Any ideas how to get back into Canada from Detroit

jadingirl

Hi there,

My friend has a daughter who is currently in Detroit and he is trying to get her back into Canada. She is a Canadian citizen but her boyfriend is American so he cannot come over the border and I guess they aren't even allowed on the road right now in Michigan.

Does anyone have any advice. The best advice he has so far is that they need a police affidavit that they are allowed to be on the road so he can drive her to the border.

Just thought I would ask and see what ideas come up.

Thanks in advance
Lisa

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Hi there,

My friend has a daughter who is currently in Detroit and he is trying to get her back into Canada. She is a Canadian citizen but her boyfriend is American so he cannot come over the border and I guess they aren't even allowed on the road right now in Michigan.

Does anyone have any advice. The best advice he has so far is that they need a police affidavit that they are allowed to be on the road so he can drive her to the border.

Thanks in advance
Lisa
Has she called the Canadian consulate? If she gets a travel authorization, he can use it to get a transport authorization.

jadingirl

I believe they talked to the government already and she can get back in but he is not allowed to drive her to the border and she is not allowed to walk on whatever that bridge is as it is illegal to walk on the bridge.
They said he needs to bring all his papers with him etc proving he is American but he risks arrest if he drives her.
I suggested rent a car one way but the state is on lockdown (that's what my friend said) so they cannot just drive.
It seems to be a very strange situation.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Then the only options would be by air or to have another Canadian take her.

skategal

Bunny mama
Can she connect with an essential worker who travels back and forth regularly and get a ride that way?

Rafter

Hi there,

Thanks in advance
Lisa

Just out of curiosity, why did she not come back when the government told citizens to and before they closed the border?

jadingirl

She actually lives and goes to school in San Francisco and was out on auditions in Arizona when everything started happening.

She's an opera singer. I don't ask for more details like that since the main concern is her being safe - she is in her boyfriend's house right now so I would think he is normally in California with her and they drove to Michigan as soon as they could where his parent's are.

Anyhow there's lots of smart people on this board so I thought I would reach out and see if anyone had an ideas.

Skate Talker

So sorry, this is not going to be helpful but the news covered a story when the border was first closed to non-Canadian, non-essential visitors entering Canada. A Canadian was driven to the border by someone who was not eligible to enter. The man was allowed entry at the bridge but his wife was not allowed to cross the bridge to pick him up and he was forced to walk across it. I wonder if they have since figured out a means to get pedestrians across, especially if, as you say it isn't actually permitted to walk across.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Since she lives full time in the US, is staying where she is not an option?

vesperholly

It would be a hassle, but people can walk across the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls and enter either country. Not sure where she's trying to get to in Canada, though.

jadingirl

she's in Detroit and her family is in Toronto.

Anyways she is with her boyfriend's family now so she will have to stay with them.

THanks again for the responses.

skatingguy

Golden Team
she's in Detroit and her family is in Toronto.

Anyways she is with her boyfriend's family now so she will have to stay with them.

THanks again for the responses.
If she's got social media, and put out a plea for help for anyone traveling between Detroit & Windsor I'm sure she would be able to find a ride across the bridge. There are something like 1600 nurses going back & forth each day between those cities so surely someone could give her a ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information