Brexit: The aftermath

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I was watching last week's Amazing Race episode where they are in the UK and have to decorate cakes with flags from EU countries. Guess how many picked the UK flag and were shocked to hear the UK isn't in the EU anymore? :rofl:

mella

I was watching last week's Amazing Race episode where they are in the UK and have to decorate cakes with flags from EU countries. Guess how many picked the UK flag and were shocked to hear the UK isn't in the EU anymore? :rofl:
I've never watched this show... are these competitors from the UK? If so :rofl: :eek::duh:

emason

I've never watched this show... are these competitors from the UK? If so :rofl: :eek::duh:
No, they are Americans; they also had to find a bobby to get a clue. Almost all of them had no clue what a bobby was. As an American, I am embarrassed for the US.

ETA: A few seasons ago they were in France. The teams had to go up in gliders or on a zip line or something and scan the ground for three words of a motto and come back and repeat the words to the person handing out the clues. I wouldn't even have gone up; I would have marched over to the person checking the answers and said, since my French is non-existent, en Anglais liberty, equality, fraternity. What else was it going to be? Not those teams, they had no clue; they had to keep going up repeatedly and trying and trying before they finally started getting it. I guess no one in the US reads A Tale of Two Cities in high school anymore.

Last edited:

mella

No, they are Americans; they also had to find a bobby to get a clue. Almost all of them had no clue what a bobby was. As an American, I am embarrassed for the US.

Well the bobby thing doesn't seem that surprising or terrible - I'm not sure the term is even used here that much anymore. I imagine teenagers in the UK might not recognise it.

The EU thing - thats a bit awkward.

emason

Well the bobby thing doesn't seem that surprising or terrible - I'm not sure the term is even used here that much anymore. I imagine teenagers in the UK might not recognise it.

The EU thing - thats a bit awkward.
I just added something to my post. See what else I wrote.

taz'smum

as @Jesche says - мама knows best
When I lived in Seattle in the late 80s, some people asked me what there was to do in London.
They asked can you ski there? :oops:

They also asked me if I knew someone they knew from London.
They seemed genuinely surprised when I said I didn't.
I felt like replying - "yes of course, all 9 million Londoners go down the pub together on a Friday....."

I also asked them if they'd been abroad and they replied, "yes, I've been to Oregon".
They seemed to be totally ignorant of everything outside of America at that point in time.

mella

ETA: A few seasons ago they were in France. The teams had to go up in gliders or on a zip line or something and scan the ground for three words of a motto and come back and repeat the words to the person handing out the clues. I wouldn't even have gone up; I would have marched over to the person checking the answers and said, since my French is non-existent, en Anglais liberty, equality, fraternity. What else was it going to be? Not those teams, they had no clue; they had to keep going up repeatedly and trying and trying before they finally started getting it. I guess no one in the US reads A Tale of Two Cities in high school anymore.
Oh my!

When I lived in Seattle in the late 80s, some people asked me what there was to do in London.
They asked can you ski there? :oops:

They also asked me if I knew someone they knew from London.
They seemed genuinely surprised when I said I didn't.
I felt like replying - "yes of course, all 9 million Londoners go down the pub together on a Friday....."

I also asked them if they'd been abroad and they replied, "yes, I've been to Oregon".
They seemed to be totally ignorant of everything outside of America at that point in time.
:eek:

emason

@taz'smum In my experience a lot of East Coast Americans think Florida or the Caribbean or Mexico is it for travel and West Coasters think Hawaii is it for travel. My last full time job was working for an architectural firm and I loved it because they all thought it was cool when I took a week’s vacation to go to Warsaw for Euros and I thought it was cool when one architect booked a flight to Prague for the long Thanksgiving weekend. Those architects were adventurous and didn’t hesitate to go interesting places.

Louis

Private citizen
In partial fairness, it makes no meaningful difference to Americans whether or not a country is in the EU.

EU, EEA, EFTA, Schengen, single market, customs union…. all very confusing. For instance, I work with a highly educated lifelong European who did not realize they needed to bring an identify card / passport to Ireland and ended up getting detained at the border. (They ended up getting in, but using a document that isn’t fit for travel.)

Plus Brexit dragged on for so long, with transition periods, etc., that I can’t blame people for not remembering if the U.K. actually left.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
@taz'smum In my experience a lot of East Coast Americans think Florida or the Caribbean or Mexico is it for travel and West Coasters think Hawaii is it for travel. My last full time job was working for an architectural firm and I loved it because they all thought it was cool when I took a week’s vacation to go to Warsaw for Euros and I thought it was cool when one architect booked a flight to Prague for the long Thanksgiving weekend. Those architects were adventurous and didn’t hesitate to go interesting places.
Also Mexico. At least for Californians.

Plus Brexit dragged on for so long, with transition periods, etc., that I can’t blame people for not remembering if the U.K. actually left.
One of the contestants did say that she had heard about Brexit but didn't think it had happened yet. Her teammate said, "I don't watch the news" and had never even heard of Brexit. I don't get that. Even if you don't watch the news, Brexit was all over social media and even someone who only reads headlines should have at least heard of it.

As for "bobby," most of the contestants are in their late 20s, early 30s but there are always some that are even older. I don't know at what age people wouldn't be expected to know what a bobby is. But these aren't teenagers.

mella

As for "bobby," most of the contestants are in their late 20s, early 30s but there are always some that are even older. I don't know at what age people wouldn't be expected to know what a bobby is. But these aren't teteenagers.
Is bobby a term used in the US? I thought it was a British-ism...

ETA: I guess I was thinking there are people in the UK who wouldn't get that reference amymore so its not unexpected that a non- British person wouldn't. Fwiw I've just asked a cousin in his 20s to get an anecdotal comparable (as he already upset me today bit not understanding a reference to Fred and Rose West). His answer was "no idea unless you mean the pin" - his mum and older sisters sew :rofl:

Last edited:

mella

It is not a US term, but anyone who reads books that take place in England or watches UK film/tv would be exposed to it at some point, it seems. I can't remember not knowing what it meant tbh.
I dont think it's a term you'd hear/read much in more modern UK film or books. I think other (mostly less pleasant) slang has taken over. Until this thread i can't think of the last time I'd heard/read bobby. I'm not usually shy in coming forward about the lack of awareness that some Americans show of the rest of the world but honestly I think this one's pretty obscure.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I dont think it's a term you'd hear/read much in more modern UK film or books. I think other (mostly less pleasant) slang has taken over. Until this thread i can't think of the last time I'd heard/read bobby. I'm not usually shy in coming forward about the lack of awareness that some Americans show of the rest of the world but honestly I think this one's pretty obscure.
That's why I asked what age you would have to be in order not to know this.

mella

That's why I asked what age you would have to be in order not to know this.
My survey of one says mid to late 20s don't know the term :lol:. My guess would be in the UK some 30 up would recognise it. 40 and up most will know it though not use it. 50 up would all know it and some probably used to use it. 60 up all would know it and maybe still use it. I'd think knowledge of the term outside the UK would be less for the 50 and under groups.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
I believe that some posters here are demonstrating their age and/or Anglophilia regarding the term "bobby" that many people in the general public do not possess.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
If memory serves, the son of my mother's 2nd cousin worked on the marketing campaign for the euro back around 2000. I think he was based in Dublin. It involved the famous heads of state on pound notes coming to life and talking. Or maybe that was just his pitch. Delightful family, I think we scared them the one time we met.

taz'smum

as @Jesche says - мама knows best

This appears to be yet another party.

Never let it be said that Boris Johnson is not a party man.
To think people said that he wasn't capable of even organising a p*ss up in a brewery 🤣

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I suspect FSU Americans are much more familiar than average with the term "bobby". Christopher Dean was a bobby during part of his competitive career, and that was mentioned often in articles about Torvill & Dean.
Interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that.

For me, I read it in books as a child and I think maybe in movies and tv shows I watched. But if it's not used much now in the UK, then that would explain why younger people didn't know. I'm old. :D

To think people said that he wasn't capable of even organising a p*ss up in a brewery 🤣
Maybe they should have said that's all he's capable of organizing.

I don't understand why he keeps doing this. There have been isolated incidents of other politicians breaking quarantine rules but no case I know of where they did it more than once!

Vagabond

I don't understand why he keeps doing this. There have been isolated incidents of other politicians breaking quarantine rules but no case I know of where they did it more than once!
An American politician used to break quarantine rules openly all the time and got away with it because his entire political party was craven.

No one revealed Johnson's predilection for flouting these particular rules until recently.

He's quarantining now, so he can use his extra time to figure out how to spin the parties.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
An American politician used to break quarantine rules openly all the time and got away with it because his entire political party was craven.
I should have been more specific. No politician who claimed to be following the rules but didn't and got caught ever did it again. The ones flouting them for political reasons aren't being hypocrites or dumb when they flout them as that is part of their position on the issue.

For example, our governor went to that party at the French Laundry, was called out on it, and never did anything like that again. Same with Nancy Pelosi and her hairdresser. I'm thinking that Johnson as the one implementing these rules would fall into their category and not the category of TFG (who I assume is the one you are referring to).

Vagabond

I should have been more specific. No politician who claimed to be following the rules but didn't and got caught ever did it again. The ones flouting them for political reasons aren't being hypocrites or dumb when they flout them as that is part of their position on the issue.

For example, our governor went to that party at the French Laundry, was called out on it, and never did anything like that again. Same with Nancy Pelosi and her hairdresser. I'm thinking that Johnson as the one implementing these rules would fall into their category and not the category of TFG (who I assume is the one you are referring to).
That is to whom I was referring, but San Francisco Mayor London Breed went to The French Laundry about a week after Gov. Newsom, got called out on it, and has been filmed in nightclub, unmasked and in close proximity to other people. I am sure that if you look you can find other examples.

🤔 This is the first time I have ever noticed any particular similarity between London Breed and Boris Johnson.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
That is to whom I was referring, but San Francisco Mayor London Breed went to The French Laundry about a week after Gov. Newsom, got called out on it, and has been filmed in nightclub, unmasked and in close proximity to other people. I am sure that if you look you can find other examples.
I think for the nightclub example, she was following the rules though. I think the rules were that you had to be vaccinated. We were in between mask mandates at the time. It did make the local news so that's why I remember that it didn't break the rules as they went all over that.

🤔 This is the first time I have ever noticed any particular similarity between London Breed and Boris Johnson.

The mind, it boggles. :lol:

Vagabond

I think for the nightclub example, she was following the rules though. I think the rules were that you had to be vaccinated. We were in between mask mandates at the time. It did make the local news so that's why I remember that it didn't break the rules as they went all over that.

The mind, it boggles. :lol:
San Francisco Mayor London Breed attended a concert at the Black Cat jazz club in the Tenderloin on Wednesday night, where most patrons inside the subterranean venue did not wear a mask as mandated by the city. According to current guidance, the health department requires that everyone wear a well-fitted mask in indoor public buildings even if they are fully vaccinated against *********-19, except while actively eating or drinking. Breed spent the night dancing and posing for photographs without a face covering as members of the ‘90s East Bay R&B band Tony! Toni! Toné! performed.
PHoto showing her maskless at the Black Cat is here:

The similarity with Boris Johnson does boggle the mind.

Last edited:

antmanb

Johnson is an arrogant twat and thought he'd got away with it. Someone is leaking this information well after the fact in order to get rid of him. I'm guessing Dominic Cummings is the one leaking this stuff slowly and one at time knowing what a liar Johnson is and knowing that every few weeks another new revelation undermines Johnson even more. But to who's benefit? Rishi Sunak? Liz Truss?

Louis

Private citizen
Someone is leaking this information well after the fact in order to get rid of him. I'm guessing Dominic Cummings is the one leaking this stuff slowly and one at time knowing what a liar Johnson is and knowing that every few weeks another new revelation undermines Johnson even more.

This does seem like a serial, where everyone is waiting for the next instalment to drop 🤣. No idea who’s to benefit or what they’re angling for. My guess is repeal of C19 restrictions (underway), probably repeal or delay of the national insurance rise, and maybe some kind of serious deviation from EU rules to show Brexit Britain has its freedoms back. I’m not entirely convinced the leaker wants a leadership challenge, if it’s a political v personal angle. Gove or even Javid could go the other way (more Johnsonian v textbook conservative in policy), and I’m not sure we know what Sunak stands for. At least I don’t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information