Anti-Semitism, anti-Zionism and anti-Christian incidents, reports, etc.

PRlady

Gutting it out
Ratings
The cartoon is horrific and the campuses are problematic. But if you want to find dead Jews in the US, they are synagogue-goers shot by white supremacists. Who, in this case, is also accused of arson at a mosque.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Ratings
But if you want to find dead Jews in the US, they are synagogue-goers shot by white supremacists
Unless you don’t count 9/11, Orlando, and San Bernadino.

Many local synagogues have had weapons detectors and security detail as long as I remember. Every trunk of a car is searched prior to parking at JCCSF. Time for all synagogues and community centers to get these.

Debbie S

Ratings
The cartoon is horrific and the campuses are problematic. But if you want to find dead Jews in the US, they are synagogue-goers shot by white supremacists. Who, in this case, is also accused of arson at a mosque.
I think an environment where Jews have 'eviction notices' taped to their doors and face verbal harassment and physical threats and where those around them spend 4 years observing this behavior being sanctioned and justified needs a stronger word than "problematic". It's really not just a campus issue - those college students will be moving on eventually and joining the 'real world'. I wouldn't expect their opinions and behavior to change magically once they leave campus.

Anti-Semitism exists on both the right and the left - I don't think we need to debate which is worse. They both are. And there is plenty of rhetoric and activity to embolden anti-Semites at both ends of the spectrum.

It appears that the shooter was actually not a Trump supporter. Trump is not hateful enough for him: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ed-online-under-name-chabad-synagogue-n999211

The shooter claims in the Q-and-A section to eschew political ideology, saying he does not support Donald Trump because of his support for Israel. The writer also complains that conservatives aren't violent enough in support of their politics.

Zemgirl

Ratings
Unless you don’t count 9/11, Orlando, and San Bernadino.
None of those were specifically directed at Jewish people.

It seems clear that at the moment, murderous attacks against Jews and Muslims in the US are being perpetrated by white supremacists. But different parties are responsible for antisemitic violence in other countries.

PRlady

Gutting it out
Ratings
If people deny the psychological links between the Christchurch killing of Muslims, the revenge bombings of Christians in Sri Lanka, and the shootings of Jews in US synagogues, their perspectives are too narrow. There’s more to this than left and right, there’s a growing sense that violence is the best route for ensuring the survival of one’s own group, fostered by the Internet and subtly egged on by the political environment.

Susan1

Ratings
And the first thing I thought of (sorry) is how they've been having weekly meetings in Dayton, Ohio about the KKK rally that will be here the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. They can't stop it. They are planning lots of security and peace rallies. I think EVERYONE should just stay away from downtown Dayton. No peaceful protesters, no news coverage, close all the restaurants and whatever stores are left, no bus service, nothing at Dragons field or the Schuster Center or the Riverfront parks. Period. They want the coverage and controversy. Don't give it to them. Open everything back up for Sunday and Monday holiday fun.

IceAlisa

Ratings
They weren't killed because they were Jewish though. They were killed because they were Americans and/or LGBTQ.
And that matters how? Statistically speaking, if an American Jew were to die in a terrorist attack, they would more likely die in this situation because of the sheer scale

IceAlisa

Ratings
Because the point here is people being targeted for their identities. Orlando was anti-gay, not antisemitic.
The outcome is still the same when you talk about number one terrorist threat to the lives of the American Jews.
But you know, some people did something. It doesn’t count. Btw, cartoons like the one in the NYT can only inspire the budding terrorist, no matter their religion, don’t you think?

Perhaps another threat are media outlets like that.

Oh and goodness forbid anyone thinks that I would want the NYT shut down or to deny them the right to publish the cartoon.

Last edited:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Ratings
Again, I don’t understand why it matters
Antisemitism is a nefarious thing that we as a culture/society seem to be getting lax on, and that needs to stop.

What you're doing right here is muddying the waters, and I don't see how you're helping any point, let alone making one.

IceAlisa

Ratings
Antisemitism is a nefarious thing that we as a culture/society seem to be getting lax on, and that needs to stop.

What you're doing right here is muddying the waters, and I don't see how you're helping any point, let alone making one.
I feel that those who say the biggest threat to American Jews are white supremacists, are muddying the waters.

Antisemitism is becoming normalized by many in charge of higher education and press. That worries me more.

PRlady

Gutting it out
Ratings
As I’ve posted before, according to the ADL which has been compiling these stats for decades, 73% of extremist killings in the US over the last ten years were committed by right-wing extremists including white supremacists. That’s the group whose social media postings overlap so much with that of the GOP that Twitter can’t ban the former because they’ll end up banning too much of the latter, according to Twitter itself.

I’m certainly scared of crazed jihadis but living in the US, I’m a lot more scared of racist white gus with assault rifles.

And incidentally the cartoon was awful but the point, that a stupid Trump is being led by the nose by a smart Netanyahu, is BRAGGED about publicly in right-wing Israeli political circles. In Hebrew, of course.

ballettmaus

Ratings
I feel that those who say the biggest threat to American Jews are white supremacists, are muddying the waters.
Is that why you referred to non-antisemtic attacks committed by Muslims?

Again, I don’t understand why it matters
To me, at least, your comment made attacks that were committed against Americans about Jews. I think that is as wrong as if someone tried to make the shooting yesterday about Americans.
Like Andora said, it doesn't help and I believe that is where (some of) Omar's criticism comes from.

As far as the NYT cartoon is concerned, there is no question that it's absolutely tasteless and horrific. But I haven't been a fan of the NYT for a few years now. They need a leadership change asap (and truly apologize for a this cartoon and a few other things)!

IceAlisa

Ratings
As I’ve posted before, according to the ADL which has been compiling these stats for decades, 73% of extremist killings in the US over the last ten years were committed by right-wing extremists including white supremacists. That’s the group whose social media postings overlap so much with that of the GOP that Twitter can’t ban the former because they’ll end up banning too much of the latter, according to Twitter itself.

I’m certainly scared of crazed jihadis but living in the US, I’m a lot more scared of racist white gus with assault rifles.

And incidentally the cartoon was awful but the point, that a stupid Trump is being led by the nose by a smart Netanyahu, is BRAGGED about publicly in right-wing Israeli political circles. In Hebrew, of course.
Thanks, I totally missed THE POINT of that cartoon. :rolleyes: I can’t take you seriously, seriously.

And we’ve discussed those stats before.

PRlady

Gutting it out
Ratings
One more thing. I’m not denying that there’s a strain of violent anti-Israel rhetoric on some campuses. I work for an academic association whose members are generally to the left of me on Israel (and everything else.) The J Strret U kids are the only option between right-wing Israeli PR and Students for Justice in Palestine and that’s not good, because non-Jewish kids just passively absorb the extremes without finding middle options. It is an issue.

Debbie S

Ratings
One more thing. I’m not denying that there’s a strain of violent anti-Israel Semitic rhetoric on some campuses.
Fixed that. Because taping an "eviction notice" to the doors of Jewish students, screaming at them in the cafeteria and elsewhere on campus that he/she hope they die in a suicide bombing, with these activities not only blessed by but funded by college admin, is not just about Israel. Most Jewish students on campus are Americans, not Israeli, and many have probably never even been to Israel, much less live there and have any say in who/what happens with the gov't. Anti-Zionism is the politically correct outlet for anti-Semitism. College presidents (and students) would never tolerate neo-Nazis rallying on campus (not without speaking out against it and holding teach-ins and similar activities to protest) and they sure wouldn't fund a neo-Nazi student group to engage in those activities. There would be outrage. But mention Israel and the Palestinians (and most SJP members are not Arab or even Muslim) and any behavior is just fine.

On the bright side, a friend reports that her daughter is feeling very comfortable, as both a Zionist and a Jew, at the U of Rochester. They investigated the climate and sentiment toward Jews and Israel at each college she considered. So the civil and middle-ground schools are out there (my alma mater is not one of them, which is why I've stopped giving them money), it just takes effort to find them.

a stupid Trump is being led by the nose by a smart Netanyahu
But the cartoon didn't depict Netanyahu as "smart", it depicted him as a dog, standard anti-Semitic imagery going back to the Nazi era and beyond.

Last edited:

PRlady

Gutting it out
Ratings
Fixed that. Because taping an "eviction notice" to the doors of Jewish students, screaming at them in the cafeteria and elsewhere on campus that he/she hope they die in a suicide bombing, with these activities not only blessed by but funded by college admin, is not just about Israel. Most Jewish students on campus are Americans, not Israeli, and many have probably never even been to Israel, much less live there and have any say in who/what happens with the gov't. Anti-Zionism is the politically correct outlet for anti-Semitism. College presidents (and students) would never tolerate neo-Nazis rallying on campus (not without speaking out against it and holding teach-ins and similar activities to protest) and they sure wouldn't fund a neo-Nazi student group to engage in those activities. There would be outrage. But mention Israel and the Palestinians (and most SJP members are not Arab or even Muslim) and any behavior is just fine.

On the bright side, a friend reports that her daughter is feeling very comfortable, as both a Zionist and a Jew, at the U of Rochester. They investigated the climate and sentiment toward Jews and Israel at each college she considered. So the civil and middle-ground schools are out there (my alma mater is not one of them, which is why I've stopped giving them money), it just takes effort to find them.

But the cartoon didn't depict Netanyahu as "smart", it depicted him as a dog, standard anti-Semitic imagery going back to the Nazi era and beyond.
A seeing eye dog leading a blind man! Some dope at the international edition of the NYT uploaded a Portuguese cartoon without checking with anyone (although he shouldn’t have had to.). It’s offensive, no argument.

Is your college on this (ridiculously anecdotal) list? https://www.algemeiner.com/the-40-worst-colleges-for-jewish-students-2017/. I am :rofl: at the idea that Jews should avoid NYU, Columbia, u of Chicago, Stanford and pretty much every Canadian university for reasons of antisemitism. But that’s what this website and the Washington Examiner et al peddle.

OR you could go by This well-researched conclusions of this in-depth report from Brandeis university, the first conclusion of which is that “Jewish students are rarely exposed to antisemitism on campus.”

Debbie S

Ratings
Some dope at the international edition of the NYT uploaded a Portuguese cartoon without checking with anyone (although he shouldn’t have had to.)
As a once (in a former life) journalist, I can confirm that all newspapers, even the smallest ones, have an editorial review process, for everything. The larger the paper, usually the more people involved. If the NYT is allowing cartoons to be printed without any review, they need some new editors.

Is your college on this (ridiculously anecdotal) list?
No, but my college probably isn't large enough (and with enough of a Jewish population) to draw attention from a national pub. Looking through the list quickly, I'm not surprised by most of the inclusions. And based on the Tablet article I linked upthread, I don't think I'd want to attend Columbia (or Barnard) either.

OR you could go by This well-researched conclusions of this in-depth report from Brandeis university, the first conclusion of which is that “Jewish students are rarely exposed to antisemitism on campus.”
That study only looked at 4 schools, one of which was Brandeis, all of which have relatively large Jewish populations. I would suggest that its conclusions are a bit limited. Plus, it's now 2 years old. Obviously, any college applicant needs to do their own research, talk to as many people as they can on any particular campus, spend time there, etc. What will be comfortable for one student might not be so for another. It's up to students and parents to decide what school is best for them (based on many factors).

Last edited:

PRlady

Gutting it out
Ratings
Tablet has a point of view, too. It’s no more neutral than the other publications; it’s funded by the same money as the conservative Tikvah foundation. Its founders like to see oy-vey articles, particularly when the anxiety factors are pro-Palestinian.

I’m not denying that there’s some nastiness on some campuses and that the far-left is anti-Israel. But it’s a pitched battle between well-funded right-wing hasbaraniks toeing the Israeli government line and some very loud pro-Palestinian students and profs, some of whom may be bona fide antisemites the way some of the Jewish activists are kneejerk Islamaphobes. In the middle, truth and civil debate get lost.

That said, having spoken on ten or 12 campuses on my last job, there’s a few I would avoid as a Jewish student, two of which are in the Bay Area. Every campus I’ve done panels at in DC/Baltimore, including Georgetown, Hopkins, George Mason, American and U MD, had sharp questions from both sides but well within the bounds of legitimate debate.

Debbie S

Ratings
Anti-Israel and anti-Zionist views are also common in this far-right antisemitic circle, sometimes overlapping or dovetailing with far-left antisemitic views, which are difficult to distinguish.
Hence David Duke tweeting support for Ilhan Omar.

What is clear is that there is a link between antisemitism on the far Right and anti-Trump views, a link that is also clear on the far Left. It tends to unite around hatred not only of Jews, but also of Israel and of beliefs that the US is controlled by Jews, who in turn are accused of controlling banks or the media. It shows how antisemitism, when it is a defining worldview and ethos, can easily turn anyone into an enemy, once that person is linked to Jews or “globalism.”
Yep. :(

PRlady

Gutting it out
Ratings
Excuse me but that’s ridiculous. The ADL uses the same research methods as it did under Foxman and no one has challenged their research or statistics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)