Boris Johnson Admitted To Hospital With C-*****

Maofan7

Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital with C-*****. Reports say that it is a precautionary measure, but this has to be a very worrying development. Indeed, earlier reports from before he was admitted to hospital described his condition as dreadful and that fears were growing for his health

Last edited:

skatingguy

Golden Team
Putting aside the schadenfreude of his earlier comments about handshaking, this is truly a disturbing development. There are many people still not taking this seriously, and if there is any positive from this development Johnson will serve as a high profile example of the danger of this *****.

Last edited:

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
Putting aside the schadenfreude of his earlier comments about handshaking, this is truly a truly disturbing development. There are many people still not taking this seriously, and if there is any positive from this development Johnson will serve as a high profile example of the danger of this *****.

It truly will. What an awful disease this is. :(

floskate

Vacant
I'm really shaken by this. I certainly don't agree with his politics in general but I do believe he has had the very best intentions throughout this crisis and I truly hope he is able to pull through this. Maybe now people will start to finally realise the importance of staying at home. Even this evening, someone sent a question in to a *********-19 TV special asking if she and her boyfriend - who are isolating apart with their respective families - could rent an airbnb for some time toegther!!! I am raging hourly at the continued stupidity of the British people. Whatever happened to common sense?

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
Watching BBC news now and just heard a reporter say Johnson was in ICU as “a precautionary measure”. Medical professionals - do patients ever get sent to the ICU as a precaution?

Maofan7

Sobering tweet from Andrew Neil: “I’m told on good authority that after circa 10 days this ***** either gives up and you recover with no damage done or it really decides to go for you and you have a 50:50 chance. The PM’s decision to work through his isolation will not have helped. Nor loneliness in Downing St.

Can only hope for the best. Get well soon.

Last edited:

floskate

Vacant
Watching BBC news now and just heard a reporter say Johnson was in ICU as “a precautionary measure”. Medical professionals - do patients ever get sent to the ICU as a precaution?

I just think this is government spin. I mean they were still saying he was fully in control and in good spirits during the 5pm news conference when obviously this was anything but the case. If he's in ICU then he obviously needs to be there.

Maofan7

This article sets out the circumstances leading up to the PM’s admission to hospital. Reads:-

This, then, was the background to the moment when the Prime Minister's ******** diagnosis became more serious.

Certainly, we understand, his fellow ministers were concerned enough about his appearance to raise it themselves. He was urged to seek fresh medical advice, but he ploughed on insisting it was only a minor temperature and that there was too much work to be done.

After the Cabinet meeting broke up on Sunday morning, Mr Johnson returned to the Downing Street flat. He continued to take calls and worked on official papers in his Government red boxes.

He went for a walk in the Downing Street garden. But with his health seemingly getting worse by the hour, he was coughing and finding breathing more difficult, he backed down and agreed to speak to his GP if he hadn't improved after a siesta of an hour or two.

When there was no improvement, he spoke by video conference link to the doctor, who saw that the PM was markedly worse than when they had spoken midweek.

Mr Johnson, who by his own admission had ignored the physician's advice to take maximum rest, was finding it more difficult to breathe.

Uppermost in the doctor's mind was that the Prime Minister has suffered in the past from pneumonia-type symptoms – though there is no suggestion he has this condition now.

A second source said: 'Do not underestimate the macho nature of the Westminster political Establishment. Boris will not have wanted to look weak.' When the PM ended his call to his doctor, his mind was made up.

The GP had effectively ordered him to go to hospital or run a real risk to his health. After a minor argument with his officials, he agreed to go.

An overnight bag was packed and Mr Johnson was driven the short journey to St Thomas', accompanied by his bodyguards.

As one of our sources said: 'It's been admirable the way he's wanted to carry on with the job, leading from the front, and making sure he is on top of every decision. But in the end he's not done his health any good. He has to give in to the ***** and rest.’ ”

The article also points out the following: “he was once proud of his fitness routine thanks to regular jogging and cycling even when he was Foreign Secretary. But that is a distant memory and at ten weeks short of his 56th birthday, Mr Johnson is a different man, overweight and physically out of shape.“ In terms of those who come down with the more serious symptoms relating to this *****, obesity is unfortunately a major contributory factor.

Last edited:

mag

I was interested to listen to Chris Cuomo about his fight with the *****. When you have pneumonia you need to rest, then rest some more. Then when you think you are better, rest some more. What Chris was saying is that yes you need to rest, but you also need to stay off your a$$ (his words) to prevent the pneumonia. It does make sense. He said he has breathing exercises. Nothing that would get your heart rate up or wear you out, but exercises to keep the oxygen moving through your lungs.

I think this is why, when healthcare systems get overwhelmed, the death rate skyrockets. It seems this is a disease that need to be taken seriously right from the get go. Unfortunately it sounds like Boris thought he could tough it out. I sure hope, now that he is in hospital, he can beat it. Hopefully he will also be a cautionary tale to anyone else who thinks they can just keep going on as before.

canbelto

I was interested to listen to Chris Cuomo about his fight with the *****. When you have pneumonia you need to rest, then rest some more. Then when you think you are better, rest some more. What Chris was saying is that yes you need to rest, but you also need to stay off your a$$ (his words) to prevent the pneumonia. It does make sense. He said he has breathing exercises. Nothing that would get your heart rate up or wear you out, but exercises to keep the oxygen moving through your lungs.

I think this is why, when healthcare systems get overwhelmed, the death rate skyrockets. It seems this is a disease that need to be taken seriously right from the get go. Unfortunately it sounds like Boris thought he could tough it out. I sure hope, now that he is in hospital, he can beat it. Hopefully he will also be a cautionary tale to anyone else who thinks they can just keep going on as before.

Boris Johnson also struggles with his weight and might have some underlying health conditions.

mag

Boris Johnson also struggles with his weight and might have some underlying health conditions.

I agree! This also isn’t Boris’ fault. He has a very stressful job and I suspect was trying to do the work because he knew it had to get done. My point was really that it seems this is a disease where outcomes are more likely to be positive if people get care quickly. That means testing and medical care even if you aren’t near death. Flattening the curve and spreading this out so that everyone has access to care is so important.

nimi

I just think this is government spin. I mean they were still saying he was fully in control and in good spirits during the 5pm news conference when obviously this was anything but the case. If he's in ICU then he obviously needs to be there.
My thoughts exactly.

"This is the pinned tweet for St Thomas's ICU where Boris Johnson is being treated. It shows clearly established protocols for what steps it takes when in treating *********-19. Stark contrast with the clumsy, damaging obfuscation from no 10" (link)
Assuming they're following the protocol and treating Boris like anyone else, looks like he's moved from yellow to amber...

bardtoob

Clichy Competitive Audition Protocol Auditor
Last edited:

millyskate

He has been on oxygen. They just interviewed a man who had been through the same last week, and he also was transferred to the ICU after needing oxygen but never got put on a ventilator. It sounds like he was moved at the exact same stage as Boris, so whilst I think it's normal to surround the prime minister with extra care everyone in the UK appears to be on the same regime at the moment.

Maofan7

Maofan7

Not a dig at you, @Maofan7, but I really don't like it when terms like "fighter" are used to describe sick people. Everyone who is sick is fighting to get better. People don't die because they don't fight hard enough - sometimes they just have too much going on in their bodies.

Where in this entire thread has anybody said that! The word was used by Dominic Raab in his statement, not by any poster on here. It’s a word a lot of journalists and politicians use - in this context, probable because it helps to keep up public morale, as opposed to whether they actually believe that it plays in any real role in recovery.

Last edited:

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Where in this entire thread has anybody said that! It’s a word a lot of journalists and politicians use - in this context, probable because it helps to keep up public morale, as opposed to whether they believe that it plays in any real role in recovery.

It appears in the link of the story you posted.

And just because it's used a lot doesn't mean it's appropriate, or helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information