Anti-Semitism, anti-Zionism and anti-Christian incidents, reports, etc.

PRlady

Nerdy flack
Is it anti-semitic? The article noted that critics think it is saying the "Jews control the media."
I haven’t seen it. DH’s colleague said it was propaganda but not anti Semitic, nowhere did it indicate that the MSM is pro-Israel because there are a lot of Jews in media. (Which there are, it’s just a fact, like the fact that there are very few in the oil business.)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I haven’t seen it. DH’s colleague said it was propaganda but not anti Semitic, nowhere did it indicate that the MSM is pro-Israel because there are a lot of Jews in media. (Which there are, it’s just a fact, like the fact that there are very few in the oil business.)
I think the MSM in the US is generally pro-Israel, mostly because US policy has been pro-Israel. Its not very complicated. I think it is sometimes biased against Palestinians because of that. But I can imagine such a film would take this all to an extreme.

PRlady

Nerdy flack
I read an email yesterday from a lady in Alabama in which she notes that in her town, there are several Jewish families who have been there for generations and are well-known and respected in the community. She also noted that no one in her town, to her knowledge, had ever met a Palestinian.

This is true of most Americans. You can’t understand what you’ve never seen or heard.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I read an email yesterday from a lady in Alabama in which she notes that in her town, there are several Jewish families who have been there for generations and are well-known and respected in the community. She also noted that no one in her town, to her knowledge, had ever met a Palestinian.

This is true of most Americans. You can’t understand what you’ve never seen or heard.
When I was in college in SW Virginia my friends had never met a Jewish person. Granted that was a long time ago, but I'm willing to bet this is still true of a lot of Americans. But even fewer have met Palestinians to be sure.

My guess is most Americans don't care much about Israel/Palestine. They may know that Israel is an important US ally in the middle east and generally support it because of that.

PRlady

Nerdy flack
When I was in college in SW Virginia my friends had never met a Jewish person. Granted that was a long time ago, but I'm willing to bet this is still true of a lot of Americans. But even fewer have met Palestinians to be sure.

My guess is most Americans don't care much about Israel/Palestine. They may know that Israel is an important US ally in the middle east and generally support it because of that.
Except for evangelicals. There it’s part of the creed, like being anti-choice. Bibi has even said that it doesn’t matter if liberal Jews pull back on support for Israel, the evangelicals are his important US constituency.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Except for evangelicals. There it’s part of the creed, like being anti-choice. Bibi has even said that it doesn’t matter if liberal Jews pull back on support for Israel, the evangelicals are his important US constituency.
What they support isn't exactly Israel. Its a certain politics and a certain Christian vision. They may be Bibi's friends, but they aren't Israel's and they aren't really respectful of Jews either.

Zemgirl

מצא מין את מינו.

The sad thing about Bibi is that he's not incapable, but his only goal these days seems to be survival, and his wife and son are a terrible influence on him.

Japanfan

Don't know about the US, but would say that Canadians know more about/care more about Israel/Palestine than other international issues, such as human rights abuses in Eritrea or injustices committed against women. I often see notices for pro-Palestinian rallies on the university campuses here - don't recall ever seeing a notice for a pro-Eritrean rally.

The pro-Palestinian perspective seems to the norm for left-leaning circles here.

I have a friend who constantly post pro-Palestinian/anti-Israeli stuff on Facebook. And then my BIL, a Zionist, posts pro-Israeli/anti-Palestinian stuff.

Between the two of them I might get a balanced perspective. But I find the both of them rather tedious in their insistence that they are 'right'.

VGThuy

When I interned at the Legal Aid Society, there is a huge email server that all employees are on and one time it got dirty between some pro-Palestine/anti-Israel and pro-Israel employees. Management had to step in and respectfully state that that was not the proper forum for that debate and that people need to be respectful of other people.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
And the rape case gone orgy in Cyprus will become an antisemitism in 3...2....1....

PRlady

Nerdy flack
@TAHbKA is being sardonic. In that to this government anything that any Israeli is accused of must be antisemitism. :rolleyes: as it happens, the guys were released and the woman apparently made up the gangbang part.

Zemgirl

Yes, apparently they were just garden variety teenage jerks, which is not against the law. Unfortunately this kind of case tends to stick in people's minds and makes things more difficult for real survivors who come forward.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Here’s Seth Mandel, one of the most conservative Jewish journalists in the US, editor of the Washington Examiner, former oped editor of the NY Post, agreeing that the violent danger in America is on the right. I’m waiting for the OP and others in this thread to agree.

Now you're just trying to distract us from the real issues! Barack Obama invoked the Holocaust today, he's disrespecting the Jewish people!

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
I was not sure where to post this, but there is now legal precedent to collect from on line websites that harass you for hate related reasons. In this case, the victim was an African American student, but there is no reason that case could not be used for anti Semitic harassment cases as well.

Btw, two things not in the report

The legal group doing this is DC based, and last I knew, was funded by the George Soros foundation.

And the lawyer talking about the case is a close friend's daughter. I thrilled about this result for many reasons.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Jewish protesters were hit when a truck was driven into them while they were protesting at an ICE detention center. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt.

A truck drove into ICE protesters outside a private prison. They say a guard was at the wheel. (Washington Post)

The protesters were sitting on the pavement to block staff from parking at a Rhode Island prison that works with Immigration and Customs Enforcement when a black pickup truck swerved toward them. The protesters shouted as the driver laid on the horn, and the truck briefly stopped.

And then, the driver hit the gas.

In a viral video captured by bystanders, the protesters screamed and jumped out of the way. Several were struck, according to organizers of the Wednesday night demonstration at the Wyatt Detention Facility in Central Falls, R.I. Some were treated at a hospital, though none were severely injured.

“It was terrifying because we didn’t know what exactly his intention was,” Amy Anthony, a spokesman for Never Again Action, a Jewish activist group that planned the protest, told The Washington Post. “It certainly appeared he was trying to hit us.”

Debbie S

The Omar/Tlaib trip and controversy have already been discussed in the Trump thread, so I don't want to bring that here, but here is some info on the organizations who were funding the trip and their anti-Semitic and terrorist activities.

Twitter thread by Seth Mandel, who PRlady referenced upthread (and he does say Israel should have allowed the trip): https://twitter.com/SethAMandel/status/1162083691797123072

Palestinian groups behind Omar-Tlaib canceled trip express anti-Semitism, links to terrorism

According to NGO Monitor, Miftah’s publications use highly politicized language, accusing Israel of “massacres,” “apartheid,” “summary executions” of Palestinian youth and “Judaizing” Jerusalem. .....

Miftah’s website also praises Wafa Idress, a female suicide-bomber who killed an 81-year-old Israeli and wounded 150 others in January 2002 as part of the “resistance movement.” In 2013, Miftah apologized for an article on its website using a blood libel and accusing Jews of using “the blood of Christians in the Jewish Passover.”

Similarly problematic, DCI-P, which is the Palestinian branch of the Geneva-based that says its mission is to “promote and protect the rights of Palestinian children,” has ties to the Popular Front of the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), which has been designated as a terror group by the United States, European Union, Canada and Israel.

“DCI-P leads the campaign exploiting children to promote demonization of Israel and is linked to the PFLP terror group. Many of its allegations are false and part of attempts to smear Israel with allegations of “war crimes” and promote BDS,” said NGO Monitor.
I'm also told that Miftah's website contains an essay by a neo-Nazi group about how Jews control the media, but I haven't had the stomach to go look for myself.

JanetB

The Omar/Tlaib trip and controversy have already been discussed in the Trump thread, so I don't want to bring that here, but here is some info on the organizations who were funding the trip and their anti-Semitic and terrorist activities.

Twitter thread by Seth Mandel, who PRlady referenced upthread (and he does say Israel should have allowed the trip): https://twitter.com/SethAMandel/status/1162083691797123072

Palestinian groups behind Omar-Tlaib canceled trip express anti-Semitism, links to terrorism

I'm also told that Miftah's website contains an essay by a neo-Nazi group about how Jews control the media, but I haven't had the stomach to go look for myself.
One of the things I find most disturbing about posts like this one is that there seems to be no recognition at all that Israel is illegally occupying Palestine. That as a part of that occupation that more Palestinian children have been killed by Israelis than Israelis have been killed by Palestinians since the start of the second intifada. That Israel is guilty of various war crimes and crimes against humanity, yet for many, it seems to be a greater crime for Palestinians to say bad things about Jews than for it is for Israel to kill, maim, steal, torture and ethnically cleanses Palestinian. Anti-Palestinianism is hatred towards or prejudices against Palestinians for being Palestinians.

Manifestations of Anti-Palestinianism might include the denial of Palestinian rights to a state of Palestine as recognized by over 135 member countries of the United Nations. It frequently charges Palestinians with conspiring to harm humanity, and it is often used to blame Palestinians for “why things go wrong.” It is expressed in speech, writing, visual forms and action, and may employ sinister stereotypes and negative character traits.

‘Anti-Palestinianism’: Why we should start using this term

Contemporary examples of anti-Palestinianism in public life, the media, schools, the workplace, and in the religious sphere could, taking into account the overall context, include, but are not limited to:

1. Denying the Palestinian people their right to self-determination and nationhood, or actively conspiring to prevent the exercise of this right.

2. Denial that Israel is in breach of international law in its continued Blockade of Gaza, and the Occupation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

3. Denial that Israel is an apartheid state (if one includes East Jerusalem or the West Bank as part of Israel Proper) according to the definition of the International Convention on Apartheid.

4. Denial of the expulsion of approximately 750,000 Palestinians during the 1948 Nakba.

PRlady

Nerdy flack

Debbie, there’s no reason you should know this since NGO Monitor pretends to be an objective analyst. They have blacklisted every single Israeli human rights group (and of course the Palestinian ones) and are an arm of the Netanyahu government. I’m personally not familiar with Miftah but NGOM is as objective a source as Breitbart.

I’m too tired to get onto the whole latest controversy but here’s s good explanation of why Tlaib couldn’t go: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-israel-presented-tlaib-with-a-cruel-dilemma-her-principles-or-her-family-1.7690400

Debbie S

Debbie, there’s no reason you should know this since NGO Monitor pretends to be an objective analyst. They have blacklisted every single Israeli human rights group (and of course the Palestinian ones) and are an arm of the Netanyahu government. I’m personally not familiar with Miftah but NGOM is as objective a source as Breitbart.

I’m too tired to get onto the whole latest controversy but here’s s good explanation of why Tlaib couldn’t go: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-israel-presented-tlaib-with-a-cruel-dilemma-her-principles-or-her-family-1.7690400
As I posted, I wasn't trying to restart discussion of the actual trip controversy. I posted the info about the funders since I'd seen that in multiple articles (I just pulled that one, but there are others if you Google, and you previously posted a Twitter thread by Seth Mandel, so I assume he's not objectionable).

PRlady

Nerdy flack
As I posted, I wasn't trying to restart discussion of the actual trip controversy. I posted the info about the funders since I'd seen that in multiple articles (I just pulled that one, but there are others if you Google, and you previously posted a Twitter thread by Seth Mandel, so I assume he's not objectionable).
Seth is right-wing, as he would proudly admit, but not a wingnut. He’s really wrong in the current tussle about David Friedman but other times I think he’s right. So no, I don’t think he’s anymore an unreliable source than I am. And his wife amuses me, she’s a convert who proves the conventional wisdom all the time.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Brezina's Nemesis

As you know, by the Israeli standards I'm a lefty, but seriously, screw those guys.

I don't think it's a right policy in general to deny entrance to Israel/Palestine due to political views, whatever they are; but the law exists, and it makes sense not to promote BDS if you plan to play a role in the conflict. And Taib's crocodile tears make me puke. "Awww awww my granny, booo hooo, but I won't go because if I can't make a political circus out of the visit I don't want it, bad, bad Israel". What an appalling creature.
:mad:

skatingguy

Golden Team
And Taib's crocodile tears make me puke. "Awww awww my granny, booo hooo, but I won't go because if I can't make a political circus out of the visit I don't want it, bad, bad Israel". What an appalling creature.
:mad:
Her visiting her grandmother now would be ten times the circus that a routine Congressional junket to Israel would have been. If she was looking for the publicity then she would have gone, and every world media organization would have followed every move, and would have showed the daily lives of Palestinians from a very different perspective than most people see. She's passing up a political opportunity by not going.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Jennifer Rubin on Trump's antisemitism:

Trump shows us again what he thinks of Jews (Washington Post)

...[His statement about Jewish people being disloyal if they vote for Democrats]
tells us what we need to know about Trump — in case his refusal during the campaign to condemn outright David Duke, his reference in a speech to a group of American Jewish Republicans that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was “your prime minister,” his statement that there were “very fine” people among neo-Nazi marchers chanting “Jews will not replace us!” and his white nationalist lingo (not to mention his slanderous accusations that the Democratic Party is anti-Israel and anti-Semitic) were not enough to tell you what he actually thinks of Jews.
Trump’s indulgence of Israel stems not from any love of the Jewish people, but from a desire to help a kindred nationalist leader and an even greater desire to thrill his evangelical followers. If he damages U.S.-Israel relations in the process or earns the scorn of American Jewish groups for imploring Israel not to admit Tlaib and Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) into the country, or neglects his oath of office, it’s of no concern.

...In the request for Israel to ban two U.S. congresswomen, Trump was willing to use the Jewish state as a battering ram to advance his own brand of nationalism, Islamophobia and racism. (Recall that he told the two nonwhite congresswomen to “go back” to where they came from.) Only Trump sycophants think he was publicly pressuring Netanyahu to advance the cause of Jews either here or in Israel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)