BREXIT - The Final Countdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story

antmanb

Who is the likely replacement if he is sacked?

I don't think the conservatives would give a vote of no confidence and move to push out the person they have literally just appointed as their leader.

If he stepped down (which he would never do) I think it would be a given that Jeremy Hunt would likely be the next in line given his success in the leadership battle after Johnson.

The only way Johnson is going anywhere is if there is a general election and the conservatives lose...and even then given he's only been the leader for a week I doubt they'd call for a leadership race again so soon, they'd likely let him continue as the leader of the party to give him time to make his mark.

Given the tenuous position the Tories are in they might need to call a general election sooner rather than later hoping that Johnson gives them the boost required to gain a proper majority. But that is a pretty big gamble.

caseyedwards

The Brexit Party is making conservatives lose and it’s devastating for them. Liberal democrat did not just beat a conservative they beat a conservative because brexit party was running a person who was no deal brexit.

taz'smum

The Brexit Party is making conservatives lose and it’s devastating for them. Liberal democrat did not just beat a conservative they beat a conservative because brexit party was running a person who was no deal brexit.

Just go do one, you talk a load of nonsense, as I've said before a little knowledge is dangerous, and someone whose name begins with c and ends in s proves my point!

Vagabond

Secret report reveals government fear of schools chaos after no-deal Brexit
Schools may have to close, exams could be disrupted and fresh food for pupils’ meals could run short because of panic buying with prices soaring by up to 20%, according to a secret Department for Education analysis of the risks of a no-deal Brexit obtained by the Observer.

The five-page document – marked “Official Sensitive” and with the instruction “Do Not Circulate” – also raises the possibility of teacher absences caused by travel disruption, citing schools in Kent as particularly at risk.

On the dangers of food shortages to schools, it suggests that informing the public of the risks could make matters even worse.
So much for that strategy. :shuffle:

The cat is out of the bag now.

:cat:

taz'smum

Vagabond

We can live in hope.... though as always, be careful what you wish for, as Johnson is even worse than Theresa May
By the same token, Johnson has wished to be Prime Minister for a very long time, and he may be regretting his career path.

:violin:

taz'smum

By the same token, Johnson has wished to be Prime Minister for a very long time, and he may be regretting his career path.

:violin:
Exactly, his bumbling idiot reputation will be untarnished by his lack of achievements (and worse events 😱) as PM.
The only satisfaction there, will be knowing he has got his just desserts.

antmanb

I want to see Boris out before he's really had any time in because I want his ego to take that battering and maybe then he can finally leave politics.

Did anyone else watch the programme Years & Years? It was very hard to watch given how little needs to actually change to lead us down that path...

caseyedwards

Meanwhile...
Awful! The UK should be respected and if it needs a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland that’s the right of Uk

taz'smum

Other than caseyedwards is there a description of numptydose

Numpty
Scottish usage:
a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.
b) A good humoured admonition, a term of endearment
c) A reckless, absent minded or unwise person
a) "No. That wisnae wit she meant, ya big numpty!"
b) i.e. "Silly billy", "You big dafty"
c) "That numpty's driving with no lights on!"

I think @allezfred is most likely referring to @caseyedwards as being a dose of version a) above

Louis

Private citizen
I think this new government is the most incompetent and cruel in a western democracy. They're making Trump look smart and reasonable.

The Sunday Times (behind a paywall) leaked the government's Operation Yellowhammer dossier. Some highlights here:
and full article here:

Excerpts :scream::
The UK will face a three-month meltdown at its ports, a hard Irish border and shortages of food and medicine if it leaves the EU without a deal, according to government documents on Operation Yellowhammer.

The documents predict severe extended delays to medicine supplies and shortages of some fresh foods combined with price rises as a likely scenario if the UK leaves without a withdrawal agreement, which is due to happen on 31 October.

They suggest there has been a worsening of the risk since documents leaked to the Guardian showed some of the government’s “reasonable worst-case scenarios” (RWCS) involved risk to medicine supplies and disruption to food chains.

Northern Ireland is a pawn in this game, and it seems that the UK has accepted there will be a hard border:
The government also believes the return of a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland would be likely as current plans to avoid widespread checks would prove unsustainable.

Outrageous.

Separately, Priti Patel is saying she's going to end free movement on the 31st of October, against all previous government guidance to businesses and especially EU nationals. And of course through secondary legislation, to slide this in against the democratic will of parliament. This is going to put EU nationals - and surely Brits abroad - into legal limbo. Fortunately, there is no way in hell the government can pull this off. There are not enough border agents to process the volume without hours-long delays that would shut down airports; plus there is no alternative immigration system in place to handle necessary EU migration; plus I have to imagine there would be legal challenges....

Ms Patel is said to believe that the immigration shake-up can be brought in through secondary legislation, a move that would allow her to effectively sideline MPs who might try to torpedo the Immigration and Social Security Co-Ordination Bill.
[..]

The [Liberal Democratic] party's home affairs spokesperson Sir Ed Davey said: "It is completely detached from reality and is next chapter in the never-ending saga of the utter mess they are making of Brexit.

"What would this mean for EU citizens who have made their home in the UK who have" travelled abroad when they try to return?"

The Lib Dem MP added: Are the government seriously suggesting an NHS nurse who is an EU national may not be allowed to return to the country if they happen to have been on holiday? It is absurd."

Nicolas Hatton of the3million campaign group for EU citizens living in Britain meanwhile told The Independent: "There are no systems in place and nothing is ready. This is a political gesture, but it will have a real impact on people’s lives.

"This will open the door to discrimination. How will they distinguish between the ‘legacy people’, those already here, and those who will arrive afterwards?"

This all has an uncomfortable ring to it....

GET THESE PEOPLE OUT OF OFFICE NOW. I hope to all that is holy that there are enough rebel conservatives to bring down this government, stand up for what's right, and move the Tory back from this extremist rhetoric.

This is truly scary stuff. :(

D

Deleted member 40371

The current UK government seems to have a similar terrifying style as that of the current Indian government, short term political gain while destroying the essential fabric of democracy. I am really scared for the future of both the countries.
Also, the UK seems to have some resistance from the public, but India the government has a cakewalk pushing legislation through.

Lorac

I agree with everything you say @Louis and it is truly terrifying that we are in this awful predicament. When I saw the choices Boris was making in his cabinet pics I was appalled as they were - and are - such hard-right politicians who will do everything in their power to destroy the democracy we have had for so long. But after seeing some of the polls coming out from the conservative party members - about 160K of them - in the lead up to the leadership contest -they seem to be hell-bent on following a path that is not palatable to millions of others and they don't care!!!

Yes they need to go but unless the opposition parties come together with tory rebels and truly unite I don't see how we can stop their destructive path and I don't see that happening either what with Corbyn believing he should somehow become a caretaker prime minister - too many of his own party don't even want that.

I'm actually starting to buy extra provisions each shop I do as I do believe a no-deal Brexit will leave us with shortages which will lead to goodness knows what!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information