#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Unfortunate for PEI.

I suppose a Green-Liberal coalition is out of the question.

:watch:
The left/centre-left have got to stop putting off the inevitable. I'm not suggesting two parties is the most ideal way, but it's the only way to fight back against a united conservative party.

If centre-right voters are going to suck it up and vote with the party taken over by farther-right leadership, then centre-left voters can get in line while we make NDP & Green Party initiatives work.

skategal

Bunny mama
Liberals weren't going to win again in PEI. They were in for 12 years.

That is usually how provincial politics works down here.

We vote for one party until we get sick of them. Then we vote for the other fellars.... :lol:

UMBS Go Blue

Personally congratulating Beefy Bruno
Randomness:

I noticed that Scott Moir is originally from Ilderton, Ontario which falls within the Lambton-Kent-Middlesex federal riding. The incumbent Conservative MP in that riding is retiring.

Can't Justin Trudeau draft Scott or Tessa as the Liberal candidate for that riding, seeing as they should have hit it off before/during the Olympics when he named them the Canadian flag bearers? :saint:

Japanfan

Posted this in the Trump thread as well.

Justin Trudeau has always been flamboyant with his choice of socks, but he outdid himself when meeting with Trump at the G7.

Criticize Justin Trudeau every which way you like for his various failings and errors, but you cannot deny that Trudeau is the only politician alive today who can tell Trump to go **** himself with a pair of socks. Perhaps the only politician ever to have used socks to deliver a political message. :cheer2: :love: 🍾

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1165727336039440389?s=21

Lara

It's JJ style!
Ugh. I’ve seriously never been less enthused for an election.
(Will vote of course, but I’m in one of the safest liberal ridings in the country anyway...)

skategal

Bunny mama
Ugh. I’ve seriously never been less enthused for an election.
(Will vote of course, but I’m in one of the safest liberal ridings in the country anyway...)
Same! I could have written that word for word.

I wonder is it possible to avoid all election campaigning and coverage until it is over???

Jenny

From the Bloc
I'm with all of you, and I wonder how widespread the sentiment is. I've noted how quiet this thread is, like none of us really want to go through this yet again, maybe we're all just holding our collective breath?

Buzz

I will be voting. And yes for the Liberals. I do not like what the PCs have done to Ontario. They have taken a sledgehammer to the budget. It is scary. They gave no clue when they were campaigning that this is what they were going to do.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I fear there will be a very low voter turnout.
Which would be a bad thing, but I can see it happening due to general malaise on all of it, for which I blame CNN et al ;)

Currently an amalgamation of polls by the CBC is saying it's a very close call for votes, but not for actual seats. But then again, polls have repeatedly been wrong in Canada and other jurisdictions over the years, so I will absolutely be voting. Even if one thinks their riding is a sure thing, it might not be, and it's also important to let our leaders know that we have opinions and we care and they need to remember their job is to govern on our behalf.

manhn

Of course I’ll vote, and I don’t need weeks of campaigning to figure it out. It’ll be liberals. The NDP are a mess.

pat c

I don't know. There is a new style of politician it seems, and they (the political machine) doesn't quite get it that people aren't happy with all the negativity, the different standards that politicians seem to think they are entitled to, and the deceitfulness and the anger. I think the pollster's don't have a clue either. I guess we'll find out.

I’ll definitely be voting. Just not sure who I’ll vote for yet. I really hope the liberal party actually has a decent candidate in our riding. I like our current conservative MP as a person but I can’t ignore Andrew Scheer or all that is problematic with the views of the Conservative party.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Of course I’ll vote, and I don’t need weeks of campaigning to figure it out. It’ll be liberals. The NDP are a mess.
I was quite shocked to read not long ago that the NDP are short some 60+ candidates. We've known this election is coming for a year, maybe longer, so WTF?

MLIS

I'll be voting, I believe it is our most fundamental responsibility as citizens. But my kingdom for a candidate I can actually vote for, instead of strategic voting for the candidate who either will do the least amount of damage or has the best chance of keeping the most dangerous one out. I don't need weeks of campaigning, either, I'd vote tomorrow if they'd let me and get it over with. I don't like any of my choices, but will be voting strategically this time, even though I may have to plug my nose to do it.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Has there ever been an election where so called strategic voting actually worked? Where the results could be directly attributed to people voting strategically rather than for the candidate or party they really wanted to?

pat c

Not where I am, but I still vote ;). It might be a factor in close ridings, but has there been any actual research to actually say strategic voting works?

It would have been a plus for JT if he would have really considered changing first past the post. But c'est la guerre.

Andora

I was quite shocked to read not long ago that the NDP are short some 60+ candidates. We've known this election is coming for a year, maybe longer, so WTF?
Yeah, it's surprising but tracks with how disappointing they've been of late. I expected better under Mr. Singh, but maybe things can still turn around.

Has there ever been an election where so called strategic voting actually worked? Where the results could be directly attributed to people voting strategically rather than for the candidate or party they really wanted to?
I would have guessed the last few elections that swung liberal were due to strategic voting. It was constant from any progressive I knew - "I'd vote Green/NDP, but Liberals are the only one who can win." In these threads, even. Liberals expect progressive voters to get in line, but they don't do the same for the NDP as we saw in Ontario this last election.

What I'm hopeful for is actual change to come out of the election, such as the PPC at least formally split votes from the Conservatives, and push them back to being ACTUAL PC's again. Otherwise, change on the left has to happen-- splitting the progressive vote so much is madness, and yet none of the parties actually make a strong number of Canadians happy-- not even the NDP anymore. At least there's more traction on showing the Green Party for who they are:

Desperado

I will be voting. And yes for the Liberals. I do not like what the PCs have done to Ontario. They have taken a sledgehammer to the budget. It is scary. They gave no clue when they were campaigning that this is what they were going to do.
Everyone in the GTA knew what was going to happen and so did everyone in Ontario who's ever heard of the Ford brothers. Doug Ford is a petty, vindictive rat who keeps his followers in line by distributing favours, that was known from the get go. The NDP and Liberal voters feared him getting elected, but the conservative voters thought the establishment would keep him in line and the "fat" that was going to get cut wouldn't be hurting them.

I will be voting too. Catherine McKenna is my MP and I'd like to think I'm voting for her in solidarity in view of all the abuse and harassment she's been put through by misogynists and haters everywhere. I don't have to think about it too much though, because Singh was a terrible choice as NDP leader (doesn't put in enough time to understand files, cannot manage his troupes and did nothing, since he's been in charge, to win the vote from Trudeau whom I personally can't stand.) I will also never vote for the current antiquated Conservative party, also led by a lightweight. I still very much miss the Progressive Conservative party of Kim Campbell and Hugh Segal, but that may just be seeing the past in rose coloured glasses.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Everyone in the GTA knew what was going to happen and so did everyone in Ontario who's ever heard of the Ford brothers. Doug Ford is a petty, vindictive rat who keeps his followers in line by distributing favours, that was known from the get go. The NDP and Liberal voters feared him getting elected, but the conservative voters thought the establishment would keep him in line and the "fat" that was going to get cut wouldn't be hurting them.
Especially since that's exactly what people hoped when Trump was elected, and yet here we are.

Honestly I think sometimes it's just that little shot of power one feels in the voting booth, like no one's looking and I can do whatever I want and I'm going to vote against the current government because I can (or to leave the EU, or just to say no to whatever is being suggested, or whatever). Political machines know this and play into it, turning it into empowering messaging like "vote for change" and "we can do this without anyone's help" etc etc.

I've heard several people say that they will not forgive Trudeau for shelving electoral reform, but honestly in the current global climate, I don't blame him. Putting power into the hands of angry people has not gone well in recent years, so until the tides turn, I think any government needs to think long and hard before gambling on the public to make informed and thoughtful decisions.

Desperado

I’m always curious as to who are the people angry about electoral reform being abandoned. How many of them can explain the first past the post system and the proportional representation system and why the latter is better than the former for Canada and would they be opened to it provincially too.

I listened to many political podcasts today and in one of them the journalist interviewed said that the candidates from all the main parties tell him that when they canvas, 1 out of 2 people they meet isn’t aware an election is coming up. If they don’t know about the mandated election date, what would they know about electoral reform?

pat c

I’m always curious as to who are the people angry about electoral reform being abandoned. How many of them can explain the first past the post system and the proportional representation system and why the latter is better than the former for Canada and would they be opened to it provincially too.
The people that I know that are a bit choked, know a lot about it. It's always nice for political parties to have safe seats. Not so much fun if you haven't ever seen a change in political mp's since the St. Laurent days, and that was the last time my riding hasn't gone con. It's been a long time. Proportional representation would at least make you feel like you're kind of getting your vote. ;)

Andora

I still very much miss the Progressive Conservative party of Kim Campbell and Hugh Segal, but that may just be seeing the past in rose coloured glasses.
Interesting you mention Ms. Campbell. Her Twitter account is worth a look/follow. I got in line when she started posting her support for Elizabeth Warren.

Interesting how time changes people.

Desperado

Interesting you mention Ms. Campbell. Her Twitter account is worth a look/follow. I got in line when she started posting her support for Elizabeth Warren.

Interesting how time changes people.
Yes, I've been following her account since at least the last election. I have to mute her sometimes though because she's quite a tweet machine. :D I also attended a town hall type event where she was the guest speaker. She talked about how women never get a second chance which is why she new her political career was over after the 1993 loss. I was there with many younger colleagues and joked that I was the only one there who had had the opportunity to vote for her. I hope I don't die before getting another chance to vote for a woman PM (sigh).

What do you mean by time changing people @Andora ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 4)