#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

Judy

Canadians do not want an election right now. I love in Ottawa which is the capitol and where parliament is. We are still dealing with ********* and in the the next couple of weeks back to school. Trudeau and Ford both have worked well together and I am sure the premiers in different provinces have too. Well Quebec is always an odd province with their politics. But it would take a while for the Conservative party to build their voice.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
In many ways, YKW gave the conservatives an opportunity to show themselves in a new light, and IMO, did pretty darn well. Canadians generally followed the same script. The Conservatives can combat the argument that they are just the GOP by showing how they behaved differently from the GOP during this time--they can use Ford and the Albertan government as examples. Now, will I be voting for them? Hell no. But the view that they are just the same as the current US President does ring more hollow than normal.

DoFo is not the rest of the Conservatives. Jason Kenney, for example, is a lot further down a dark path than his peers. The last Conservative leadership race was a mess awash with garbage maga-lite options, and Maxime "Fine, I'll make my own insane party" Bernier came a CLOSE SECOND. This time, in what was supposed to be a cake-walk for Median-McKay, they choose a guy espousing "take canada back." :confused:

Dougie was also not very popular before the ********* due to some truly egregious policy choices in Ontario-- even after walking some back. He's an alleged former drug dealer who oversaw Ontario's first year or cannabis legalization, and LOST money on it. He's a step forward/steps back kinda guy, and sadly seems the least-bad of the bunch. That is not a good enough standard for me.

I think Canadians have gotten beyond complacent (and snide) in our position comparative to the USA, and it will continue to be our downfall. Every time we say "we're not as bad as ______", we miss that said US conservative line keeps pushing farther and farther. And so we go with it, until we accept leaders now, who would be more akin to GWB of 2000-2005, while our ex-colony mate to the south deals with a modern Nero. Not to mention the Liberal party's increasing policy evolution to the right.

We either are something, or we choose to be in the shadow of our neighbour. Being "not the USA," it's not enough to maintain a nation on.

manhn

skategal

Bunny mama
Well it's been less than a week and O'Toole hasn't been endearing himself to anyone besides his base. :shuffle:

He already has said he won't do a trade deal with China, even though most Premiers want this.

Also, he has said he will roll back any gun control measures put through by Trudeau even though polls say the majority of Canadians favor these controls, especially here in NS in the aftermath of the massacre.

My DH has already heard from some of his colleagues in the business community who would have voted for MacKay in a heartbeat that they will NEVER vote for O'Toole due to his above statements and his reluctance to admit that institutional racism exists.

O'Toole probably wont get many votes in NS like MacKay would have.

Desperado

I do not trust O'Toole or MacKay but I agree with everyone who said O'Toole is less a threat to JT.

I definitely think DoFo has learned this job wasn't what he expected, and I am happy to admit I underestimated his ability to work across the aisle and walk back unpopular decisions.
I agree about him realizing he was in over his head, but walking back decisions is how he manages everything in the province and that's costing us a lot of time and money. His lack of competency is costing us dearly.

The latest fiasco is leaving Lecce to head the Ministry of Education and not funding the return to school enough and changing his mind 3 times over the past few weeks. I do not envy parents who have to navigate through this. He's still dead set on thinking teachers are money grubbing people and that people want to cut their taxes which is, granted, how he got elected, but ********* has changed things very much and he cannot adapt.

He also has done nothing to ensure the LTC deaths will not happen again, short of keeping residents prisoners in their rooms and not allowing families/caregivers to visit for many months. Not having family there means they cannot witness neglect and the deaths related to this cruel practice will not be counted.

There is a lot of pain out there that is not highlighted by the mainstream media.

manhn

More about the @&*^! Tower shutdown in Vancouver:

The reasons: Room rates were down, and food and beverage sales had fallen by 7 percent. “The hotel is unable to procure significant banqueting and catering business,” a significant problem for a large luxury hotel, according to the parent company’s annual report.

Interesting. I was always wondering if any business and other organizations used their facilities for fundraising events, Holiday parties, etc. I was ready to boycott if so. But I never heard of anyone. So, that makes sense.

Japanfan

Interesting. I was always wondering if any business and other organizations used their facilities for fundraising events, Holiday parties, etc. I was ready to boycott if so. But I never heard of anyone. So, that makes sense.

Does that mean you previously went to the hotel?

manhn

I am not sure why you would think that based on what I wrote. But the newspapers and magazines have pieces and photos of prominent local figures attending various galas and fundraisers and parties around the City.

manhn

I would boycott the business that would think it appropriate to host their Holiday Party at that hotel.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Well it's been less than a week and O'Toole hasn't been endearing himself to anyone besides his base. :shuffle:

He already has said he won't do a trade deal with China, even though most Premiers want this.

Also, he has said he will roll back any gun control measures put through by Trudeau even though polls say the majority of Canadians favor these controls, especially here in NS in the aftermath of the massacre.

My DH has already heard from some of his colleagues in the business community who would have voted for MacKay in a heartbeat that they will NEVER vote for O'Toole due to his above statements and his reluctance to admit that institutional racism exists.

O'Toole probably wont get many votes in NS like MacKay would have.
The federal Conservatives need to stop acting like the opinions of people in Alberta (and maybe Saskatchewan? I'm less confident on Sask. I just know they're at least close to being as Tory leaning as Alberta is) are the same as the opinions of Conservatives in the other provinces. Albertan's are just loud and then like to threaten to separate when we don't get our way.

I am fully aware that WEXIT people are a minority of Alberta conservatives but I live in a hot area for separation sentiment so I'm probably a little overly bitter.

Erin

The federal Conservatives need to stop acting like the opinions of people in Alberta (and maybe Saskatchewan? I'm less confident on Sask. I just know they're at least close to being as Tory leaning as Alberta is) are the same as the opinions of Conservatives in the other provinces.

Judging by what I hear from my parents and other relatives, you can probably lump Saskatchewan in with Alberta.

The thing is, those people are probably going to vote conservative anyway. That’s not who need to be won over

Judy

More about the @&*^! Tower shutdown in Vancouver:

Canadians in Canada hate Trump I am not surprised.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Judging by what I hear from my parents and other relatives, you can probably lump Saskatchewan in with Alberta.

The thing is, those people are probably going to vote conservative anyway. That’s not who need to be won over

And I'd rather Federal conservatives be open about their bullshit/who they are. Until Harper's puppetry is finally finished, the CPC does us a service with leaders like O'Toole. Red tories have no place in the party-- why lie to 'em about it?

Don't look at Ontario PC's as a bastion of the former actually-Progressive Conservative party. Though Dougie sure is a throwback to the Mel Lastman-style of governing, the PC's have been name-only since at least Mike Harris.

Also, @Jay42 -- I need to keep being reminded that Wexit is a minority sentiment, because I certainly forget that right, wrong or otherwise. :)

DFJ

I went to a party once in one of Vancouver's swankier neighborhoods. He was also there. I just remember him being totally charming, whether you were a guest or a bartender. Treated everyone the same.

skategal

Bunny mama

It’s sad that there is such an outcry about a pretty small Indigenous lobster fishery Supported by Treaty Rights considering Clearwater has a monopoly on the lobster fishery here, takes way too much quota and has traps in the water year round illegally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information