BREXIT - The Final Countdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyedwards

They need Labour to win an election and set up a scotland central bank first. So you need Labour to win an election with the platform of independent Scotland for there to be an independent Scotland! Unless they just throw all caution to the wind!!!!!!!!

Louis

Private citizen
Sturgeon's handling of the p*ndemic, as compared to Johnson's, is having a big impact.

Meanwhile, the Brexit brinksmanship continues.....

ETA: I feel like the UK is in a big of a quagmire re: Northern Ireland. If they make an open border with the EU work for Northern Ireland, there will be little to stop Scotland then signing up to that same deal. A hard border with England is a key reason many would vote against independence. If that goes away.... In short, "saving" Northern Ireland might mean losing Scotland.

Last edited:

antmanb

One of the key arguments against Scottish independence when the last referendum was held was that Scotland would have an issue with regard to EU membership. Therefore many voters opted to vote against independence so that they could stay in the EU.
Exactly that. Johnson is full of hot air as usual claiming that a vote Scottish independence is a "once in a generation" type situation. And the counter to that is precisely the fact that what swung the vote in favour of remaining in the Union was that Scotland would have to apply to be a member of the EU in its own right. Johnson and his ilk effed that up for the whole UK so there is no question at all that Scotland should be entitled to vote to leave and all the Brexiteers should be rejoicing at their ability to do so IMO, not finding weak excuses to deny it.

caseyedwards

Exactly that. Johnson is full of hot air as usual claiming that a vote Scottish independence is a "once in a generation" type situation. And the counter to that is precisely the fact that what swung the vote in favour of remaining in the Union was that Scotland would have to apply to be a member of the EU in its own right. Johnson and his ilk effed that up for the whole UK so there is no question at all that Scotland should be entitled to vote to leave and all the Brexiteers should be rejoicing at their ability to do so IMO, not finding weak excuses to deny it.
I remember the banks far more of an issue than EU! It was the reason why scotland stayed! Because the banking system was set up to separate from UK and business with their loans and other things from UK banks and currency and all that financial stuff was the main reason. Voting against independence was all about how to divorce from UK without really being independent financially and with currency not a vote to stay in EU. EU does not provide solutions to divorce from UK

D

Deleted member 40371

I agree with what @antmanb wrote, Tory party will never allow another referendum, and Labour does not want another referendum since their chances of ever regaining power in Westminister is through Scotland. Also, it was the last referendum that completely destroyed the Labour party in Scotland.

For this reason, I think a Welsh Independence vote looks more likely to pass Westminster than a Scottish independence vote. Not that it will get a majority, to the opposite is the reason they could allow such a vote. When such a vote fails, they can, like the Scottish vote claim it was a once in a lifetime vote.

Add to all the 'Republic of Wales' is trending now on Twitter after a gaffe by a weather reporter on Sky News.

Last edited by a moderator:

Louis

Private citizen
If only there was a way for all this to be avoided..... 🤔

I've noticed recently that some of the Schengen country e-gates allow select third-country nationals to use the e-gates, BUT they have to see an immigration officer afterwards for a stamp. This might be a compromise for UK nationals. They definitely need a stamp, though, as they'll only be able to stay 90 days out of every 180, same as everyone else.

A few countries, including Japan and Israel, use e-gates for exit checks. I'm surprised that the EU would allow this, though, as there would be no stamp, and thus no way to calculate whether a UK national has overstayed. I have seen Schengen immigration officials flip through passports and calculate number of days on several occasions.

antmanb

Finally the UK’s de facto prime minister is gone :cheer2:

I spoke to a friend yesterday who has a :sekret: that works as part of Johnson’s security that says he’s still really ill from the crud and he has long crud but they don’t want to make it public.

hanca

Values her privacy

I spoke to a friend yesterday who has a :sekret: that works as part of Johnson’s security that says he’s still really ill from the crud and he has long crud but they don’t want to make it public.
I am a bit sceptical about this. He may still have some long term health problems, but when you write that someone is still really ill, I would imagine that person to be bed bound on a ventilator, which he clearly isn’t. His health problems don’t seem to be such that he would not be able to live ‘normal’ life.

taz'smum

as @Jesche says - мама knows best

Who has the long term crud, Johnson or Cummings?

mella

I've seen some speculation about the long ********* thing in the press. Around the time that someone with close access to DC was suggesting that BJ would resign in the new year. This was whispered as the reason. Similarly around that time BJ was photographed out training with a PT.

DC blogged in January that he hoped to make himself "largely redundant" by the end of the year, so i suspect he has achieved whatever it was he intended to during his tenure.

Vagabond

What’s that German word for revelling in the misery of others? :rofl:
Schadenfreude.

But let's have some compassion for another group that will be harmed by Brexit:

Last edited:

antmanb

What’s that German word for revelling in the misery of others? :rofl:
I hope that fcuking stupid couple that made the news for returning to the UK from their home in Spain to vote for Brexit are affected by this.

Unrelated to this, but in light of the fact we seem to be careening towards a no deal exit, passporting for banks won't be approved unless there is a deal so anyone with an EU address and an English bank account will have their English bank accounts closed as they will no longer be allowed to provide banking services to people resident outside of the UK.

My company has had to work out what to do with 10-15 pensioners who have their pension paid into a UK bank account but who live in continental Europe.

Louis

Private citizen
A bit of good news, the UK and EU have reached an agreement - that will stand even in the event of no-deal -- re: the Irish Border.

The UK and EU have reached agreement on how rules in the Brexit divorce deal relating to Northern Ireland's borders will work in practice.

The two sides have reached an "agreement in principle" on issues including border control posts and the supply of medicines.
The government says it will now withdraw controversial sections in its Internal Market Bill.
The bill had threatened to jeopardise ongoing post-Brexit trade talks.
The details of the agreement have not yet been published, but are expected to be rubber stamped before the end of the month.
They will apply regardless of whether the two sides agree a deal to govern their trading relationship after the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December.

kwanfan1818

I <3 Kozuka
I work for a freight forwarder/logistics company, and the cross-border paperwork -- coding, ID numbers, valuations, proving origins -- is just about to become a lot more complex and expensive.

taz'smum

as @Jesche says - мама knows best
I work for a freight forwarder/logistics company, and the cross-border paperwork -- coding, ID numbers, valuations, proving origins -- is just about to become a lot more complex and expensive.

So sorry to hear this! 😡

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
I got an email from Amazon UK saying essentially saying some things may change on 1 January but they don’t know exactly what..... 🤷‍♂️

antmanb

We have the most ridiculous situation where we need to have an EORI number to import goods into the EU. We have an EORI number because we are currently in the EU. That number will no longer be valid on 1st January. We have a branch office set up in France now to help things along, but a company cannot have two EORI numbers so we can only apply for a new EORI number once the old one is no longer valid. We've known this for a year and talked to trade bodies, government departments and nothing has been done to try and sort this out in advance so who knows how long it will take to get a new number.

And the adverts on TV "prepare for 1st January" go to government website for advice make me so angry. There is literally no advice because the government don't have a clue. And again this is just one small part of our business affected and there are about 10 other things like this :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information