Brexit: The aftermath

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member

The former Conservative MP wrote: “By unleashing English nationalism, Brexit has made the future of the UK the central political issue of the coming decade. Northern Ireland is already heading for the exit door.
“By remaining in the EU single market, it is for all economic intents and purposes now slowly becoming part of a united Ireland. Its prosperity now depends on its relationship with Dublin (and Brussels), not London. The politics will follow,” he wrote on Tuesday.

Louis

Private citizen
I'm not a Brexiteer at all, but I'm losing patience with the "please help us make everything the way it used to be" arguments. ADAPT. Just like the Rosslare - Dunkirk ferry links. Or the Polish guy who's producing a portion of his vodka in the UK even though it costs one pound more.

We (finally) know the rules now - very belatedly, but we know and can adjust. There will be winners and losers. Be a winner instead of a loser. Relocate European distribution centers out of Great Britain (GB) into the single market. Don't import more EU goods to GB than you need to. Some UK jobs will be lost to the continent. Others will be created. This friction is the new normal. It's not going to go away. Figure out a long-term workaround.

taz'smum

as @Jesche says - мама knows best
My long-term workaround is that I am not buying anything online from UK vendors. I suspect most Irish people are doing the same. :shuffle:
Me too sadly.
I never order from the US as you never know what customs duties you will have to pay.
Now the UK is a no go for the same reason.

Louis

Private citizen
My long-term workaround is that I am not buying anything online from UK vendors. I suspect most Irish people are doing the same. :shuffle:

Yeah, those are the breaks :/. I suspect GB consumers will not be buying as much from EU/NI vendors. We'll source our goods differently. Businesses will lose customers, but gain others. Smart businesses will focus on finding the gains, rather than trying to stop what will be inevitable losses.

allezfred

Staff member
Yeah, those are the breaks :/. I suspect GB consumers will not be buying as much from EU/NI vendors. We'll source our goods differently. Businesses will lose customers, but gain others. Smart businesses will focus on finding the gains, rather than trying to stop what will be inevitable losses.
The difference being I have 26 other countries to buy tax and duty free from.

allezfred

Staff member
Though the British economy is the size of the 18 smallest EU states combined.
The U.K. exported more to Ireland and our five million people than it did to China, India and Brazil combined. What the U.K. did defied the laws of economic logic and it is going to take an awful lot of work for British firms to find new markets to replace what they have lost.

In the meantime, Brexit has been a disaster for the fishing industry and those in the industry are just realising they have been lied to.

antmanb

In the meantime, Brexit has been a disaster for the fishing industry and those in the industry are just realising they have been lied to.

They chose to believe the liars, even when they were confronted with facts showing that the liars were indeed lying. And now they're surprised that they were lied to. Cry me a fcuking river :rolleyes:

I ordered something from a German company a couple of weeks ago. I paid £8 postage and packaging for a small value £20 item. The delivery date (using UPS) was put back a week. The day before it was due for delivery I received a refund for the full amount from the company (but no email explaining why). Later that morning the item was delivered :confused:

Vagabond

Simon Spurrell said he has lost 20% of his sales overnight after discovering he needed to provide a £180 health certificate on retail orders to consumers in the EU, including those buying personal gift packs of his award-winning wax-wrapped cheese worth £25 or £30.

He says he had hoped to take part in the “sunny uplands” promised by the government post-Brexit but has instead seen the viability of his online retail come to a “dead stop”.

“Our business had high hopes of continued growth in the EU market, after seeing the avoidance of the no-deal and announcement of a free trade deal.

“What has only become clear in the last week is that our successful B2C [business to consumer] online sales to EU consumers is now impossible to operate,” he said.

To save his business he will now have to switch a £1m investment he was planning to make in a new distribution centre in Macclesfield to the EU, with the loss of 20 jobs and tax revenue to the UK.
Is Boris Johnson completely inept at negotiation, or did he consciously negotiate a deal that had the same effect as no deal?

"Sunny uplands" indeed! :rolleyes:

hanca

Values her privacy
Interesting. No comments about the EU’s actions towards the UK? No thoughts about EU planning to trigger Article 16 of the Northern Ireland protocol - creating a hard boarder?

allezfred

Staff member
Interesting. No comments about the EU’s actions towards the UK? No thoughts about EU planning to trigger Article 16 of the Northern Ireland protocol - creating a hard boarder?
Massive mess up by the European Commission but it never threatened a hard border. It doesn’t have the authority to do so.

The headlines in the British press (what’s new there :lol: ) are really misleading and make it seem like the EU wanted to block the North Ireland vaccines.

They actually - clumsily - tried to protect vaccines destined for Northern Ireland while preventing it being a backdoor for exports to Britain.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
I see, so triggering the Article 16 would protect the vaccines destined for N? I can’t help being just a bit sceptical.

mella

They actually - clumsily - tried to protect vaccines destined for Northern Ireland while preventing it being a backdoor for exports to Britain.
I'm interested in your take on how this works as the headlines here seem to have arisen at least in part from comments by Arlene Foster who seems to have made the suggestion that the EU would be obstructing vaccines reaching NI.

I've generally been firmly on the side of the EU in these skirmishes but yesterday's reading didn't create a very positive impression...

allezfred

Staff member
I'm interested in your take on how this works as the headlines here seem to have arisen at least in part from comments by Arlene Foster who seems to have made the suggestion that the EU would be obstructing vaccines reaching NI.

I've generally been firmly on the side of the EU in these skirmishes but yesterday's reading didn't create a very positive impression...
Oh it absolutely didn’t create a positive impression at all and the Irish government were furious at the EU Commission about it. However, Arlene Foster rarely says anything at all in good faith especially when it comes to the Northern Ireland protocol.

Last edited:

mella

Oh it absolutely didn’t create a positive impression at all and the Irish government were furious at the EU Commission about it. However, Arlene Foster rarely says anything at all in good faith especially when it comes to the Northern Ireland protocol.

Ah yes. I didn't consider AF's historic MO when weighing her comments.

taz'smum

as @Jesche says - мама knows best
That's what attracts caseyedwards about Trump. :sekret:
Ah, he's attracted to his large corporation...the only corporation that Trump has created successfully, all bought and paid for himself and still growing with every big Mac...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information