#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

quartz

scratching at the light
The closest one to me is, I believe, the Mohawk Institute Residential School in Brantford. There are strong calls for an investigation of the grounds and I expect we will see some results fairly soon ... https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-ne...f-former-mohawk-institute-residential-school/
Brantford is a little over an hour east of me. We have the Chippewas and Oneidas, and in the past, Iroquois and many other nations - just down the road is the Southwold Earthworks, a 500 year old Neutral Indian site. A very good family friend is Ojibway from Manitoulin, my husband has an aunt who is Cree. There are thousands of years of history all around this area.
I haven’t heard if they are going to investigate the Mount Elgin site, but I would assume all sites will eventually be. It’s all just so heartbreaking.

Japanfan

There was a reserve just 15 minutes away from the northern mining town I grew up in. None of the whites ever went there - excepting police and probably other government workers. We didn't think much about them all, and they were commonly viewed negatively, of course. To the point of not being humans equal to whites.

There must have been a residential school on the reserve, as the residents never went to school in town.

The natives had their own coffee shop, and there own sections in the bar - back of the bar.

We got used to them coming into town on welfare day and seeing them in the pubs, but didn't think much about it, didn't ask about how they lived, nor consider their well-being. I had perhaps a little more contact with them as others in town, since they made beautiful souveneirs for my dad's drug store. They also used to steal perfume from the store sometimes, for the alcohol, and it comforts me to remember that dad never called the cops on them.

Of course we had no knowledge of what Canada had done to Indigenous people, and didn't think to ask. There was an implicit agreement not to talk about it.

I was always fascinated by them - perhaps because they were different, like me, a Jew in a largely Christian town.

My first boyfriend lived in a part of town close to the Reserve, and his two brothers and one sister all had native spouses. That was my first real introduction to Indigenous people.

To think that we lived so close to Canada's first peoples without barely recognizing their right to be there still horrifies me.

eusebius

This is the most low-key, sad Canada Day I've ever experienced. But it is so necessary for us to look closely at the systemic racism in our country and its tragic consequences. And of course to do everything we can to change it.

Judy

This is the most low-key, sad Canada Day I've ever experienced. But it is so necessary for us to look closely at the systemic racism in our country and its tragic consequences. And of course to do everything we can to change it.
It’s not easy to digest at all. I do believe this is horrifying enough to be a game changer for how First Nations and reserves are seen and treated in Canada.

Residential schools were not in the reserves themselves. Kids were taken far away. 🤢. Forcibly sometimes 🤢🤢.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
It's the first of July, normally people would be wishing others a Happy Canada Day, but it doesn't feel right anymore. People are completely divided, with some cancelling festivities (understandable) to others posting only about orange shirts & reconciliations. I don't want to give up Canada Day, but a Reconciliation Day would be a better way.

Japanfan

It's the first of July, normally people would be wishing others a Happy Canada Day, but it doesn't feel right anymore. People are completely divided, with some cancelling festivities (understandable) to others posting only about orange shirts & reconciliations. I don't want to give up Canada Day, but a Reconciliation Day would be a better way.

I would like to see a national holiday celebrating Indigenous peoples. Fit it in the calendar somehow. Feature Indigenous dancing and drumming in various venues, use the day to educate kids in schools. A lot of people still don't know the details of the discrimination - for example, how the foster system has arguably replaced the residential school system to separate Indigenous children for their families. Or how native women lost their status when they married white men, thus being separated from their communities and traditions.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
It is a good idea.

14 states now celebrate Indigenous People's Day instead of Columbus Day. This idea was brought up at the UN in 1977.

Connecticut is not one of the few, the proud, but we are getting there, a city at a time.

There has been strife and dissension over this, and even you polite Canadians may see some strife.

Another option would be to choose a time celebrated by indigenous peoples.

In CT, we have at least two large Native American celebrations, both of which are open to the public, and celebrated in the second half of August, and are harvest/thanksgiving type celebrations.

The Mashnatucket Pequot Schemitzun (feast of green corn and dance)

and the Mohegan Wigwam Festival, (feast of green corn)

And there are powwows celebrated all over the country ( not, due to YKW)

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I would like to see a national holiday celebrating Indigenous peoples. Fit it in the calendar somehow. Feature Indigenous dancing and drumming in various venues, use the day to educate kids in schools. A lot of people still don't know the details of the discrimination - for example, how the foster system has arguably replaced the residential school system to separate Indigenous children for their families. Or how native women lost their status when they married white men, thus being separated from their communities and traditions.

I think it's a good choice of date as kids are fresh and settled in school so it's a great opportunity to really start teaching our dark history to Canadians the way Germans taught their dark history to their children.

Also June is National Indigenous Month with June 21 being National Indigenous Peoples Day (Summer Solstice) . In Ottawa there is a festival around this time https://summersolsticefestivals.ca/. A highlight of the festival is a Competition Pow Wow: https://www.crazycrow.com/site/event/ottawa-summer-solstice-competition-pow-wow/

I have also been to:
http://www.ottawavalley.travel/Even...ins_of_Pikwakanagan_Traditional_Pow_Wow_.html. It's on the reserve so a different way to experience it. Looking back on my experience there and some of the things that were said in conjunction with the events of the last month and I have an even deeper understanding of some of the underlying sentiments I felt at the time. I think you can go to some throughout North America.

Judy

Living in Ottawa I have I think maybe met 2-3 First Nations people and only briefly.

I have met the National Chief Perry Bellegarde and some of his staff through a job I was working at where they had come in to discuss … can’t remember what. I was working for the European Delegation so they were coming in to discuss with the european ambassadors.

I shouldn’t say I met him though .. I saw him. His staff gave me a piin and were very professional (All First Nations). We had only prepared the room for them.

DFJ

I'm sorry, I can't link anything on this ridiculous phone of mine but I recommend searching YouTube for content of Gordon Downie (of the Tragically Hip) and his relationship with First Nations. Makes me very proud of this amazing Canadian that we lost far too soon.

Judy

(I am late It was low to mid 20s in Vancouver today, it was downright chilly. Commercial Drive was closed to cars today, as people are creating an Every Child Matters mural on the street.

I am heartbroken about Lytton. Such awful devastation.
Yes I hadn’t heard anything until you had posted this. I am late in posting this too. So devastating 😢😔😢.

MLIS

Oh, I am hearing for the first time a potential high speed rail between Toronto and Quebec City. Makes attending skating events so much easier!
They were talking about this on the radio last night (I'm in Ottawa). It's not really going to be "high speed," there will be track and train upgrades that make the trains go faster (and some route changes that allow the trains to run more on tracks that Via Rail owns, most delays now are caused by Via having to work around freight train traffic, since the freight companies own the tracks), but it won't be bullet trains or anything, they're talking about shaving 25 minutes here, an hour there. What they are saying will be the big improvement is that they will be "high frequency," and run on a set schedule, like, trains every hour at 10 minutes past the hour or whatever, the way a lot of intercity rail works in Europe and other places. So if your meeting goes late and you miss your train, you know you can get the next one in an hour, that kind of thing. Sounds promising!

Desperado

I hear that for now, it would be just high frequency changes (ex. no more freights on same tracks) with a bit more speed, the high speed to be implemented progressively later on: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/high-frequency-rail-project-1.6090930

It would still be so great that I'm afraid to hope. Of course, the Liberals would have to win in October/November, and with consultations and the like, I see this as a 10-yr project, that would get tricky again in 4 yrs. I hope that there is enough positive buzz from the announcement that all parties would want it to happen, but my faith in politicians doing good for the general population and the environment is at an all time low.

We posted at the same time @MLIS :biggrinbo I'm in Ottawa too.

Lara

It's JJ style!
I still remember being blown away by how many different places I could go to within a ~3h train ride when I was in the UK. I really wish that was possible here, that’s the major downside of Canada’s land size.

ETA - I also felt I had more options for easy trips in the US when I was in NY/PA given the northeast corridor.

MLIS

I hear that for now, it would be just high frequency changes (ex. no more freights on same tracks) with a bit more speed, the high speed to be implemented progressively later on: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/high-frequency-rail-project-1.6090930

It would still be so great that I'm afraid to hope. Of course, the Liberals would have to win in October/November, and with consultations and the like, I see this as a 10-yr project, that would get tricky again in 4 yrs. I hope that there is enough positive buzz from the announcement that all parties would want it to happen, but my faith in politicians doing good for the general population and the environment is at an all time low.

We posted at the same time @MLIS :biggrinbo I'm in Ottawa too.
Yes, I am afraid to hope, too. We are in a pattern now, both federally and provincially, where the Liberals are in power, announce a bunch of spending and projects but don't finish anything, in the next election the Conservatives take power and cancel everything, seemingly just on principle because it was a Liberal project. Lather, rinse, repeat. This will be a multiyear project requiring cooperation from the feds and two provinces. Seems unlikely to go smoothly.

Judy

Yes, I am afraid to hope, too. We are in a pattern now, both federally and provincially, where the Liberals are in power, announce a bunch of spending and projects but don't finish anything, in the next election the Conservatives take power and cancel everything, seemingly just on principle because it was a Liberal project. Lather, rinse, repeat. This will be a multiyear project requiring cooperation from the feds and two provinces. Seems unlikely to go smoothly.There’s def going to be an election called soon.
Well everyone’s expecting a fall election. Honestly, the last thing I feel like is an election. It’s been a really long year as it is.

UMBS Go Blue

Personally congratulating Beefy Bruno
Game on! From "Choose Forward" in 2019 to "Forward for Everyone" in 2021. :unsure:

I'd still vote Liberal if I were Canadian - or NDP if that party's candidate was clearly better and/or more viable in my riding. My Vote Compass survey result:

72% - Liberal Party
62% - New Democratic Party
60% - Green Party
46% - Conservative Party
20% - People's Party

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information