#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

Jenny

From the Bloc
I just read it - it's a very long read, and if people only read the first few paragraphs (which is very likely in this day and age) then they will come away with the impression that it's a starry-eyed love letter. Writer likely did that to hook his largely American audience, as did the cover headline writer. But then it goes on to cover everything - every promise not met, every mistake made, every controversial issue, every failure, every character flaw.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-prime-minister-free-worlds-best-hope-w494098

Doesn't help his cause much in Canada though, where inevitably, supporters will love it and haters gonna find a million things to hate about it. Or quote back against him.

I'm also hoping that no one on Trump's team reads it, because it won't help Canada's cause there either.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-prime-minister-free-worlds-best-hope-w494098

Japanfan

I like the closing paragraph:
Trudeau heads back toward his three-car motorcade that stops at all red lights. In the hall, a couple hundred kids hold signs that say "Hope" and "Respect." They grab his sleeve and then skitter away wearing giant smiles. It would have been corny if it had not been so goddamned beautiful. This is Trudeau's vision of what a country can be. His land races toward inclusion, while our nation builds walls and lusts for an era of vanilla homogeneity that ain't coming back. At this moment, Justin Trudeau's Canada looks like a beautiful place to ride out an American storm.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I don't know Chang but applaud the other choices. Barton is excellent on her politics show, so glad she's moving up. Arsenault is a serious journalist, which is what we need more than ever right now. Hanomansing has that reassuring air of old time newsmen that again, I think we need right now. I also like the idea of a team - there's a lot going on out there, so a broad and balanced approach is needed.

Wonder if they will continue the At Issue panels that Mansbridge always hosted, and Rex Murphy?

Jenny

From the Bloc
In other news, Trudeau "regrets" his remark in the Rolling Stone article about Brazeau, but didn't say so until after some First Nations activists spoke up. I know I raised my eyebrow when I read that passage, and although Brazeau has said he considers it a compliment, Trudeau should've known better given the larger context. There's a limit to how many times you can do and say stupid things, and I think soon an apology will no longer be enough.

pat c

In other news, Trudeau "regrets" his remark in the Rolling Stone article about Brazeau, but didn't say so until after some First Nations activists spoke up. I know I raised my eyebrow when I read that passage, and although Brazeau has said he considers it a compliment, Trudeau should've known better given the larger context. There's a limit to how many times you can do and say stupid things, and I think soon an apology will no longer be enough.

Yes I agree Trudeau has to be more careful with his remarks. I don't think this one will hurt him tho. Brazeau isn't someone a lot of people feel much sympathy for. The next time? It will count.

skategal

Bunny mama
I think we are forgetting previous PMs.

Harper and Chrétien both said stupid things and they were in office for 10 years each. :shuffle: :lol:

Jenny

From the Bloc
They all say stupid things, but nowadays there's no hiding or hoping no one notices. Now everything is searchable and shareable forever.

Just the other day I was speaking to a few people at a BBQ who I hadn't seen in awhile and in describing our new neighbours, mentioned their ethnicity - as it came out of my mouth I realized that some might take that as some sort of racist thing because why does it matter? But I was simply trying to paint a picture and offered that detail among others. My guess is that was what Trudeau was trying to do for the reporter - however given the complexity of indigenous issues right now, IMO he should have been more sensitive.

Jenny

From the Bloc
And what do we make of the fact that the article came out a week ago but the initial opposition response was all about how he had surely damaged NAFTA talks?

skategal

Bunny mama
I'm not condoning what Trudeau said but I don't think it will hurt him.

The fact that the big concern initially was sabotaging NAFTA is further proof that his comments won't hurt him.

Although the climate is changing, unfortunately the general public still doesn't care that much about Indigenous concerns.

Japanfan

I'm not condoning what Trudeau said but I don't think it will hurt him.

I just watched the video, and he clearly spoke in jest.

I think Justin has a self-depreciating quality, and I find it very appealing. He doesn't take himself all that seriously, although he does take the role of PM seriously.

It was that self-depreciation that caused me to pretty much ignore him during the debates leading up to the last election. I really paid him no mind until I started focusing in better on what he was saying, and he grew on me, just as he grew stronger.

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
I think the debates are what turned the election around. Although few saw them in their entirety, the soundbites and highlights in the news the next day really changed the course of the election I think.

I had hoped for a similar result in the US knowing that Clinton is a master debater, but sadly it was a very different kind of election in the end.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Me either - and I found this part particularly interesting given today's news south of the border:

Also not widely recognised is that Canada has a high level of migrants in its school population.

More than a third of young adults in Canada are from families where both parents are from another country.

But the children of newly-arrived, migrant families seem to integrate rapidly enough to perform at the same high level as their classmates.

So how has Canada overtaken so many other countries in education?

Andreas Schleicher, the OECD's education director, says Canada's "big uniting theme is equity".

Despite the different policies in individual provinces, there is a common commitment to an equal chance in school.

He says there is a strong sense of fairness and equal access - and this is seen in the high academic performance of migrant children.

manhn

The theme of equity resonates. Every year, The Stoopid Fraser Institute hands out a list of the best schools in BC. My high school is usually something like no. 112 out of 130 high schools. But I turned out okay and so did a lot of my friends. I don't think there are those wiiiiddddeee gaps in quality amongst schools that you may see, uhm, somewhere else.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Is it possible that Canada would consider some kind of asylum program for DACA people from the US?
That does not seem to be the case now?
https://www.buzzfeed.com/adolfoflores/immigrants-fleeing-to-canada?utm_term=.jq8mlGN3Y#.uoeazNQDq

For Canadians unfamiliar with the details of the program:

DACA young people in the USA are people who came to the US without documents as children, and who have self-identified themselves to the goverment as such. They are increasingly being threatened
by the Trump adminstration with deportation to countries they may not remember or remember indistinctly, where likely they have few or no close relatives, and whose language they may not even speak.

They have had to meet the following requirements:

• You were under 31 years old as of June 15, 2012;
  • You first came to the United States before your 16th birthday;
  • You have lived continuously in the United States from June 15, 2007 until the present;
  • You were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012 and at the time you apply;
  • You came to the United States without documents before June 15, 2012, or your lawful status expired as of June 15, 2012;
  • You are currently studying, or you graduated from high school or earned a certificate of completion of high school or GED, or have been honorably discharged from the Coast Guard or military (technical and trade school completion also qualifies); and
  • You have NOT been convicted of a felony, certain significant misdemeanors (including a single DUI), or three or more misdemeanors of any kind

This is even more worrisome as ICE agents are doing stuff like stopping random public buses to see whether they can find any undocumented people anywhere within 100 miles of the US border with either Canada or Mexico (this was on Vermont Public Radio yesterday when a bus was stopped in White River Junction.)

Also stuff like this
http://digital.vpr.net/post/ice-agents-arrest-dairy-worker-en-route-burlington-courthouse#stream/0

And this:
https://vtdigger.org/2017/03/17/ice-detains-two-migrant-justice-activists/

skatesindreams

Trump, and those who support this policy; should have to experience these consequences.
They are increasingly being threatened
by the Trump administration with deportation to countries they may not remember or remember indistinctly, where likely they have few or no close relatives, and whose language they may not even speak

algonquin

I don't know Chang but applaud the other choices. Barton is excellent on her politics show, so glad she's moving up. Arsenault is a serious journalist, which is what we need more than ever right now. Hanomansing has that reassuring air of old time newsmen that again, I think we need right now. I also like the idea of a team - there's a lot going on out there, so a broad and balanced approach is needed.

Wonder if they will continue the At Issue panels that Mansbridge always hosted, and Rex Murphy?
Chiming in rather late, but it won't be a bad idea to drop Murphy. Arsemault is one of the best out there. I gather that she got tired of being out in the field. I wonder who they will send for the Olympic opening ceremonies? That was always Manbridge's gig.

manhn

Chiming in rather late, but it won't be a bad idea to drop Murphy. Arsemault is one of the best out there. I gather that she got tired of being out in the field. I wonder who they will send for the Olympic opening ceremonies? That was always Manbridge's gig.

I think Hanomansing will take over. He hosted those West Coast evening shows, where he interviewed athletes, families and fans.

Chang is cute. Never saw him in a news environment, but found him dull in 2014. He was paired with Patrillo, who I really liked and glad she is part of the skating team.

Winnipeg

Agree, why he was imprisoned is hard to imagine, same with the poor young man from the US who was sent home unconscious and on his death bed for playing a minor prank. Seems so cruel.

algonquin

Is this the beginning of the end of Rebel Media?

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...e-end-for-canadas-rebel-media-tim-harper.html

He lost his co-founder, Brian Lilley, an Ottawa radio host who wrote Monday that if The Rebel’s “lack of editorial and behavioural judgment” is left unchecked it will destroy the site and all those around it.

“People didn’t just cross the line there,’’ he told me, “they jumped over the line.’’

On Tuesday, Rebel freelancer Barbara Kay tweeted she too had resigned.

Conservative politicians, notably Michael Chong and even Chris Alexander of “lock her up” fame in Alberta, have vowed to shun The Rebel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information