#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

The polling place I’m working at is not big enough. It’s fine if there’s no line but there’s no room for any line at all :wall: Oh well, thankfully while it’s been fairly steady, no poll has had big line ups so far.

One thing that I love about working elections is the excitement that new Canadians have voting for the first time. I had one lady originally from the US and she was thrilled. Also, very impressed with how simple voting is here :lol: Another lady originally from the Philippines was practically in tears she was so excited.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Apparently results in many ridings will be delayed, maybe even until later in the week, because of the numbers of advance votes and votes by mail, and/or because of not enough poll workers to count the votes quickly.
CBC had a person from Elections Canada on this morning, and they figured that 90 to 95% of the vote would be counted & totals known either tonight or tomorrow morning depending on your time zone, and that the rest could take a few days. The majority of ridings will be complete, but if the results are really close than it could delay a result. I guess we'll see how close the election results are by the end of the day to see what impact those last few outstanding votes might have. I feel like every time the media talks about the results coming down to the votes in BC the election is essentially decided long before the west coast polls have closed.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I feel like every time the media talks about the results coming down to the votes in BC the election is essentially decided long before the west coast polls have closed.

I think that's inevitable because of the numbers of ridings/seats in Central Canada, compared to the numbers in the rest of those seats. If there's a strong majority in those results, it's really difficult for the votes in the West to change that majority, even if most or all of those seats go to the minority party.

Last edited:

Lara

It's JJ style!
I don’t expect it to be remotely close in my riding but got the deed done.
I got lucky that my polling place was a church less than 5 minutes away. I think I waited about 10 minutes (partly outdoors) and then another 5-10 for both my parents to be done. If I was in the city I’d probably have voted by mail, but I figured it to be safe enough here.

skategal

Bunny mama
Several reports online of voters harassing and abusing elections Canada workers who asked them/reinforce wearing a mask or asking for their ID (which always happens at voting!).

Stay safe @made_in_canada

Judy

Several reports online of voters harassing and abusing elections Canada workers who asked them/reinforce wearing a mask or asking for their ID (which always happens at voting!).

Stay safe @made_in_canada
That's awful.

There was one lone security guard at the place I voted at it only took me less then 5 min and I was pretty much in and out. It's a gorgeous day here today too so I was glad I didn't have to wait.

These protestors act worse then a 2 year old having a tantrum.

UMBS Go Blue

Personally congratulating Beefy Bruno
CTV News live coverage - began at 6.30pm ET

CBC News live coverage - to begin at 7.00pm ET

CTV just aired a report from Maxime Bernier's election party in Saskatchewan:
  • even though he's from Beauce, he thinks he has good support out West
  • the party was supposed to be inside, but because of masking rules, it now has to be outside in a field :lol:

Lara

It's JJ style!
CTV just declared a victory for the Liberals (but too early to know the margin and whether they get the majority government).

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
The race in my riding (Kitchener Centre) is pretty exciting.

The Liberal incumbent was expelled from the party following complains of misconduct from female members of his staff. It was too late to take his name off the ballot though, so he's essentially running as an independent.

The Green Party candidate finished in 2nd place last time, so the Greens actually have a chance to pull off a win here. And if the lawn signs in my neighbourhood are anything to go on, they seem to have a lot of support. I took a walk around my block last week and counted 23 signs for the Green Party, 4 for NDP, and zero for anyone else.

Vagabond

CBC News live coverage - to begin at 7.00pm ET
"The pain of the last 35 days of an election."

:rolleyes: :violin: :barrel

ETA:

And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-- T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

Last edited:
Almost 18 hours later, I got to go home! It went by quickly. I wanted to throw something at the PPC candidate representative that was observing the ballot counting. She wouldn’t wear a mask so was wearing a face shield. But she kept pushing it up :rolleyes: I had to tell her to step back a couple of times. Then she started talking to another candidate rep about how you can’t trust the results, and elections are all fixed, yadda yadda. Like you’re literally there to ensure that things are done properly :wall:

coppertop1

Well…I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same. :lol:

No more elections for awhile please!

A provincial election followed by a Federal election is more than enough for me for quite awhile. :wall:

Ontario has its provincial election next year. Hopefully, we can give Ford the boot!

Overall, I will take this result over a CPC victory any day. Trudeau certainly isn't the best but by he is hasn't been the BBC worst be either. I don't think Canada is ready for a POC as prime minister.

Judy

Well…I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same. :lol:

No more elections for awhile please!

A provincial election followed by a Federal election is more than enough for me for quite awhile. :wall:
I am even worse because Ottawa will have a city election next year 😩😩😩

Judy

Almost 18 hours later, I got to go home! It went by quickly. I wanted to throw something at the PPC candidate representative that was observing the ballot counting. She wouldn’t wear a mask so was wearing a face shield. But she kept pushing it up :rolleyes: I had to tell her to step back a couple of times. Then she started talking to another candidate rep about how you can’t trust the results, and elections are all fixed, yadda yadda. Like you’re literally there to ensure that things are done properly :wall:
I was very happy they got defeated again. The last thing we need is a nutcase party in parliament.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
We're getting a municipal by-election sometime soon, because our new MP is a city councillor.

So glad to see the useless, talking-points reading, invisible former MP get the boot.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
We have municipal elections in Alberta next month. :wall:
We have more signs for the municipal election in my city than we ever did for the federal election. We have 3 people running for mayor and so many people running for council. I’m just hoping the interim mayor doesn’t win because she’s been spectacularly useless since January when she took over.

Judy

And can we have a 👏👏 for the Dean of the House of Commons (longest serving MP) Louis Plamondon, who was re-elected last night for the 13th time?

(He's also the brother of songwriter Luc Plamondon, which makes him extra popular in Quebec.)
I can’t stand the Bloc in Quebec so I am always whatever to what makes them happy. There is a lot wrong with that province. I live in Ottawa so yup see and experience it all.

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I'm not surprised it's pretty much the same as before, but wow, what a waste of time & money!

puglover

Not a good night for me - they announced a Liberal win and I spent last night at the hospital with atrial fibrillation. I have never had my heart race like that before. I am finally home with a bunch of pills and follow-up appointments. Not at all happy that Trudeau is my prime minister but certainly not worth dying over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information