#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
It would be interesting to know the poll's source, of course, but maybe - just maybe - our peoples aren't as differently "enlightened" on certain subjects as some might think or want to believe.

algonquin

Andrew Sheer stated that if he were PM that he would keep fighting this in court. Do you think that the same 71% would be as upset with taxpayer's money being used for a court case that the government would never win?

ETA - This is the kind of comments that are being posted on news sites. This one is from the Globe and Mail comment section. Sad eh?

These scum should be dragged into the street and shot. Then the rest of their co-religionists put on leaky boats headed to the Islamic hell holes their people created, and that they belong in. It's time to take our countries back.

Last edited:

WildRose

I get that he was a child soldier, and agree that we should not have left him in Guantanamo. But, while I'm sure the usual idiots are out there posting in the comment sections of the newspapers (for and against), I don't think it is fair to call everyone who questions this decision a racist bigot. A lot of people consider the 10 million dollar settlement to be a grave insult to the many Canadian soldiers who were killed in Afghanistan, to the families they left behind, and to our soldiers that continue to serve us in dangerous places all over the world. Some have come to the conclusion that the Charter was never meant to be used this way. That doesn't make them racist bigots - this is a difficult issue and deserves to be discussed without name calling on both sides.

algonquin

I never said that everyone that opposes the decision is a racist bigot. I just said that there are a lot of racist comments. Also, I have yet to read a viable solution from anyone the opposes the settlement. Fighting it out in the courts would not have worked.

Last edited:

algonquin

No worries. I should stop reading comment sections. Everyone has a right to their opinions, but it bothers me when people that are commenting are so woefully uninformed.

algonquin

Below is an example of a woefully informed comment.

A judicial decision huh. Again, Khadr supporters have it wrong. The case is still pending but Trudeau took it upon himself to settle it. There was no judicial decision. Trudeau went behind the backs of his own cabinet which is why a lot of them are also pissed at him. Get your facts straight.
:rolleyes: is all I can say.

I must stop reading the comment section. I must stop reading the comment sections.

pat c

Some have come to the conclusion that the Charter was never meant to be used this way. That doesn't make them racist bigots - this is a difficult issue and deserves to be discussed without name calling on both sides.

Perhaps........the charter I always thought was absolute. But this is a difficult case. The one thing that sticks in my mind is why was he not brought back to Canada to stand trial.

No worries. I should stop reading comment sections. Everyone has a right to their opinions, but it bothers me when people that are commenting are so woefully uninformed.

Yes. I have unfollowed quite a few people that just let fly w/o checking why the payment was made etc etc.

I don't like that we're paying $10M either. But, I have no other solutions.

skategal

Bunny mama
I think part of the difficulty people are having with it is that we have never seen a payout to someone involved with an act of terror/crime.

We are more used to seeing payouts to people wrongfully convicted.

But people forget that even criminals have rights. (Yes, I know his involvement in the act is debatable. Just saying that even the 100% guilty have rights so of course he does too.)

WildRose

Perhaps........the charter I always thought was absolute. But this is a difficult case. The one thing that sticks in my mind is why was he not brought back to Canada to stand trial.

Yes. I have unfollowed quite a few people that just let fly w/o checking why the payment was made etc etc.

I don't like that we're paying $10M either. But, I have no other solutions.

Yeah, it's the 10 million that bothers me too. And, I'm no legal expert, but I have to wonder if it doesn't set some sort of precedent that might come back to haunt us. I am also concerned about the effect this has on the morale of our military families.

algonquin

Yeah, it's the 10 million that bothers me too. And, I'm no legal expert, but I have to wonder if it doesn't set some sort of precedent that might come back to haunt us. I am also concerned about the effect this has on the morale of our military families.
The precedent was set by the settlement to Arar 10 or so years ago. He received 10.5 million and an apology. That might be why the government lawyers settled with that amount for Khadr. I find the amount unsettling as well, but I am not sure what else could have been done.

Jenny

From the Bloc
There was rumour that it would be a First Nations person, which would have added quite an interesting chapter in the history of Canada, but at the same time might have seemed like throwing a bone when there are so many more serious issues to address.

This choice makes more sense perhaps - astronaut = innovation, exploration, technology, science, future.

skategal

Bunny mama
I think appointing a First Nation person would have caused political division within the First Nation community considering the history and negative consequences of colonization on First Nations peoples.

It would not surprise me if they were advised by AFN not to appoint a First Nations person.

Jenny

From the Bloc
This lays out why the Khadr settlement happened pretty clearly I think.

Comments so far seem to mostly support, and/or argue who's to blame. That's Globe and Mail readers though, who may not skew with the 71% of Canadians who apparently didn't approve (likely based on a pretty simple survey question rather than a full understanding of the case and its history).

manhn

I think when asked a question like that, it's hard to "approve". So, just because one may "disapprove", it doesn't necessarily mean they think the govt was wrong in its actions to settle.

It's like when a skater doubles a jump in an otherwise clean program, you don't "approve" of the double, but you're not upset about it either.

algonquin

"I share those concerns about the money. In fact that's why we settled," Mr. Trudeau told reporters at a news conference announcing the appointment of Julie Payette as the country's next Governor-General. "If we had continued to fight this, not only would we have inevitably lost, but estimates range from $30 to $40-million dollars that it would have ended up costing the government."
$30 to 40 million. Wow. Legally, it was a dead horse. The government was not going to win.

Not surprised that the below case was dismissed. I will be interested to see if an Ontario judge upholds the Utah ruling.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...idows-motion-to-freeze-omar-khadrs-money.html

WildRose

This lays out why the Khadr settlement happened pretty clearly I think.

Comments so far seem to mostly support, and/or argue who's to blame. That's Globe and Mail readers though, who may not skew with the 71% of Canadians who apparently didn't approve (likely based on a pretty simple survey question rather than a full understanding of the case and its history).

You really can't go by the comments at the end of an online news article - the Globe's readership tends to be Liberal and the comments reflect that. I expect Liberal MPs have been hearing from their Constituents - that's why we got the explanation.

algonquin

Has anyone watched The National since Mansbridge retired? Do they have replacements or are they waiting until the fall? I have been going to bed early.

algonquin

Linking an opinion piece from the CBC's Neil Macdonald. Whether you agree with the Khadr settlement or not, Macdonald does have a point.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/canadian-mps-on-khadr-1.4218915

I also know this: the last thing we need is our politicians down in the U.S., whipping up even more ignorance and bile toward Canada among American conservatives.

Don't forget, a lot of them still blame Canada for allowing the Sept. 11 attackers into America, which is entirely false, but which lives on in the American mind to this day, despite years of patient fact-checking by Canadian diplomats in Washington.

The conservative American public, guided by a churlish, isolationist president, is looking for whipping boys and imagined foreign enemies at the moment.

They don't need encouraging by politicians who claim to speak for Canadians. Conservatives might try to keep in mind that it's supposed to be the Loyal Opposition.

pat c

If you read the comments in the above cbc link, it has become quite ugly. Wow.

skategal

Bunny mama
I don't read comments sections anymore after discovering that alot of commenters are paid professionals hired to comment on social media for certain political/social ideologies.

I assume the CBC comment section is no different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information