Any chance of Rika Kihira running the entire quad out?

tripleflutz

Banned Member
There hasnt been a skater who ran out the entire quad (went unbeaten for the quad) since Carol Heiss in 57-60. That when the competition was signficantly depleted to what it is today. Even greats like Yu Na Kim, Midori Ito, Mao Asada, and Michelle Kwan couldnt, and in fact didnt even come close to ever doing it.

Could Rika be the one to sweep the quad for the first time in a long, that is win all the worlds (other than maybe skipping post Olympic worlds) and the 2022 Olympics?

tripleflutz

Banned Member
:lol: let the girl win Worlds this season for a start before predicting she is going to sweep the quad.

It was not a prediction, it was a question. If it were a prediction the thread would be entitled something like "Rika Kihira will sweep the quad" or "I boldy predict Rika will sweep the entire quad".

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
She'll have to contend with the three A's next year and Liu a couple years after that, and probably a lot of other up and comers that I'm forgetting right now. She's really good, and she's a fighter, but she's got her work cut out for her.

chantilly

The technical prowess in the upcoming ladies field reminds me of what happened in the menā€™s field the last quad. Pun not intended.šŸ˜œ.
I have a feeling itā€™s going to go back and forth and there will be implosions and triumphs abounding.

meer

She won't have as much tech advantage next year, which means she's going to have to be more consistent. This season is easy for the ladies compared to what they are getting into next year and the years to come. :scream:

giselle23

There hasnt been a skater who ran out the entire quad (went unbeaten for the quad) since Carol Heiss in 57-60. That when the competition was signficantly depleted to what it is today. Even greats like Yu Na Kim, Midori Ito, Mao Asada, and Michelle Kwan couldnt, and in fact didnt even come close to ever doing it.

Could Rika be the one to sweep the quad for the first time in a long, that is win all the worlds (other than maybe skipping post Olympic worlds) and the 2022 Olympics?

Scott Hamilton ran out the whole quad from 80-81 to 83-84.

ETA-I see others beat me to it!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Injuries happen. And, anyone who thinks Kihira will be the only skater with a 3A needs to think again. She may have had an advantage this season. That playing field will be leveled next season and beyond.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
There are quad-triple combo ladies waiting in the wings, and there will be more 3A ladies. It will be tough for Any skater to sweep this quad.

pollyanna

No kidding. So he won the 1981 - 1984 quad, which is what I originally posted. He won worlds in 1981, 1982, 1983, and 1984.

floskate

Vacant
Katarina Witt is the last skater to come closest; 1985 to 1988 with just one glaring loss to Debi Thomas at the 1986 Worlds. If you take into account 1982-83 - 1987-88 seasons she missed out on a medal entirely in Helsinki at 1983 Worlds due to biffing her figures and despite winning the SP and combined free skating and then won the silver behind Debi n Geneva in '86. Other than that she won EVERY competition she entered for 6 years. :eek: :kickass:

(Although some of those results are up for debate even now *cough1987NHKMidoriwuzrobbedcough*).

;)

Love Rika but it ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:

rhapsody

No and I'm glad she isn't even though I'm a huge fan of hers.

When someone dominates a sport for so long their wins become expected and boring. Think of Simone Biles--her AA win in Rio was nice but it wasn't thrilling or exciting at all. Even leading up to Pyeongchang, Medvedeva was facing serious backlash when the scores she was receiving were so high that her wins became inevitable. I don't think she will be on top for the entire quad and that's fine. Personally, I find it easier to root for a skater when they have ups and downs versus a skater who is always winning. It's like my favorite Mao--her devastating defeats and implosions made her triumphs all the more enjoyable.

VGThuy

Hell, in ice dance we haven't had that since Grishuk/Platov in 1995-1998 who were truly undefeated in an era where they started expanding the Fall season with the GPF. If it doesn't happen in ice dance anymore, what chance do single and pairs skater have to go undefeated for an entire four seasons, especially with two GP events, a GPF, Nationals, continental champions and Worlds not to mention some extra events and senior Bs and even World Team Trophies.

giselle23

No kidding. So he won the 1981 - 1984 quad, which is what I originally posted. He won worlds in 1981, 1982, 1983, and 1984.

Did you think I disagreed with you? I never even saw your post until after I posted. We are saying the same thing.

ETA: And the 1981-84 quad began in the Fall of 1980.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The standard of skating is so much higher than it was in 1981. There are so many internal and external variables to consider, too.

The chances of skating clean every performance, let alone every competition, will always be a challenge.

Having said this, ladies' skating is pretty exciting now, with so many of the athletes pushing their own technical limits.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I'm thinking about when quads will be allowed in SP in ladies' Sr field. The advantage of 3A is that skaters can do it in SP thanks to Mao's endeavor in the past. There are no consistent quad jumpers in Sr ladies field yet. They'll truly be able to enjoy the advantage of doing quads when quads are allowed in SP, i.e. Trusova/Shcherbakova can be easily beaten by Kostornaia in SP and Kostornaia even doesn't have any 3A. Will it be before Beijin? Or after? Maybe it will depend on how well Eteri's girls do quads next season in the Sr field. Thoughts?

Japanfan

There are quad-triple combo ladies waiting in the wings, and there will be more 3A ladies. It will be tough for Any skater to sweep this quad.

I sure do hope you are right, especially given the strength of Russian ladies.

The ladies field hasn't advanced as fast as the men's, presumably because they haven't had to. The 3A was just not necessary, but that appears to be changing and more women probably are training it and will be training it. It will make the ladiezzz less zzz.

zigzig

I'm a huge fan but there is NO chance of this happening. She's inconsistent and doesn't think on her feet to max points the way Russian girls do. Also the judges kinda hold her down and don't really seem to be enthused about her winning unless other girls make mistakes.

sharsk8s

Hell, in ice dance we haven't had that since Grishuk/Platov in 1995-1998 who were truly undefeated in an era where they started expanding the Fall season with the GPF. If it doesn't happen in ice dance anymore, what chance do single and pairs skater have to go undefeated for an entire four seasons, especially with two GP events, a GPF, Nationals, continental champions and Worlds not to mention some extra events and senior Bs and even World Team Trophies.
Yeah the only event were I see there possibly being someone who could run an entire quad out is ice dance. It is more predictable since there are less risks (jumps). They only people that I currently can see someone do it is p/c and that is even unlikely bc everyone wants some sort of rivalry going into the olympics

snoopy

To run the quad, do you have to win EVERY competition? Or just win all four worlds?

Japanfan

Yeah the only event were I see there possibly being someone who could run an entire quad out is ice dance. It is more predictable since there are less risks (jumps). They only people that I currently can see someone do it is p/c and that is even unlikely bc everyone wants some sort of rivalry going into the olympics

I fear that P/C will completely dominate the quad, making ice very boring and predictable - particularly since I'm not a P/C uber.

At present the only team who might potentially challenge them, SFAIK, is H/D. But I'm not closely following the ice dance field in Russia, so perhaps there is a Russian team on the up-and-up as well? B/S perhaps? I'm aware of the buzz about them and have probably seen them skate (on TV), but don't remember doing so.

Bonjour Sherry

This question is impossible to assess. It goes without saying that the 3A next year will pose serious competition. However, puberty is a real monster. My estimate is that 1-2 of the 3A will fizzle over the course of the quad (I'm afraid Shcherbakova is most likely to) due to puberty, but most likely 1-2 of them will remain competitive. That remains difficult for Rika to stay competitive the entire time.

However, Rika is working on quads, and her PCS will rise into the mid-70s if she can skate clean and continue to work on the second mark. She also has better jumping technique than the 3A (Kostornaia also has decent technique, but her lutz edge is not good and she doesn't have 'tricks' jump-wise).

I don't think Alysa Liu will be that competitive, I'm afraid. Her jump technique doesn't look fool-proof enough. She's fortunate to be 4'7" right now, but I'm not sure her technique is sustainable if/when she hits 5 feet and above.

tripleflutz

Banned Member
I'm assuming you mean female skater. The last skater, male or female, to run out a quad was Scott Hamilton 1981-1984.

Yeah I meant female singles skater, sorry I should have specified that part.

Kind of interesting though it happened much more realistically for men than women, when people generally think the mens event is deeper and more competition.

Witt would have done the sweep for not only 85-88 but 84-88 had she not missed her combo in the short at the 86 worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information