AS A SKATER WOULD YOU EVER WANT TO BE ON TV?

FSWer

Ratings
Say, hyphophedically I was wondering if any Skater her would ever want a chance to be on TV.? I would love that chance. What about you all?

TheGirlCanSkate

Ratings
I'd LOVE my skater to be in a commercial that pays for her for being on the ice. A national spot that starts with Superbowl. I don't care if it is just doing swizzles and saying, I'd like a coke! :cheer2::summer:

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Ratings
I had the opportunity to skate in events that were televised when I was young. It was a lot of fun largely because I was skating with my friends, there were free snacks, and I got to meet some celebs. As long as it's a positive experience, sure why not.

antmanb

Ratings
I once let a friend film me skating and it absolutely crushed me for about a year in terms of how awful my actual skating was compared to how I feels in my head.

So decidedly no I would never want to be on TV skating.

Shyjosie

Ratings
I once let a friend film me skating and it absolutely crushed me for about a year in terms of how awful my actual skating was compared to how I feels in my head.

My thoughts exactly. After being to Oberstdorf this spring, I eagerly waited for the official vid to be uploaded on YT. When finally watching myself skate, my only concern was to tell my family to keep quiet about it. Absolutely embarrassing....
Although my result did exceed my expectations and I know that I can do better... but better not on TV ;)

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Ratings

FWIW, the discomfort you feel is a good reason to take these opportunities. When I started doing radio, I hated the way my voice sounded. But over time, I learned to become more comfortable with this, and used it as a tool to improve my on-air presence. There isn't a show that goes by where I don't relisten and take notes.

Same goes for skating. There are times when I think my leg is high/toe is pointed/etc, and the video or photograph confirms otherwise. I find the visual feedback to be helpful in making corrections, and to better align the mental/physical feeling of what I'm doing with the reality of what is happening.

antmanb

Ratings
@Theoreticalgirl I know that if used it as a tool it would help, but I only skate an hour a week, maybe an hour and half if I manage to get to the rink early because of light traffic. I am not going to make great changes in my skating with such limited training time, and the stark reality compared to the joy in my head is too off putting so I avoid being filmed wherever possible.

Though my coach did film me on her phone to show me how ridiculous my two footed loops are, because I actively have to drop my free leg out of the correct position to tap down and that takes more effort than leaving it where it is so it makes no sense to two foot it!! :rofl:

overedge

crying in the TSL bathroom
Ratings
I don't mind being filmed by my coach to see what I'm doing. Usually it's something wrong and it makes me cringe, but I can tolerate seeing it. But that's different from not wanting my skating to be shown on TV or online. I'm with @Shyjosie - my skating never looks as awesome as it felt when I was doing it :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)