Ashely Wagner will be in South Korea for the Olympics

Willin

As I suspected...
I'm curious as to who is giving her the media opportunity. Today NBC said they'd have a show dedicated to ice skating coverage during the Olympics, but they announced the cast of that today and Ashley wasn't in it. Today a lot of the journalists on ESPN were talking about how Women's sports need more coverage, so maybe they'll hire her to help cover Olympic sports? They really love the former athletes as journalists thing, and more than that they like people with a lot of personality.

It's also interesting to note that Ashley hasn't decided if she's going to continue or not, and that she's still training every day. I thought she was retiring after this year!

Debbie S

Wagner said she has made no decisions yet about her future in competitive figure skating, but did say that she will use her well-received new “La La Land” program during the Stars on Ice skating tour this spring.
:cheer2: Glad I'll be able to see the program again. And that dress was too gorgeous to only wear once.

Dr.Siouxs

I need this too, snark is like Vitamin D to me :( You're right..Aunt Joyce went down the drain years ago, I can't make even 5 minutes into any of their new content. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah....And who is this Jonathon Breyer? :yawn: To me Jenny Kirk was the show and Dave was just the "gross friend sidekick". Now its just two gross guys

RD

Not surprised at this turn of events. In fact, I was beginning to suspect it when she ended up on the Today show, pulled out of 4CC, and continued to do what seems like numerous photoshoots and media appearances. She loves that spotlight, doesn't she...she'll do anything to stay in it...

What about Wagner's 1st alternate status though? If she's in Korea, I assume she wouldn't be able to use official training facilities as a non-athlete....or will she?

RD

USFS has a practice ice facility in another Korean city (same rink they used before 2017 Four Continents).

Ah interesting....I wasn't aware of that. I wonder how far it is from the Olympic site.

Willin

@Sylvia They're allowed to do that? I thought you were disqualified if you were caught practicing somewhere else once official practices started you were disqualified. Is this only for the lead up to the start of the team event?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
@Dr.Siouxs TBH all I need right now is a TSL-style show with Gracie and Ashley (with Adam when he's not competing)

I would very likely watch the fcuk out of that.

@Sylvia They're allowed to do that? I thought you were disqualified if you were caught practicing somewhere else once official practices started you were disqualified. Is this only for the lead up to the start of the team event?

Not Sylvia, but I imagine this will only be in the lead up - at any rate, the rule won't apply to Ashley since she's not actually competing.

wickedwitch

Because of the length of time between the start and some of the later event, I believe there are special rules for the Olympics allowing competitors to practice at other sites.

skatfan

Many skaters have trained elsewhere during the Olympics. Debi Thomas went back to Colorado, Kristi Yamaguchi went to another rink in France. The US skating team had pre-Olympic ice in Germany before Sochi. Everything is spread out so much (and more so with the team event).

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
If I were Ashley, I'd be in Korea too. You never know, one of the other girls might have a mishap. Ashley can bring her LaLa Land costume and music JUST IN CASE.

Cachoo

I wish I would be seeing Ashley in an Olympic contest that doesn't exist but I wish it was real. I still love the idea of two groups of female skaters 18 and under and 19 and over and having competition for each group. That way the girls who are still growing and the women who have matured will both have opportunity to medal. But mainly this is for the fans who would love to see so many good skaters who are left off of teams.
I will miss seeing Ashley skate and Anna and Tuk and Lip and so on.....but if there were in the 19 and over competition?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
If I were Ashley, I'd be in Korea too. You never know, one of the other girls might have a mishap. Ashley can bring her LaLa Land costume and music JUST IN CASE.

If I were Bradie or Mirai or Karen, I’d be extra careful, be surrounded by trusted people/family/coaches, and have my own - not NBC or USFS-assigned - security guard. Every single moment, between now and the draw for the Ladies SP in Pyeongchang Chang. And I wouldn’t want a highly visible, big-mouthed rival from another coaching camp hovering around.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
If I were Bradie or Mirai or Karen, I’d be extra careful, be surrounded by trusted people/family/coaches, and have my own - not NBC or USFS-assigned - security guard. Every single moment, between now and the draw for the Ladies SP in Pyeongchang Chang. And I wouldn’t want a highly visible, big-mouthed rival from another coaching camp hovering around.

Yeah, 'cause evil big bad Ashley is gonna whack 'em like Tonya did to Nancy :rofl:

MsZem

I see the sea
Not surprised at this turn of events. In fact, I was beginning to suspect it when she ended up on the Today show, pulled out of 4CC, and continued to do what seems like numerous photoshoots and media appearances. She loves that spotlight, doesn't she...she'll do anything to stay in it...
Is there something unusual about a skater working for some kind of media outlets? Everyone from Dick Button to Tatiana Tarasova to Nathalie Pechalat has transitioned from skating to media.

Ashley Wagner is intelligent, confident and articulate. A career in the media seems like a good fit given her expertise, abilities and personality. If she can get an opportunity like this, why shouldn't she take it?

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
@jenniferlyon, I visited your blog and noticed that you are an author. I, like many others think that Ashley should be in the media. I've seen other people who think that Adam, Jason, Tara & Johnny should be on a TV show. Why don't you pitch your soap opera, "The Strong and the Sequined" to icenetwork or Logo and have all of the people I've mentioned to appear on your soap? Because it's gonna be kind of campy, the acting doesn't have to be that good. It will be a nice artistic outlet for retired skaters, skating vloggers, coaches and you.

Carolla5501

@Dr.Siouxs TBH all I need right now is a TSL-style show with Gracie and Ashley (with Adam when he's not competing)

I somehow suspect they will be more realistic than the wanna be on TSL. I’m for anything that draws listeners away from that act.

Too bad NBC won’t replace the Sideshow. Maybe Ashley would be good at that

LarrySK8

Could this mean that USFS/USOC is monitoring Chen and Mirai - waiting to pull the plug and insert Ashley if anything happens - like practices going badly for Chen or Mirai?

berthesghost

Highly doubt it. They had the chance to prop her up at nats and instead chose to hold her down. They then had the chance to use the bow excuse to name her to the team and didn't. Why would they suddenly reverse their pro-karen&mirai stance now. Neither one is anywhere near consistant so bad practices pretty much mean nothing.

I think she'll be in Korea despite usfs not because of them.

RD

Is there something unusual about a skater working for some kind of media outlets? Everyone from Dick Button to Tatiana Tarasova to Nathalie Pechalat has transitioned from skating to media.

Ashley Wagner is intelligent, confident and articulate. A career in the media seems like a good fit given her expertise, abilities and personality. If she can get an opportunity like this, why shouldn't she take it?

Hey don’t get me wrong, I think the press may actually be a good fit for her given her persona. The timing of it all is curious to say the least, but she’s got the connections to make it happen if that’s what she really wants to do. Besides, I’m sure her sponsors (and NBC) would appreciate her presence there in whatever capacity. It’s a savvy move by her, keeps her profile up and temporarily increases her marketing value...

Specifically, I think she’d do best as an interviewer, she may actually ask interesting questions...I can also see her hosting light fluff pieces :D
As a commentator I think she’d appeal mostly to the TSL type crowd as opposed to mainstream, if her live tweets are any indication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information