Boris Johnson Admitted To Hospital With C-*****

taz'smum

as @Jesche says - мама knows best
Hate Boris Johnson as I do, I cannot imagine a world in which Corbyn would have been better in this crisis (I held my nose and voted Corbyn in the last general).

You are making a good point.

I can however imagine if Starmer had been the PM now, it would've been very, very different.

Mainly because there would've been a plan! :wall:

hanca

Values her privacy

I can however imagine if Starmer had been the PM now, it would've been very, very different.

And if Dumbledore was PM, there would be no epidemic because he can do magic!

D

Deleted member 40371

There is no plan, what is the plan now... he hasn't even published labour's plan for the future. The only thing they have published is a plan for renters, which is a disaster and would push so many into homelessness in 2 years' time. He is been asking for schools to reopen even before tory's wanted. He is coming from the right of Rishi Sunak in many issues, there lay the problem. Two years from now when Boris has had enough of being PM, the likely route for CONS is Gove or Sunak, Sunak will start to look a lot more appealing for traditional left-wing voters compared to Thangam Deboeire and Stamer's policies. Some may sit out the election, others may vote for other left-wing parties.

An early lockdown would have reduced so many of these damages. At that point, most here were talking about Italy being doomed. They should have locked down earlier, instead, they pursed herd immunity.

hanca

Values her privacy

taz'smum

The UK has officially reported 37,837 deaths where C***d-19 was on the death certificate.

The Office for National Statistics has registered 59,537 more deaths than usual since the week ending March 20.

UK suffers second-highest death rate from c***ir*s | Free to read
UK excess deaths reach almost 60,000 - paywall

The discrepancy between the government reported deaths and the ONS registered excess deaths can be accounted for by the following
  • people who have died of c**id without having a test
  • people who didn't get the hospital treatment they'd normally have got due hospitals being too busy with c**id
  • people scared to go to hospital for fear of catching c**id

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
The U.K. was also late to start counting deaths from YKW in nursing homes. Ireland has been counting those from the beginning and we have the second highest proportion in the world (I believe only Canada is worse :( ).

hanca

Values her privacy
The U.K. was also late to start counting deaths from YKW in nursing homes. Ireland has been counting those from the beginning and we have the second highest proportion in the world (I believe only Canada is worse :( ).
They added the deaths from nursing homes later. I was watching the numbers on worldometer and it changed/was corrected and then there was note that they added it.

Vagabond

The Office of Communications (aka Ofcom), the British regulatory authority for broadcasting, received 494 complaints after the actress Miriam Margolyes, who played Professor Sprout in the Harry Potter movies, said on a late-night talk show:

I had difficulty not wanting Boris Johnson to die, I wanted him to die, and then I thought that reflects badly on me and I don’t want to be the sort of person who wants people to die. So then I wanted him to get better, which he did do, he did get better, but he didn’t get better as a human being and I really would prefer that. So, you know we’re in the s*** basically here”

Needless to say, the claims were rejected and Margolyes' statement was found to meet generally accepted standards.

I have to wonder, though, about those 494 people. What the heck were they thinking? :huh:

Also, Alexei Yagudin could learn a thing or two here.

antmanb

Miriam Margolyes is basically invited onto shows like the Last Leg (where she made these particular comments) and Graham Norton's show precisely to say outlandish things. They even invite her back onto daytime TV shows where she often swears and it then creates a buzz all over the place.

That said I think I went through the same thought process as she did :shuffle:

taz'smum

Lorac

Downing street said it didn't happen, so the many witnesses who say they saw him are clearly mistaken! ;)

I just wish one of them had taken a picture of him. There are reports that baby Wilf was christened on the 12th September so who knows.

Louis

Private citizen
Now Boris has declared that the pubs must close at 10 pm beginning on Thursday.

I don't have any big beef with this, but I am questioning whether he can survive this :lol:. I know a few diehard conservatives who are already saying they will vote Labour. Brexit? Eh, whatever. Closing the pubs - outrage.

Vagabond

Now Boris has declared that the pubs must close at 10 pm beginning on Thursday.

I don't have any big beef with this, but I am questioning whether he can survive this :lol:. I know a few diehard conservatives who are already saying they will vote Labour. Brexit? Eh, whatever. Closing the pubs - outrage.
Everything I have read indicates that the British public and many Tory MP's are getting carsick from all of his sudden, violent U-turns on policies related to you-know-what.

antmanb

Everyone on the Sage committee has come out to say that 10pm curfew was never discussed and doesn't "follow" any science.

As every single person in the UK knows - pub curfews only spur on greater binge drinking. The whole point of scrapping the 11pm pub licence cut off was to not have such a rush to binge drink before the pubs close and allow things to be more measured over a longer period of time.

It's pretty clear that if pubs close at 10 all people will do is have people back their houses to continue drinking. Even if alcohol can't be bought anywhere after 10pm it doesn't stop people from stocking up at home before 10pm.

I suspect that actually closing down pubs and restaurants is the only way to try and control the current outbreaks.

Johnson always said if the R rate got above 1 then we would have to close things down again and it's been above 1 for weeks and likely around 1.5.

litenkyckling

Everyone on the Sage committee has come out to say that 10pm curfew was never discussed and doesn't "follow" any science.

As every single person in the UK knows - pub curfews only spur on greater binge drinking. The whole point of scrapping the 11pm pub licence cut off was to not have such a rush to binge drink before the pubs close and allow things to be more measured over a longer period of time.

It's pretty clear that if pubs close at 10 all people will do is have people back their houses to continue drinking. Even if alcohol can't be bought anywhere after 10pm it doesn't stop people from stocking up at home before 10pm.

I suspect that actually closing down pubs and restaurants is the only way to try and control the current outbreaks.

Johnson always said if the R rate got above 1 then we would have to close things down again and it's been above 1 for weeks and likely around 1.5.

I don't know if you've seen the photos from central London over the weekend, but it was totally mobbed with people trying to get home after being kicked out at 10pm - someone said it was the busiest they've seen London since lockdown was lifted....

I honestly frequently feel stupid for believing this government could not get any worse

Lorac

And earlier today Bojo makes a total cockup of telling people what the rule of 6 actually means. He had to apologies after making a total mess of trying to explain it. And they expect the general public to follow these rules 😑

taz'smum

One thing you can honestly say, is that Boris Johnson has completely lived up to expectations!
He has approached the role of prime minister in much the same way as he approached the role of Mayor of London.

Japanfan

One thing you can honestly say, is that Boris Johnson has completely lived up to expectations!
He has approached the role of prime minister in much the same way as he approached the role of Mayor of London.

I'm sad to say this puts him a few steps ahead of Trump, who still thinks he is the star of a reality TV show.

Vagabond

I'm sad to say this puts him a few steps ahead of Trump, who still thinks he is the star of a reality TV show.
I used to watch Johnson at the Oxford Union. He had a star quality then, and he has a star quality now. In that respect, Trump and he are not so very different from each other.

Unlike Trump, however, Johnson spent the whole of his adult life preparing to be elected to the highest office in the land. Unfortunately, he apparently never developed the skills or mindset to carry out the responsibilities of office properly.

Japanfan

I used to watch Johnson at the Oxford Union. He had a star quality then, and he has a star quality now. In that respect, Trump and he are not so very different from each other.

Trump has star quality? Not IMO. He was/is just a rich man thanks to daddy's $$. He was successful on The Apprentice because so many of the candidates had star quality. And because the contests between contestants could be interesting and funny - but be sure that writers/producers were responsible for that, not Trump himself. If I'd known who he would become, I would not have watched that show? But who coulda thunk?

We're talking about a man who has commented on the sexual attractiveness of his own daughter. He said (to Howard Stern IIRC) that if she wasn't his daughter, he'd be dating her. :eek: And when Ivanka hosted a beauty contest (a big one like Miss America, maybe Miss World - one of the contests that Trump owned) at about age 15, she said to the audience "How are you doing, men? Getting excited" (I paraphrase). Right out of daddy's play book.

Trump has also bragged about being able to take a peek into contestants' dressing room, when they were not fully dressed. And I think these were just teen girls, under 16.

And then there was his televised bragging about how he could do whatever he wanted to girls/women - just 'grab em by the p****.

To me that makes him creep quality, not star quality.

hanca

Values her privacy

Unlike Trump, however, Johnson spent the whole of his adult life preparing to be elected to the highest office in the land. Unfortunately, he apparently never developed the skills or mindset to carry out the responsibilities of office properly.
They are actually very different. Trump occasionally looks as if he is turning into a carrot. In fact, the only person I have seen looking more orange was Savchenko during one of her competitive season in the past. Johnson does not turn orange, and when I look at him, I really have an unexplainable urge to put my hands in his hair. He has the Albert Einstein hairstyle, the one you could describe as ‘just got out of bed and couldn’t find my comb’. I mean, seriously, who would you prefer to look at? Are you really saying that you can’t see the difference?

Last edited:

mjb52

Trump has been a celebrity since the 80s - he's probably one of the most long-standing famous people alive today. Acknowledging the level of his celebrity isn't the same thing as denying that he's a terrible person. It's a huge weapon for him and he has used it.

MacMadame

Staying at home
He's a celebrity but I'm not sure he has "star quality". I think he just works to keep his name in the news.

But we'd have to define what star quality is and I doubt we'd get 100% agreement.

Vagabond

But we'd have to define what star quality is and I doubt we'd get 100% agreement.
I suppose that some bullheaded people would say that the dictionary definition of "star quality" was invalid, but the rest of us can rely on this:
a special ability that makes someone seem very successful or better than other people:

He is a player who has the star quality to delight his fans.
That describes Johnson and Trump perfectly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information