#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

pat c

This from my Ottawa newspaper today. People tend to forget that the original conservative party is not the same after they merged parties. I can’t remember the new of the party they merged with.

The Reform Party.

I really like our conservative MP from what I know of him just as a person but unless he's willing to call out some of the horrific in the Conservative party I can't in good conscience vote for him. He's not vocally supporting those views, but it's not enough. I live in a riding that has been conservative for a long time, but the Liberal candidate has been doing better in the previous two elections so I'm hopeful that we can put some pressure on him. I have reservations about Trudeau too, but they pale in comparison to my concerns about O'Toole and the more he talks the more concerned I get. I've watched some of my conservative friends get more and more vocally extreme and it's kind of terrifying.

Judy

I really like our conservative MP from what I know of him just as a person but unless he's willing to call out some of the horrific in the Conservative party I can't in good conscience vote for him. He's not vocally supporting those views, but it's not enough. I live in a riding that has been conservative for a long time, but the Liberal candidate has been doing better in the previous two elections so I'm hopeful that we can put some pressure on him. I have reservations about Trudeau too, but they pale in comparison to my concerns about O'Toole and the more he talks the more concerned I get. I've watched some of my conservative friends get more and more vocally extreme and it's kind of terrifying.
Where do you live? I’m in Ottawa. Yeah I’ve seen some conservative “friends” kinda getting pretty vocal. I haven’t really been following our politics wwhat has O’Toole been saying?

MLIS

CBC was reporting staff at Rideau Hall were weeping with relief. I worked for a similar government/cultural institution where we had a head who resigned in some disgrace after years of toxicity, and I will never forget that day. People crying, people dancing in the parking lot, people going to the liquor store and coming back with champagne. I am with the staff of Rideau Hall in spirit tonight.

Dave of the North

Omg yes. Huge, huge, huge embarrassment to Trudeau.

Yes, his "vetting" consists of diversity checkboxes. He trashed the Vice-Regal Appointments committee that was in place before so it's totally on him.

I read a comment somewhere that her major accomplishment was to make Adrienne Clarkson ("I'm Adrienne Clarkson and you're not") look less awful by comparison. :lol:

Payette actually said "We all experience things differently" which is a dig at Trudeau who apparently said the same thing when he was accused of groping a reporter.

skategal

Bunny mama
CBC was reporting staff at Rideau Hall were weeping with relief. I worked for a similar government/cultural institution where we had a head who resigned in some disgrace after years of toxicity, and I will never forget that day. People crying, people dancing in the parking lot, people going to the liquor store and coming back with champagne. I am with the staff of Rideau Hall in spirit tonight.
Yeah we had that at our work too.

The head hasn’t resigned yet....still on leave but we are hopeful.

There will be a party... :lol:

Judy

Yes, his "vetting" consists of diversity checkboxes. He trashed the Vice-Regal Appointments committee that was in place before so it's totally on him.

I read a comment somewhere that her major accomplishment was to make Adrienne Clarkson ("I'm Adrienne Clarkson and you're not") look less awful by comparison. :lol:

Payette actually said "We all experience things differently" which is a dig at Trudeau who apparently said the same thing when he was accused of groping a reporter.
I actually had a military friend that worked with Clarkson as her official photographer when she was GG. She absolutely despised Clarkson’s husband lol. I think she was ok with Clarkson though.

Judy

Yeah we had that at our work too.

The head hasn’t resigned yet....still on leave but we are hopeful.

There will be a party... :lol:
There is absolutely almost nothing worse then working in a toxic work environment. I entered into a same work situation in 2019 and quit after 3 weeks. It makes me mad that workplace harassment is really unable to be enforced when there is nobody to turn to. it’s a really, really good thing the staff there formed as a group and fought back.

I am more then sure that the staff there are overwhelmed with relief and happiness. I feel so bad for them but at the same time so happy for how they are feeling today.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Plus whoever in Trudeau's office was doing the vetting forgot to talk to her previous employers, where she had also been accused of bullying and harassment.

I'm not so sure about making Clarkson look worse by comparison, though. Clarkson is still taking advantage of being able to bill expenses to the government, and IIRC is the only former Governor-General to bill more than $100K a year every year since she left office.

skatingguy

Plus whoever in Trudeau's office was doing the vetting forgot to talk to her previous employers, where she had also been accused of bullying and harassment.

I'm not so sure about making Clarkson look worse by comparison, though. Clarkson is still taking advantage of being able to bill expenses to the government, and IIRC is the only former Governor-General to bill more than $100K a year every year since she left office.
Clarkson has used that money to do a great deal of charity work across the country. We Canadians have this thing about spending money, and we are far too cheap far too often.

skategal

Bunny mama
I’m a Red Tory, was once very involved in the party. Now there is no place for me there.
Many people here in NS say the same. There are a lot of Red Tories here as well.

Also, there is much disappointment that Peter MacKay didn’t get party leader when it was clear that he was the best hope to defeat Trudeau.

MacKay would have taken a chunk of the Liberal vote in Atlantic Canada.

Dave of the North

What's the difference between a Red Tory and a Liberal?

To extend this, what's the difference between Erin O'Toole's Tories and the Liberals. As far as I see, their policies are to do pretty well the same things the Liberals would do, but somehow better.

Meanwhile Rex Murphy putting the boots to the Liberals and a few more:

Rex Murphy blasting the Liberal government

"Judging by their performance on the most important files, the current bunch in Ottawa would need to hire a consultant to figure out how to get wet in a thunderstorm, and set up a task force to study how to tie their own shoes."

"The country is in an economic coma. The House of Commons is a movie set. We are shamed in the international community. Contracts on ********* are all Top Secret. There is zero reliability on any projection made by a minister or the prime minister on where we are on vaccines and distribution. Rideau Hall is shortly to be listed on Airbnb. [Me: :rofl:]Farmers have been hit by fuel and carbon taxes. Newfoundland teeters on bankruptcy. The West has never felt so far out of things. I could go on."

and much more...

Judy

To extend this, what's the difference between Erin O'Toole's Tories and the Liberals. As far as I see, their policies are to do pretty well the same things the Liberals would do, but somehow better.

"Judging by their performance on the most important files, the current bunch in Ottawa would need to hire a consultant to figure out how to get wet in a thunderstorm, and set up a task force to study how to tie their own shoes."

"The country is in an economic coma. The House of Commons is a movie set. We are shamed in the international community. Contracts on ********* are all Top Secret. There is zero reliability on any projection made by a minister or the prime minister on where we are on vaccines and distribution. Rideau Hall is shortly to be listed on Airbnb. [Me: :rofl:]Farmers have been hit by fuel and carbon taxes. Newfoundland teeters on bankruptcy. The West has never felt so far out of things. I could go on."

and much more...
Ok Rideau Hall and Airbrib 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. That’s awesome.

DFJ

and much more...

Nothing about Trudeau Rex Murphy doesn't hate.

Judy

Clarkson has used that money to do a great deal of charity work across the country. We Canadians have this thing about spending money, and we are far too cheap far too often.
Don’t even get into the Senate. Cdns pay a lot in taxes so we complain. Our senate is a complete waste of money though.

Vagabond

Here is The New York Times on the subject:

William Amos, a Canadian lawmaker, said he had just come back from a jog on Wednesday and was changing into work clothes when he realized that the camera on his computer was on.

By then, stunned fellow lawmakers in a legislative session had already seen him standing naked in his room, between the flags of Canada and Quebec.

The session was broadcast publicly, but the image of Mr. Amos was not shown on the broadcast because he was not speaking at the time. Still, Mr. Amos could be seen by other members watching the session on a private Zoom feed.
Lawmakers said on Thursday that they were furious that someone had taken a photo of Mr. Amos appearing nude on their computer screen. Someone then posted the image on social media, prompting inevitable mockery as it circulated widely across Canada and beyond.
These, however, are only the bare facts. :shuffle:

skategal

Bunny mama
What, no love for Victoria Day from our Canadian members? Our local public radio station in Virginia USA is playing music to commemorate it after a fashion (Canadian composers or performers).
We like to call it May 24th weekend (even though it doesn’t always fall on May 24th.) :lol:

I’m guessing because most of the country is still under CV restrictions or lockdown (We are) that there is not much going on to talk about this year. :shuffle:

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
What, no love for Victoria Day from our Canadian members? Our local public radio station in Virginia USA is playing music to commemorate it after a fashion (Canadian composers or performers).

No concerts, no fire works, and too early for beaches. But it was beautiful and sunny and people were out in the parks.

Judy

No concerts, no fire works, and too early for beaches. But it was beautiful and sunny and people were out in the parks.
There were fireworks in the park behind me last night .. likely again tonight.

i am kinda dead from all the gardening this weekend but pretty much almost done! Summer is short here so it’s a rush to get things done lol. Gorgeous day today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information