Are the Olympics Too Broken to Fix?

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Some of the CBC commentators are in Tokyo and others are in Toronto. I know Swimming and Track and Field are in Tokyo and Gymnastics are in Toronto.

I think a lot of commentators across the networks are not there in Tokyo. The female commentator on the women's cycling road race - which Sportsnet broadcast, using the Olympic in-house feed - Tweeted a picture of her "commentary booth" which was her laptop at home in Australia.

Scott512

Not sure where to put this opinion piece, so I will put it here. It's not all or even mostly about Simone Biles :D.

Are the Olympics Too Broken to Fix?

The Olympics are specifically in the business of broadcasting, which accounts for 73 percent of the revenue that the International Olympic Committee receives. “The athletes, they’re not the priority,” said David Wallechinsky, a historian of the Games. “Television is the priority.”

The cost ends up being borne by ordinary people. “While the Olympics tend to bring out the very best in athletes, they also tend to bring out the very worst in host cities,” the political scientist Jules Boykoff told Teen Vogue. Forced evictions, suppression of free speech and protest against host-government mistreatment, worker abuse and arbitrary arrests have become common features of Olympic construction.

In recent years, the I.O.C. has also come under fire for awarding the Games to authoritarian hosts like Russia and China, with Beijing selected for 2022, its second time in 14 years. “The world seems to forget that China broke its promises related to the Beijing 2008 Olympics and is committing atrocities against the Uyghur and other Turkic communities in plain sight,” writes Rayhan Asat, whose brother is imprisoned in Xinjiang. “Despite touting ‘universality and solidarity’ as its principles, the I.O.C. refuses to stand in solidarity with those being denied their universal human rights.”
To answer your question yes.

Cachoo

Are they too broken to fix? Probably. Will I keep watching? Probably. I like what I saw on the track last time: It was the usual traditional powers with a refreshing influx of new talent from other countries. Money corrupts but this go around I thought the athletes saved the day.

mikey

...an acquired taste
Will I keep watching? Probably. I like what I saw on the track last time: It was the usual traditional powers with a refreshing influx of new talent from other countries. Money corrupts but this go around I thought the athletes saved the day.
Can't you get this from each sport's various championships? Or do you find it convenient to have a bunch of different sports all in one place? The Olympics, IMO, have become a complete waste, start to finish. Countries scramble to improve their infrastructure in order to host the games, and then much of it is often left behind to decay after the games. The games themselves are a made-for-TV spectacle, from the opening ceremony to the closing ceremony. No matter where the games are held, events are scheduled to be convenient for TV audiences in order to generate money. And I really do think that splitting the summer and winter games so that the Olympics happen every two years took away from of what made the Olympics special - now it feels like they are on TV all the time.

Cachoo

Can't you get this from each sport's various championships? Or do you find it convenient to have a bunch of different sports all in one place? The Olympics, IMO, have become a complete waste, start to finish. Countries scramble to improve their infrastructure in order to host the games, and then much of it is often left behind to decay after the games. The games themselves are a made-for-TV spectacle, from the opening ceremony to the closing ceremony. No matter where the games are held, events are scheduled to be convenient for TV audiences in order to generate money. And I really do think that splitting the summer and winter games so that the Olympics happen every two years took away from of what made the Olympics special - now it feels like they are on TV all the time.
Honestly I wouldn’t bother to seek so many sports out and usually only watch them during the Olympics. I find that part of the appeal of the games. Snow sports, swimming, athletics, archery, curling—you name it—I watch because it is part of this festival and has my interest for a short time. Also the Olympics are a chance for women to shine both individually and on teams. At least in the US male team sports are so dominant. At the Olympics my country’s women often take a front seat. I can’t argue with venue problems and the way money/tv has hurt the Olympics.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Can't you get this from each sport's various championships? Or do you find it convenient to have a bunch of different sports all in one place?
I find the Olympics is a way to discover new sports as well. And, if you actually attend, there is an atmosphere you don't get from individual sporting events. I don't think that comes across on tv.

manhn

I ended up watching way more of the Summer Games than I was expecting, I got sucked in. It of course helped that my country was doing quite well.

I am not going to feel guilty that I don’t follow sports outside of the Olympics. Who has time for that? I barely have the time to follow figure skating.

clairecloutier

I usually have no idea when other sports are having their championships or where I might actually be able to see them on cable/streaming. The Olympics brings all the sports together under one roof, so to speak, and makes them accessible.

The Olympics still seem very important to the athletes themselves.

Judy

I love the Olympics especially the winter (it helps evaporate two weeks of winter in Canada). By the end I am in sports overload though.

Overall, it is a great way to see a lot of different sports that you normally wouldn't.

Judy

Well certainly there have been some countries that have have left it to decay but most I think use it. The only Olympic city I have visited is Lake Placid and I've seen athletes training etc throughout the summer. Canada definitely uses their Olympic facilities. I'm not sure about Quebec. My niece works for Own the Podium and she said the biggest worry about the 2021 summer Olymmer Olympics was the postponement because there are contracts booked for years to use their facilities for sports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information