Anti-Semitism, anti-Zionism and anti-Christian incidents, reports, etc.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
How anti-Semitic beliefs have quietly taken hold among some evangelical Christians (Washington Post)

This article looks at how some evangelicals are being exposed to and adopting anti-semitic views along with their pro-Trump views. I find the discussion here of people going on YouTube and finding anti-semitic messages that include other conservative messages people are already favorable to very troubling.

In churches across America, evangelicals say they don’t believe they can get unbiased facts from any traditional news outlet that Trump has branded “fake news” (though many are fans of Fox News). They watch TV networks other than Fox and read major news websites but don’t trust them. Instead, they seek news from alternative websites and YouTube videos in which fiery pastors decry Jewish influence.

...“Some associations in certain conservative areas, with Jews being liberal, cosmopolitan, international and that being a threat to American Christian identity: You’re going to find those views, weirdly, right alongside expressing support for Israel,” Hummel said. “Someone like that would be vaguely or even strongly anti-Semitic but also pro-Israel.”

Deborah Lipstadt, a historian who is one of the foremost researchers on anti-Semitism, said she has noticed that politically conservative talking points echo the language common to anti-Semites much more often. She pointed to Sen. Josh Hawley’s (R-Mo.) speech at the National Conservatism Conference, in which he used the word “cosmopolitan” 12 times.

“This class lives in the United States, but they identify as ‘citizens of the world.’ They run businesses or oversee universities here, but their primary loyalty is to the global community,” Hawley said, referring not to Jews but to liberal elites.

“I’m sure most of the people who appeared there would say, ‘I’m a good friend of Jews,’ and they probably are,” Lipstadt said. “But if you took out the word ‘cosmopolitan’ and put in the word ‘Jew’ — it sounds like a traditional anti-Semitic trope … It’s the kind of thing that will attract the anti-Semites.”

PRlady

Nerdy flack
I went to a pre-conference program on antisemitism at our annual meeting. One speaker was from London, an ex-official of Labour. He was very convincing about the antisemitism on the left in the U.K. I still think the growing danger in the US is on the right, although there are elements on the far left that are dangerous as well.

By which I do not mean congresswomen with a Palestinian narrative.

Japanfan

One of the things I find most disturbing about posts like this one is that there seems to be no recognition at all that Israel is illegally occupying Palestine.
Look at the thread title.

If you want to discuss the Israel-Palestine conflict, you can start a new thread. There have been long discussions about in on this board in the past, and Palestinian perspective has always been well-represented.

Ania

Well, this is a new one and quite terrifying: Federal judges received a link to an anti-Semitic blog post. It came from the Justice Department.

Excerpts for those without a subscription: "... tucked between stories from The Washington Post and a public radio station, the briefing included a summary of and a link to a blog post from what the Southern Poverty Law Center has designated a “Hate Group”: Vdare.com, a frequent platform for white nationalists espousing anti-Semitic and anti-immigration rhetoric.

The Vdare post singles out immigration judges by name, uses their photos and refers to them with an anti-Semitic slur. The Justice Department sends the briefings to all EOIR employees, including its 400-some immigration judges, which means the judges named and pictured in the derogatory post also received the link to it this week — from their employer.

The briefing was circulated the same week as President Trump faced accusations of anti-Semitism for asserting that Jewish people who vote for Democrats show “great disloyalty” and for praising Henry Ford, a virulent anti-Semite. It also comes as the Justice Department moves to possibly decertify the union that represents federal immigration judges, which could silence a group critical of some of the administration’s immigration policies.
Monday was far from the first time the office’s daily briefing has included questionable content, said immigration attorney Matthew Hoppock, who writes about the EOIR and has researched the office’s morning newsletter. ... He said he was appalled at how many stories from right-wing websites the Daily Caller and Breitbart News were included.
“The substance is really gross,” Hoppock said in an interview. “Sometimes they link to The Washington Post or BuzzFeed, but a lot of times it’s just nonsense. It feels like propaganda. It feels like they’re being given an agenda, when they’re supposed to be neutral.”

Domshabfan

Lady Hale's Brooch
Look at the thread title.

If you want to discuss the Israel-Palestine conflict, you can start a new thread. There have been long discussions about in on this board in the past, and Palestinian perspective has always been well-represented.
Look, when pro-Palestinian politicians like Tlaib is accused of anti-semitism , then others will object to the point and raise subject connected to the crisis. If you don’t want to discuss Palestinian view point, then stop bringing people like Tlaib into the discussion, or you can start a new thread yourself to discuss this.

Zemgirl

Look, when pro-Palestinian politicians like Tlaib is accused of anti-semitism , then others will object to the point and raise subject connected to the crisis. If you don’t want to discuss Palestinian view point, then stop bringing people like Tlaib into the discussion, or you can start a new thread yourself to discuss this.
If Tlaib or any other politician makes or shares antisemitic statements, they are fair game for this thread. I am not interested in how Jews have it coming because [insert pet reason here] or how someone isn't antisemitic, they're just anti-Zionist. Anti-Zionist = believing that Jews should not be allowed a national home. Thanks but no thanks.

Want to discuss the I/P conflict and/or the Palestinian perspective? Cool. Do it in a different thread.

Japanfan

If you don’t want to discuss Palestinian view point, then stop bringing people like Tlaib into the discussion, or you can start a new thread yourself to discuss this.
I did not bring Tlaib into the discussion. In fact, I did not even know who she was until I read the more posts on this thread.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I went to a pre-conference program on antisemitism at our annual meeting. One speaker was from London, an ex-official of Labour. He was very convincing about the antisemitism on the left in the U.K. I still think the growing danger in the US is on the right, although there are elements on the far left that are dangerous as well.

By which I do not mean congresswomen with a Palestinian narrative.
I don't really get the which is worse left or right competition here. It seems pretty clear there are dangers of anti-semitism and some are associated with the left and some with the right. They are quite different as well. Currently the problems on the left stem from spreading anti-semitic attitudes and impacting Jewish scholars and students particularly in academia, at least in the US, whereas the rightwing anti-semitism is white nationalist and inspiring violence.

I don't think we have to ignore one in order to be concerned about the other. Both matter. I mean it does seem like the white nationalist hate is an immediate violent threat giving the shootings and the situation on the left is different but it doesn't have to be that if people concern themselves with the left they have to act like that's the real threat, even if we do see a lot of that for what reasons I can't fathom.

Japanfan

FSU's PI is pretty much 30+ people, mostly liberals and few self-hating jews.... it's hardly even a "micro-group" to base world trends on or use for an "opinion check". it's for fun only, if you find it "fun"... :lol:
Could you explain further what you mean by 'self-hating Jews'?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Two people have been killed in an anti-semitic attack near a Synagogue in Germany. :(

Shooting near synagogue in Germany leaves at least two people dead, police say

A gunman killed two people outside a synagogue in the eastern German city of Halle on Wednesday, apparently filming his attack on a head-mounted camera in a method that had chilling echoes of a far-right attack on two New Zealand mosques earlier this year.

In the video footage, a suspect calling himself “Anon” says the Holocaust did not happen and lists what he sees the world’s problems, including feminism.

“The root of all these problems is the Jew,” he says, in a clip shared by the International Center for the Study of Radicalization. The complete video lasts more than half an hour, according to the London-based think tank.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
More on the attack in Germany and it is chilling:

The man who attacked a synagogue in Germany and killed two people was a right-wing extremist with a clear anti-Semitic motive and hoped to encourage others to follow his lead, authorities announced Thursday.

Authorities confirmed the attack, which the perpetrator live-streamed, was a terrorist incident amid mounting questions over the safety of the Jewish community in Germany and why authorities were unable to prevent or stop it.
Synagogue attacker hoped to inspire further anti-Semitic attacks say German authorities

allezfred

Baby Jolly Man Face
Staff member
The Alt-shite hate Jewish people as much as they hate Muslims and this is just a taste of things to come. There is anti-semitism on the left for sure, but those people are not the ones going out, buying guns and shooting at synagogues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)