#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I don’t think anyone will be interim.

Scheer said he will stay on until the leadership convention in April.

@Erin, I don’t think it won’t take anything to convince MacKay to run. I’m almost 100% sure he will.:sekret:

Does MacKay have widespread party support?

skategal

Bunny mama
Does MacKay have widespread party support?

In the latest poll in the media, he has support from 60% of people polled but only 32% of Conservative party members who were polled. (65% of party members who were polled wanted Harper.) :rofl:

MacKay does have a lot of regional support in Atlantic Canada and I’ve heard that there are some higher ups behind the scene working towards him becoming leader.

He’s also being touted as the leader who would give Trudeau the most grief during the next election.

So who knows??

mag

What about Caroline Mulroney?

Rumor has it they asked Mark, prior to Andrew Scheer getting the nomination. I know you all will find it strange that they would ask Mark, who is a commercial banker I believe, and not the child who is involved in politics, Caroline. Just can’t imagine why that would be?

mag

@skatingguy That article is speculating about Christy Clark! She was bad enough in BC, I can’t imagine unleashing her on the rest of Canada.

mag

She's been putting herself on every pre & post election panel she can get herself on talking about Western alienation.

That’s our Christy. Of course there is not a lot of Western alienation in B.C., but that won’t stop Christy from trying to cash in on it. I was not anti BC liberals. I just cannot stand Clark.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
Apparently Harper quit the Conservative Party Fund board to get more involved with the leadership race cause he’s terrified Jean Charest might enter 🤣🤣

skategal

Bunny mama

What are people thinking on FSU?

Can O’Toole defeat Trudeau?

Does it depend on how deep of a hole Trudeau digs for himself in the next year or so? Seems like he may be his own worst enemy at this point.

I think if MacKay had won Trudeau would be in trouble.

Not sure that O’Toole can pull it off.

Trudeau must be so relieved this morning that MacKay didn’t win. :lol:

I’m secretly happy that MacKay didn’t win so I don’t have to listen to the brouhaha here about how we should all vote for a potential PM from our own province. Because I’m not likely to vote Conservative no matter who is leader. LOL...:lol:

I do appreciate a strong opposition though. That is important and has been lacking since Trudeau was elected in 2015.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Read somewhere this morning that something like 65% or more of Canadians have no opinion on O'Toole because they don't know anything about him.

That could work in his favour, or against it, depending on how they play this. Reaching out to Singh and Blanchett and persuading them that they'd be better off under his government is key I think.

For Team Trudeau, a lot depends on what Freeland does from now until Parliament starts up again, including how much she works with Singh and Blanchett on the new budget and various aid/recovery packages.

Aaron MB Fan

I feel the same. In the worst case scenario (for me), if we had to accept a Conservative Prime Minister, I would rather have had it be MacKay as he is the most socially liberal of the candidates. However, he'd have posed a much bigger threat to Trudeau, so in some ways I am thankful as I think O'Toole will have a much harder time pulling off the win.

pat c

I don't know. I'll have to do some more reading, but at least it's someone who has actually worked at something other than being a professional politician.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
O'Toole doesn't seem like he would be the worst for LGBTQ+ issues, but Mackay wouldn't have been either. O'Toole has a short amount of time to make an impression though since we're probably going to have an election next year at least. I have no actual evidence for that, just what I remember from the years of Harper's minority governments.

I think if O'Toole can make an impression he might have a chance but I agree with @Jenny, a lot depends on what Freeland does next.

Jenny

From the Bloc
If we have an election in the coming months, then Team Trudeau would be smart to be exactly that - campaign as a team, with additional emphasis on how well the federal government has been working with (some at least) provincial and municipal governments through the ********* and NAFTA/US trade issues, regardless of party affiliation. In other words, we have enough going on without changing governments in the middle of it.

If it's too much about Trudeau himself, then the election becomes about change for the sake of change I think.

Erin

It’s interesting that’s the consensus here, but the Conservative party must feel differently?

I also know absolutely nothing about O’Toole and hadn’t heard of him (or any of the other non-MacKay candidates) until I looked up the leadership race this weekend. I guess it’s time to learn...I’m open to voting conservative, as I liked their tax policy in the last election, although there was a lot of other stuff I didn’t like. Voters like me are probably the ones they need to win over, although they don’t appear to need my help in Saskatchewan, judging by the results of the last election and my Facebook feed.

Aaron MB Fan

It’s interesting that’s the consensus here, but the Conservative party must feel differently?

I think the social Conservatives were livid at how their vote was being discounted after Scheer lost the election and MacKay's quote about Scheer's social conservatism was like a “stinking albatross around his neck" got tons of media play. So the Conservative Party Leadership race became a competition of MacKay supporters vs. everyone else (lumped together). IMO, this result shows that Conservative party members are not interested enough in change and broadening their base to be less divisive on social issues and this will continue to hold them back, especially in the GTA, which is where Trudeau won the last election.

skategal

Bunny mama
O’Toole courted the SoCon vote by appealing to be the number 2 choice for Lewis and Sloane voters.

Chances are good that O’Toole was everybody’s except McaKay supporter’s first or second choice which is how he won.

I feel like the CPC keeps electing Harper clones but Harper‘s strength was that he was so strategic and could think about the future goals and how to get there.

His successors, not so much.... :shuffle:

Andora

I'm shocked he's 47-- I really had him much closer to 60. I don't mean looks, per se, just the general overall...

I was at an election event put on by a Womens+ group in my area, where there were policy experts instead of parties represented. The woman who was speaking on finance just nailed it for me when she said, basically, that none of them balance the books. They all overspend. They can all claim they're going to be different, but they aren't. They're all going to run us into the red in our current system/society. So you might as well vote for the party who spends that money on things that are important to us.

Conservatives don't spend, but they don't tax enough either. I'm not interested in their means of bankrupting the country, all while continuing to poke that financial fear in Canadians. Like their tax breaks ever help enough of us under the millionaire line.

I feel like the CPC keeps electing Harper clones but Harper‘s strength was that he was so strategic and could think about the future goals and how to get there.

His successors, not so much.... :shuffle:

Good thing-- Harper's goals aren't much of what I want for Canada.

Harper took multiple elections to finally win a majority-- he literally wore Canada down with a major assist from the Liberal leadership being near shambles for awhile. It blows my mind that the CPC continues to double down on these types of leaders.

Erin O'Toole's slogan is "Take Canada Back." Do we really want to enshrine our own MAGA up here? He's endorsed by Jason Kenney-- I'm struggling to find much to appreciate about him past his former military career + work with Romeo Dallaire.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Erin O'Toole's slogan is "Take Canada Back." Do we really want to enshrine our own MAGA up here? He's endorsed by Jason Kenney-- I'm struggling to find much to appreciate about him past his former military career + work with Romeo Dallaire.

This. All of the leadership candidates had "save Canada" stuff on their Twitter, but O'Toole's was by far the worse. He wants to completely defund the CBC
and lock up all those "radicals"
and defend against "cancel culture"

My hope is that voters see this warmed-over Trump BS for what it is and send him packing.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I keep wanting to say Take Canada Back to what? The 60s? The 80s? The 90s? The Harper era? What is the goal here? :shuffle:

I think it's the 1950s. When there weren't any troublesome minorities, white people ran everything, and women stayed at home as G*d intended them to do.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Thanks for sharing all that @overedge - anecdotally it does seem as though people generally don't know this guy, so these key points are important.

As for "Take Canada Back" I wasn't so much wondering if it meant back in time, but rather that someone else has it and now we want it back. So who might that be? Immigrants? US influence? Or the "radical left"?

Since when does Canada have a radical left anyway? Sure, there are always extremists, but above makes it sound like this is a significant force in our politics and culture. So I guess it's anyone who doesn't agree with core conservative values?

I guess in the end it really means just taking back enough seats so that we'll have a Conservative government again, like those oh-so-happy-days under Harper.

skatingguy

Golden Team
According to the Rebel Media/True North crowd Trudeau is trying to turn Canada in a Muslim country by displacing White Christians with immigrants of colour.

Andora

Doug Ford Congratulates Erin O’Toole After Tory Leadership Win, But Won’t Campaign With Conservatives In Next Election

There he goes making me dislike him less, again. :p

“I won’t be campaigning for anyone, like I didn’t last time either,” he said, referencing last fall’s election campaign that saw Ford on the sidelines as his name was repeatedly invoked negatively by Liberals, especially in seat-rich Ontario.

“I am so swamped right here. I’m going literally around the clock every single day and I can’t take my eye off the ball for an election or anything else.”

Laura Stone, a reporter for The Globe and Mail, noted Ford’s complimentary words for federal Liberals during the *********-19 crisis, in particular Chrystia Freeland, the deputy prime minister and new minister of finance.

Ford said his government has a “phenomenal relationship” with the feds, and said he personally thinks the world of Freeland.

“We were able to get a lot accomplished just by communicating and collaborating… along with the prime minister, as well. And I just, I’ll work with anyone at the end of the day,” he said. “Like I say, I don’t care what political stripe you’re from. If you get elected, I’ll work with you.”

Asked why he wouldn’t try to help O’Toole’s Conservatives win seats in Ontario, particularly the battleground suburbs around the Greater Toronto Area that largely rejected the Tories last fall, Ford said he was “going to take the high road” and focus on his job.

If he weren't so nefarious here in Ontario, I'd be on the road to being a fan. As it is, I definitely think DoFo has learned this job wasn't what he expected, and I am happy to admit I underestimated his ability to work across the aisle and walk back unpopular decisions.

manhn

In many ways, YKW gave the conservatives an opportunity to show themselves in a new light, and IMO, did pretty darn well. Canadians generally followed the same script. The Conservatives can combat the argument that they are just the GOP by showing how they behaved differently from the GOP during this time--they can use Ford and the Albertan government as examples. Now, will I be voting for them? Hell no. But the view that they are just the same as the current US President does ring more hollow than normal.

Japanfan

But the view that they are just the same as the current US President does ring more hollow than normal.

Even past Republican Presidents look good in comparison to Trump. When I see Bush Jr. on TV these days, I'm inclined to think 'what a dear, sweet man'. This comes automatically and from one who does not support Republicans and hated Bush Jr. (and Sr.).

Trump sets a very low bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information