

Last edited:

pat c

So did Garneau want to step away from being a minister?

I'm not surprised that Hadju wanted out of Health. I am surprised that Anand took Defense. That is going to be a tough one.

skategal

Bunny mama
Maybe. Rumour has it that he is getting Ambassador to France which is the biggest prize for a Quebec MP.

He probably wasn’t planning to run again anyway so that would be a sweet deal.

Speculation that Trudeau wants to run a star candidate in the riding in the by-election as it is the safest Liberal seat in Canada.

Judy

I'm not surprised that Hadju wanted out of Health. I am surprised that Anand took Defense. That is going to be a tough one.
You could not pay me enough to take defense but I think it's good that a woman is in there. I'm not sure what is necessary to clean up the mess in there but I do think it could take a long time. It definitely needs to start at the very top though.

fsfann

Maybe. Rumour has it that he is getting Ambassador to France which is the biggest prize for a Quebec MP.

He probably wasn’t planning to run again anyway so that would be a sweet deal.

Speculation that Trudeau wants to run a star candidate in the riding in the by-election as it is the safest Liberal seat in Canada.
Rumours I heard was that he was royally PISSED that he was taken out of cabinet.....

Desperado

Very curious to find out what happened with Garneau. From friends who worked for him, he was well respected and knew his stuff. Also thought he communicated well in both official languages. He strikes me as a man with integrity and don't think he would've run to only bow out afterwards. It would be pretty unfair to his constituents.

We've seen JT throw away older MPs and Liberals in the past, most I had no use for, but I hope it's not what happened with Garneau.

skategal

Bunny mama
Very curious to find out what happened with Garneau. From friends who worked for him, he was well respected and knew his stuff. Also thought he communicated well in both official languages. He strikes me as a man with integrity and don't think he would've run to only bow out afterwards. It would be pretty unfair to his constituents.

We've seen JT throw away older MPs and Liberals in the past, most I had no use for, but I hope it's not what happened with Garneau.
He may have just ended up as odd man out when trying to balance the cabinet for gender and regional diversity.

And JT offered him a nice carrot to encourage him to want to leave.

skatingguy

Good for you.

And do these media educate your citizens about, and make your country accountable for the human rights violations happening in your country right now? Are they advocating for and leading to change? Or are they defensive when reporting their own national issues but tend to attack other countries instead? Does your country have media that isn't heavily politically influenced or filled with political or national agenda one way or another?
Yes. The genocide against indigenous people in Canada has been acknowledged by the government.

That doesn't mean that we've addressed the issue. Far from it in fact, and there is still a lot of pressure being applied to the federal government, as well as provincial governments, and church leadership to do more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information