Beijing Olympic Winter Games protests & politics thread

caseyedwards

I'm sure you're familiar with the name Alexei Navalny? There's a reason for the poisoning attempt and that he's in jail right now and it's not because he's a great unknown or a criminal.
He’s not actually the closest rival. The closest rival are people from the far right nationalist/religious movements.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I'm sure you're familiar with the name Alexei Navalny? There's a reason for the poisoning attempt and that he's in jail right now and it's not because he's a great unknown or a criminal.
a propped up ? the same saviour who gets thrown tomatoes and eggs when he even sets foot in the caucasus
russians remember the 1990s, if thats freedom for you, good luck convincing.

but hey you had Trump and now Biden a bit a contested win (unaccounted or added votes)

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Oh, hell no. There was no diplomatic boycott in Japan. This is strictly because of China and their atrocious record on human rights and suppression of democracy.
hmm if Saudi Arabia was hosting the Games, would the US make a diplomatic boycott, HHAHAHA LMAO at the Fart Hypocrisy.
The US probably exports even their saw and hammer. :slinkaway

Karen-W

hmm if Saudi Arabia was hosting the Games, would the US make a diplomatic boycott, HHAHAHA LMAO at the Fart Hypocrisy.
The US probably exports even their saw and hammer. :slinkaway
Well, we'll never know the answer to that since, Saudi Arabia, like Qatar and the rest of the Middle East, won't be a host for either the Summer or Winter Olympics unless there is some serious climate change.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Well, we'll never know the answer to that since, Saudi Arabia, like Qatar and the rest of the Middle East, won't be a host for either the Summer or Winter Olympics unless there is some serious climate change.
They are trying , most of the Olympic Coommitees are headed by rich Middle Eastern Emirs, the latest if you forgotten is the FINA now headed by a rich Kuwaiti member, it wont be long. Saudi Arabia is Bidens champion for democracy. :blocjudge

Karen-W

They are trying , most of the Olympic Coommitees are headed by rich Middle Eastern Emirs, the latest if you forgotten is the FINA now headed by a rich Kuwaiti member, it wont be long. Saudi Arabia is Bidens champion for democracy. :blocjudge
They can try but until they can figure out how to overcome the extreme heat of July and August in the Middle East then they're not going to be advanced to targeted dialogue much less selected as a host city. The IOC requires the SOG be held in one of those months and don't think that it will change - it didn't change for Brisbane and that bid was ushered through by Bach's right-hand man, John Coates.

Vagabond

Qatar will be hosting the World Cup next year, but I don't know whether the Biden Administration cares about soccer it in the same way that it cares about figure skating the Olympics.

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
Russia unveils Beijing Olympics kit with national colors (Dec. 10) - 20 photos included:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love!
Putin vows to Xi that he (and Russia) will attend the opening ceremonies of Beijing 2022, in the face of US-NATO “very aggressive” rhetoric (words of Putin’s aide Peskov aka Mr Navka):

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
Associated Press article today (Dec. 20):
Lianhe Zaobao, a Singaporean Chinese-language newspaper, posted video of Peng it says was taken Sunday in Shanghai in which she said she has been mainly staying at home in Beijing but was free to come and go as she chose.
“First of all, I want to emphasize something that is very important. I have never said that I wrote that anyone sexually assaulted me. I need to emphasize this point very clearly,” Peng told the newspaper’s reporter.
The reporter did not ask how or why the lengthy and highly detailed Nov. 2 post appeared or whether Peng’s account had been hacked.
The newspaper said it interviewed Peng at a promotional event for the Beijing Winter Olympic Games which begin Feb. 4. She was filmed on the observation deck of a facility where she watched a freestyle ski competition alongside former NBA star Yao Ming and other Chinese sports figures.

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
Back on Dec. 3 in Lake Louise, Mikaela Shiffrin and other Alpine skiers were asked about Peng Shuai:
Italian Federica Brignone, a 16-time winner on the World Cup circuit, said the Peng situation had taken the joy away from the Feb. 4-20 Olympics while American skiers were tight-lipped.
The U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC) has made it clear athletes are free to express thoughts and opinions but questions about Peng or China were clearly off limits for American skiers in Lake Louise for the season opening downhill.
Asked about the Peng situation, Mikaela Shiffrin, who is eyeing five medals in Beijing, stepped back and shook her head then added: “Sorry, call me after (the Olympics).
While most voiced support for Peng, many skiers felt it was up to sport federation officials and governments to sort the matter out and not the athletes.
“For sure we are aware of it,” said Norwegian downhiller Ragnhild Mowinckel. “The Norwegian ski federation and everybody now we take a stand against limiting freedom of speech which is important.
“But at the same time it is hard for us athletes to get involved.
“We chose to go to China, that was the decision and in that way it is what it is.
“It is troubling but at the same time you have to put the searchlight on the leaders and not us athletes.”

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
Gee, no surprise here! https://twitter.com/cbrennansports/status/1473421301364764672
Like Nathan Chen Monday, two more top U.S. figure skaters who spoke out two months ago about China’s human rights abuses — Evan Bates and Vincent Zhou — declined comment on the Peng Shuai situation when given the chance today on a U.S. Figure Skating media zoom call.
:drama: (eta: for CB, not the skaters)

Last edited:

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998

tony

But it just doesn't fcuking glide
Brennan is really irritating me. She's usually whatever but she selectively writes articles about serious issues leaving out major details and now she's desperate for another scandal or big-news maker with the US athletes that she should be letting prepare for Nationals. Some of her IG stories about 'this is how you reply to a question' or whatever she put are :rolleyes: as well.

I know from a few of the stories that have been put out over the last year and a half that she definitely is in it for the controversy more-so than the activism or the change. She knows what she's doing but people aren't stupid.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love!
The very large northern Chinese city of Xi’an (13 mill - home of the the famous terracotta warriors sculptures) goes on lockdown. One person per household is allowed out every two days to buy basic necessities.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
This article deals with the Polish luger who was injured at the Beijing test event. It's not included in here, but I heard that he needed a negative test after he was injured and before he would be admitted to the hospital.

This is not really political but apparently some people want a rosy Olympic thread with happy news only, so whatever, I'll put this in here. The IOC needs to make sure the medical needs of any injured athletes or coaches will be met without red tape.

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
Brennan is really irritating me. She's usually whatever but she selectively writes articles about serious issues leaving out major details and now she's desperate for another scandal or big-news maker with the US athletes that she should be letting prepare for Nationals. Some of her IG stories about 'this is how you reply to a question' or whatever she put are :rolleyes: as well.

I know from a few of the stories that have been put out over the last year and a half that she definitely is in it for the controversy more-so than the activism or the change. She knows what she's doing but people aren't stupid.
Well said..

nylynnr

And more....."I’m reminded of two very different responses by Olympic hopefuls to questions about “political” issues: Ashley Wagner continuing to speak out about Putin’s “anti-gay propaganda” law in Sochi in 2014 and Adam Rippon’s continued criticism of Mike Pence in 2018. It’s why you ask."
I have attended countless USFS teleconferences. I cannot recall Christine asking a single question of an ice dancer re: elements, scores, music, etc. Evan Bates provided a lengthy answer the first time Christine asked him about Chinese human rights issues; yet, the other day she hammered away again, wanting him to repeat himself. Then, she sent out tweets criticizing Evan (and other skaters) for lack of substantial comment.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
I have attended countless USFS teleconferences. I cannot recall Christine asking a single question of an ice dancer re: elements, scores, music, etc. Evan Bates provided a lengthy answer the first time Christine asked him about Chinese human rights issues; yet, the other day she hammered away again, wanting him to repeat himself. Then, she sent out tweets criticizing Evan (and other skaters) for lack of substantial comment.
She is a professional colleague of yours, though, is she not?

If so, have you ever had a conversation with her of how her "approach" could be viewed as counterproductive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information