#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

Winnipeg

I find it hard to award Khadr money for murdering someone, an innocent medic.

I do however agree that the government of the time handled it poorly. He should have been brought home and faced trial here.

I read that the murder victim's widow is suing for Khadr's ten mil to go to her.

algonquin

He wasn't awarded money for killing someone. The Supreme Court found the federal government failed to defend his rights. As I quoted above every Canadian is entitled to due process and that was not given to him. That is why he received a settlement.

cygnus

The thing is, Khadr didn't exactly go out and murder someone- the situation was murky. He was in a firefight where US troops were firing on them- everyone else was killed, and he was the only survivor and he had been shot 3 times. Then he threw a grenade which may or may not have been the one which killed the American soldier. It sounds like war to me. Did the Americans "murder" the other Afghans? A case could be made that Khadr was acting in self defense. However odious his family was- he was a child soldier, and that combined with the circumstances and 10 years in prison without trial during which the government let him rot and did nothing make this deal seem fair to me.

Winnipeg

I agree that government did not handle this correctly. As a result, the situation is as it is. He should have been brought home and had a trial here.

Winnipeg

I think maybe the point people are making is regretting how it was handled in the past that led to this point. Now that we are at this point, this is recommended as best solution but it never should have got to this point in the first place. Who knows what would have ensued if he had been brought home for trial. We will never know.

He may or may not be a terrorist.

As it stands, he gets compensated for the mistake of government at that time.

algonquin

From all accounts, he is supposed to be a very lovely man. His lawyer said that Khard is not bitter. He wants to study nursing.

algonquin

Our Supreme Court has been in the news with the Khadr case. I have a question about the SCC that I can't find the answer to. Why do they wear those silly red, Santa Clause robes? I googled to find the history, but wasn't able to find anything. Not only are they rather silly looking, but apparently they are very hot.

ETA - I just googled the British Supreme Court and their robes are quite nice.

Last edited:

MLIS

Tradiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttiiiiiiooooon, tradition, tradition! Without our traditions, our lives would be as shaky as a fiddler on the roof! :)

They are based on the ceremonial robes worn in English courts. Apparently they wear the robes for ceremonial duties, portraits, etc., but wear regular black robes when actually hearing cases.

pat c

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_dress#Canada

In Canada, court dress is identical to that previously (pre-2008) in use in England, except that wigs are not worn. Bar jackets are worn under the gown, though QCs and judges have more elaborate cuffs than other lawyers. Barristers are required to gown for the Courts of Appeal and Superior-level courts of the provinces and territories, unless appearing on applications in chambers, in Small Claims Court or before Masters.

The Federal Court and the Tax Court of Canada at the general procedure level require barristers to gown. As well, gowns are required at the Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. The donning of business attire is acceptable by barristers appearing in chambers and in inferior (puisne) provincial and territorial courts; court dress is also permitted, though rarely worn. Judges of the Supreme Court of Canada wear red robes with white fur trim on ceremonial occasions together with tricorne hats; however, they wear black gowns when hearing cases. Judges of all other federal and provincial courts wear black gowns, sometimes adorned with various sashes and crests which depend on the level of court and the province in which the case is heard. All Canadian judges also wear black court waistcoats with white collar and tabs.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Is that real fur or faux fur on the robes? I hope for faux fur, but I love Canada all the same! I just wish you had a longer summer for my vacations.

algonquin

@Artistic Skaters - don't know about the fur, but depending on the area of Canada, there is summer weather from May to September. Although, this year May & June were pretty yucky where I live.

skategal

Bunny mama
The summers are the same length as anywhere else. Just perhaps not as warm. Lol...

Fall on the east coast is beautiful. The best season down east.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Just perhaps not as warm.
That's what I meant. It's like going to Maine. Starts getting chilly for camping once Sept hits & you can't go too early in the season like you can to some other places (VA, NC, TN). A lot of people don't mind cold weather camping, but I'm not one of them.

Even so, Canada is a splendid & beautiful vacationland for us so congratulations on 150 great years (Sesquicentennial)! :)

algonquin

Thank you!

Interesting opinion piece written by a former prosecutor on Omar Khadr

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/07/07/opinion/what-if-omar-khadr-isnt-guilty

Khadr's guilty plea bought his freedom, but at a heavy price. For that freedom Khadr traded, perhaps forever, the chance to clear his name and turn public scrutiny on those who abused him, who doctored records, who changed their stories.

As part of his plea deal, Khadr agreed to a statement of facts admitting to killing Sgt. Speer, and promised never to seek forensic review of the evidence which might one day prove his innocence. He also agreed to permit the U.S. government to destroy all evidence following sentencing.

Destroy evidence?!?

Winnipeg

Majority of Canadians (strongly) disagree with this decision to award him the money. A good article was written and is available online at CBC.

algonquin

Read through the comment section of any article about the settlement, you will find that the vast majority of people do not understand the case or sadly our legal and political systems. One person called for Trudeau to be impeached. :rolleyes: The Toronto Sun is calling for Trudeau to be tried for treason. :rolleyes: Those that understand that it is a Supreme Court ruling, state that the court did not order a financial settle. Then there are all the racists calling for Khadr to be shot and killed. It is frightening.

Among other things, Canadians need to understand that a Prime Minister cannot overrule the Supreme Court. This case would have cost the tax payers a lot more money if it had not been settled. The government would not have won any court challenges.

I am not happy with the settlement either, but for different reasons. This whole mess would have avoided if the government had respected Khard's Chatter rights and brought him to Canada to be tried. The fact that both the Liberals and Conservatives left him in that hell hole is abhorrent. Both political parties shoulder blame for this. All other Western nations took their prisoners out of Guantanamo Bay.

Trudeau did the right thing and settled this mess, but he will pay a heavy political price.

I could go on, but will link this instead

https://thewalrus.ca/omar-khadr-and-the-shame-of-the-canadian-press/

algonquin

From the Walrus article,

Omar Khadr spent much of his youth being abused in an unlawful penal colony. He could have come out of this harrowing experience a bitter and spiteful man, hateful of the country who supported his torturers, and vindictive towards the citizens who applauded that decision. Instead, Khadr has conducted himself with the utmost dignity. “My past,” he recently said, “I’m not excusing it. I’m not denying it. We all do things we wish we could change. All I can do right now is focus on the present and do my best to become a productive member of society, a good person, a good human being . . . I want to finish my nursing program. I want to work as a nurse somewhere it’s needed. I want to be able to use my languages and my ability as a nurse to relieve people from pain.”

After everything that’s happened to him, Khadr is prepared to accept the ills of his past. Perhaps Canada might do the same for its own recent history.

DFJ

Canada did the right thing by Khadr. He's a Canadian citizen that was stuck in that hell-hole of Guantanamo for, what, 10 years? Disgusting. This settlement doesn't bother me at all.

algonquin

I want to add that I wish that critics of the SCoC decision would realize that this is a victory for all Canadians. By saying that our government should not have violated Khadr's Chatter rights, they are also saying that government cannot voilate any Canadian's Chatter rights.

DFJ

Just saw a poll coming up in the elevator saying that 71% of Canadians polled disapprove of the settlement. Let them have all of their rights stripped away, stick them in a prison for 10 years, tortured, and then ask them again.

algonquin

@DFJ A lot of that 71% believe that he did not and does not have any rights because he is a "terrorist". The ignorance and bigotry is dumbfounding.

DFJ

@DFJ A lot of that 71% believe that he did not and does not have any rights because he is a "terrorist". The ignorance and bigotry is dumbfounding.

I thought my Canadian peeps were a bit more sophisticated...very disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information