#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

Judy

Many of the issues with the Phoenix pay system had people working full time and not getting paid or not getting their full pay but were still expected to work and not complain about it with little sympathy from the public or politicians.

But yes, different issue.
Living in Ottawa but not employed by govt ... Phoenix was a financial nightmare. People weren't paid for months.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Except htat's not true. A lot of people on Social Assistance applied for it and received it. Legally they were not entitled to it, but they got it anyway, and there is no way in hell that the gov't will do anything about it. The whole thing is a mess, just like the Phoenix Pay System.

People on Social Assistance don't qualify for the CERB. And yes, the government can do something about it. However, people with a lot more money than those on social assistance managed to get the CERB.

And the government is looking for those people.

I personally know families with 18-22 year olds who were on student assistance one all summer long and they chose not to work. They made a little less money than they would have made working, but instead they relaxed at their parents' houses and hung out ont he beach all summer long, while everyone else tried to keep the economy going. So yes, there was lots of abuse with the programs. Of course many people needed it, and I'm glad it was there for them....but the abuse because of the ease at which you could apply and have the magical $$$ deposited into your account was insane.
Are you aware of all the people who collect EI when they could be working, or could at least be looking for work and are not? People who choose seasonal work just because they get EI? I had a friend who was a sub teacher and she organized her schedule to ensure she had Christmas holds and summer off, every year for many years (it pissed me off).

People have been doing this for years, and the cost involved is far greater than the cost of people who collected CERB.

When you apply for CERB, you have to certify that you are aware collecting it without being qualified is a criminal offense.

fsfann

People on Social Assistance don't qualify for the CERB. And yes, the government can do something about it. However, people with a lot more money than those on social assistance managed to get the CERB.

And the government is looking for those people.

Are you aware of all the people who collect EI when they could be working, or could at least be looking for work and are not? People who choose seasonal work just because they get EI? I had a friend who was a sub teacher and she organized her schedule to ensure she had Christmas holds and summer off, every year for many years (it pissed me off).

People have been doing this for years, and the cost involved is far greater than the cost of people who collected CERB.

When you apply for CERB, you have to certify that you are aware collecting it without being qualified is a criminal offense.
Absolutely. HTere is a lot of abuse. THat's my point. Do you honestly think the collectors at CRA are going to go through the millions of CERB payments and figure out if people should have gotten the money or not? They won't. THey never do... case in point with EI and the abuse that system is under.

pat c

Absolutely. HTere is a lot of abuse. THat's my point. Do you honestly think the collectors at CRA are going to go through the millions of CERB payments and figure out if people should have gotten the money or not? They won't. THey never do... case in point with EI and the abuse that system is under.

They do and they will. Just because you don't think it's happening, doesn't mean it isn't. ;)

manhn

While visiting Montreal, I noticed that the political signs are so much nicer than the ones we have in Vancouver. Big photos of the candidates, so photogenic. Usually, we just get the names.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
This week the residents' association in my neighbourhood hosted an online all-candidates meeting. My riding had the closest margin of victory in the entire country last time around, so you would think the candidates would be eager to speak to the voters. But the association president had to get on Twitter and FB and embarrass the candidates to get enough of them to agree to participate.

When the meeting happened, the Liberal candidate (who's been running his campaign since last spring) couldn't be arsed to show up, even though the moderator was texting and phoning, trying to find him. Not impressed. The Marxist-Leninist candidate also ghosted.

The Conservative candidate (current MP) and the NDP candidate were both very well spoken. But the Conservative candidate started every response with something like "well, that's a very important question", and you could tell she was buying time while flipping through her list of talking points to find what she was supposed to say :rolleyes:

The People's Party of Canada candidate doesn't live in the riding - she doesn't even live nearby - but she decided to sign up because "there's a message we need to get out there". The message seemed to be vaccines, masks and immigrants = bad. She said some things that were frankly racist.

But beyond the candidates, what was super depressing were the pre-submitted questions from the voters. Why doesn't the government stop China from sending opioids to Canada? Why should the CBC get any public money when it is so biased? Why does Canada spend so much on foreign aid when people are starving here? I submitted a question asking why the Conservative MP voted against banning conversion therapy, but oddly there was no time for that question to be asked :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Our local PPC candidate said in a candidate's forum that gender based violence didn't exist. Then said that he's a fisherman and he knows cabin fever and that lockdowns lead to boredom that results in "slapping women around" :scream:

The PPC has been very aggressive around here. They were harassing people in grocery store parking lots here. How that's supposed to lead to votes I have no idea. They are awful, awful, people. And have all the hallmarks of a group of people that are capable of violence. I am very concerned about how much support they seem to have around here. Not that I think they'll get voted in, but white supremacists banding together does not end well.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Our local PPC candidate said in a candidate's forum that gender based violence didn't exist. Then said that he's a fisherman and he knows cabin fever and that lockdowns lead to boredom that results in "slapping women around" :scream:

The PPC has been very aggressive around here. They were harassing people in grocery store parking lots here. How that's supposed to lead to votes I have no idea. They are awful, awful, people. And have all the hallmarks of a group of people that are capable of violence. I am very concerned about how much support they seem to have around here. Not that I think they'll get voted in, but white supremacists banding together does not end well.
Definitely a scary bunch. They're constantly holding rallies and saying they're not anti vaxxers but I find that hard to believe.

If anyone isn’t busy on Monday and wants to make some decent money, call your local elections office ASAP. I had training last night and our electoral district is short people and I doubt we're unique. They need people to help with counting (no training required, you basically are there when polls close until everything is counted solely to make sure the people counting are being accurate and help tally), and may still have training for deputy returning officers if you want to work all day. It’s a long day, but I actually enjoy working elections :)

Judy

They do and they will. Just because you don't think it's happening, doesn't mean it isn't. ;)
It is likely more automated and then will narrow down. Honestly it's nothing I worry about.

(I realize that this didn't capture the full conversation so not specifically directed to you).

Judy

I just feel like previous Conservative leaders, even when I hated their policies, were a lot more honest and you knew what you were getting if you voted for them.
Not sure any politician is honest as far as what is “safe” to tell the public.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Being a politician is probably the worst job in the world. You have to be a snake to get ahead. It scares me how much is really swept under the rug.

Judy

Being a politician is probably the worst job in the world. You have to be a snake to get ahead. It scares me how much is really swept under the rug.
I would hate hate hate being in politics. I could never, ever live in a media spotlight and politics usually doesn't grab my attention a lot. Someone has to do it obviously.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
@skategal As much as I dislike the Conservative party, I kind of feel sorry for O'Toole. He's proposing some (some, not all) progressive policies, while there's Conservative MPs with very regressive views. There is no way he is going to be able to get them to support his ideas. Basically, he's doomed.

skategal

Bunny mama
@skategal As much as I dislike the Conservative party, I kind of feel sorry for O'Toole. He's proposing some (some, not all) progressive policies, while there's Conservative MPs with very regressive views. There is no way he is going to be able to get them to support his ideas. Basically, he's doomed.
I feel like he’s saying whatever he wants to get elected. He’s been so wishy washy on his positions I don’t trust him at all.

At least with the others you knew you were getting a right-wing hard-liner.

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
I just feel like previous Conservative leaders, even when I hated their policies, were a lot more honest and you knew what you were getting if you voted for them.

I feel the opposite. Especially with Harper. I found him to be terribly dishonest, and condescending to the people. And Mulroney was just as sleazy as they come. His law firm went out of business under a cloud of allegations of "billing irregularities", to the surprise of no one on Bay Street. Lavish catered dinners for staffers working late - billed to files. Our firm gave us a $10 meal voucher.

The last conservative leader I have any regard for at all was John Diefenbaker.

fsfann

In the previous leadership campaign, O'Toole ran as who he was...a Progressive Conservative/Red Tory. He came from that side of the party and got a lot of support from that wing of the party and ended up 4th I believe? (maybe 3rd?) In the most recent leadership campaign though, those people supported Peter MacKay, so O'Toole had to shift right to get support from the old "reform" side of the party. It makes it a challenge to now portray himself back to who he has always been and will be as PM. He has been clear with his positions, and also clear that he will not force people to change their personal beliefs to run for the party. Personally I'm not bothered by that as many others are, especially if their position through their platform and policies (voted on by the party) go against what some of the 'fringe' members personally believe. I still wish Rona Ambrose had run for the leadership, but.... I am also holding out hope that Lisa Raitt is busy working on her French so she can be a more viable candidate next time around...

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Last edited:

fsfann

@fsfann Lisa Raitt is managing her husband's care - he has early onset Alzheimers. I don't think she's going to be a candidate for any political position in the near future.
Agree. He in a home etc... but she is definitely devoting a lot of her time to Bruce's care right now.

Judy

Well I lost my election card although I know it's somewhere. First time ever that has happened. I can vote without it though but really pisses me off.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Apparently results in many ridings will be delayed, maybe even until later in the week, because of the numbers of advance votes and votes by mail, and/or because of not enough poll workers to count the votes quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information