Anti-Semitism, anti-Zionism and anti-Christian incidents, reports, etc.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Neither am I. The joke was still gross and the colonizer quip you chose to share was obnoxious.
It was a bit OTT but how else do you describe when people take over land that someone else is living on. Especially now when the government says that “the right to exercise national self-determination” in Israel is “unique to the Jewish people.”

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
It was a bit OTT but how else do you describe when people take over land that someone else is living on. Especially now when the government says that “the right to exercise national self-determination” in Israel is “unique to the Jewish people.”
Israel was created by the United Nations, and Jews did live in Israel before its creation so it wasn't just "someone else's" land.

Israeli forces engaged in ethnic cleansing of Palestinian people after the creation of Israel and have occupied Palestinian territory illegally since 1967.

To me, calling Israel a colonizer denies the history of Zionism and of Israel and is anti-semitic, like the slogan "Zionism is racism." It is not necessary to accept these far left ideas in order to criticize Israel's treatment of Palestinians.

once_upon

I admit I did not see Che and Joest segment - I love that part of SNL - but is it wrong to assume that not all people are considered equal in Isreal? To me inequity is what was called out.

But I a) don't know the context that Che made the comment, b) don't know how vaccines have been distributed in Isreal and c) how much racial prejudice exists in Isreal for either Jews, Christians, Muslims, or proclaimed ethnic race.

I'm coming from the standpoint of a white Christian American who has rarely encountered any sort of discrimination. SNL has a reputation for pushing the edges and I know Che has talked about the racial prejudices he has experienced.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
If Israel were refusing vaccinations to Palestinians that would be discrimination and it wouldn't be a joke. Is this being alleged?

I've never heard of the person who made the joke, but it apparently was meant as a joke. And the joke was about Jews.

I think its fair to consider that some people found it offensive. For me, I can't make any sense out of how it was supposed to be a joke. :confused:

PRlady

Israel has not been vaccinating Palestinians in the occupied territories despite their obligation as an occupying power.

Arab Israeli citizens are being vaccinated as are non-Jewish migrant workers and refugees. Many Arabs and ultra-Orthodox are suspicious of and reject the vaccine.

As many Israelis pointed out, that joke would have been used without problem on a number of Israel’s own satire shows. Because it’s better to be Jewish in the Jewish state, d’uh. Tempest in teapot.

caseyedwards

Israel does not control the West Bank! That power belongs to the PLO. It’s under no obligation to go into West Bank run by the plo and give the people there the vaccine! It is not a state and it’s not controlled by Israel and its largely unrecognized. But that’s their problem! That’s their problem because of their official position to destroy Israel

MsZem

Israel has not been vaccinating Palestinians in the occupied territories despite their obligation as an occupying power.

Arab Israeli citizens are being vaccinated as are non-Jewish migrant workers and refugees. Many Arabs and ultra-Orthodox are suspicious of and reject the vaccine.
Also residents of East Jerusalem. And indeed, Arab/Palestinian citizens of Israel, many of whom do not like being called Arab Israeli (as I am sure you know...).

The Palestinian Authority has its own health system and is responsible under treaty for vaccinating its own population. They made their own procurement deals. Israel does not run the Palestinian health system, nor do they want it to. It is in Israel's interest for our neighbors to be vaccinated and I am all for facilitating smooth delivery and helping with logistics if they ask. But Israel's responsibility is first and foremost to its own citizens and legal residents. If it weren't possible for the PA to procure vaccines, that would be another matter. That's not the case.

The argument that Israel is in the wrong started when it became clear that our vaccine operation is more effective than that in other countries. Then the PA decided it, too, wanted a piece of the pie:
Ahmad Majdalani, the minister of social development, said the Palestinians did not publicly demand that Israel give them vaccines at first because they thought they would obtain what they needed through international donations, contacts with pharmaceutical companies and private discussions with Israeli officials.

When it became clear their strategy was not producing immediate results, Mr. Majdalani said they decided to start issuing statements demanding Israel fulfill its “international duty” by providing vaccines.
Source.

As many Israelis pointed out, that joke would have been used without problem on a number of Israel’s own satire shows. Because it’s better to be Jewish in the Jewish state, d’uh. Tempest in teapot.
Many Israelis at 972 Magazine, maybe.

A lot of people probably haven't come across this so they don't have an opinion one way or the other, but it's not funny (in that respect, it would certainly be a good fit for local satire shows). And while people can make fun of themselves, it's very different for a local to make such a joke vs. an outsider. Want to make a joke about Palestinians not getting vaccines while Israelis do? Say that Israel gave the PA 2000 doses, put up a graphic of that against the size of the population, add appropriate facial expression to make it funny with a bite. Problem solved!

There's certainly discrimination in Israel, but the suggestion that the country is discriminating against Arab citizens when it comes to vaccinations is disgusting. There have been people in this thread who seem to believe it. There are people who saw Michael Che's segment who believe this. Yet the only priorities here have been based on age and profession. So why is Che encouraging people to believe that eeeeeevil Jews are hoarding vaccines and putting others at risk? Is there not enough antisemitism already?

And @MacMadame - the appropriate response to someone pointing that out is not to call them a colonizer.

Last edited:

Debbie S

PRlady

Autopsies are refused by some Hasidic Jews who believe the body must remain whole for the combing of the Messiah. But organ donation is another matter.

Vagabond

Noted.

You are correct that people think that Israel is not vaccinating non-Jews. I am happy to hear that they are.
While we are at it, I hope that you see the irony in this:
Not only is Israel vaccinating non-Jews, they are in effect vaccinating people in a country that is still technically at war with them.

caseyedwards

TBH sometimes I come across comments that make me wonder if people realize that Israel has a sizable portion of non-Jewish citizens. The population is over 20% Arab, and of those around 85% are Muslim. We actually have Sharia law here! Though not for everyone, of course.

Israel is imperfect in many ways. Just not necessarily the ones people think of.
They think Jewish state means no non Jews allowed! It just means Israel will not allow the demographics to turn against Jewish majority. That’s why right of return is nonstarter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information