America's Favorite Escape- Baseball ⚾️

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
:sleep: but :cheer::cheer2::encore:

When the curtain hit the stage at the end of the opera I dashed out and got on the Kennedy Center shuttle. A woman said, "Alright who has the score?!" And someone said its 2-1 Houston in the top of the 7th and people kind of murmured. Like a minute later someone yelled out "The Nationals are ahead 3-2!" and the whole shuttle cheered. Wheee. That was fun. I got home in time to listen to the 8th and 9th inning.

Wow. just wow. This team has been a really special team. I'm glad I listened to the games all summer long!

Yay for Washington D.C. All my life the year 1924 was etched into my brain as the only time Washington won the World Series. No more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I’m over the moon! Been a season ticket holder since 2005, and We Are The Champions!

I just have to say, I have enjoyed your FB posts about being at the games for all these years. I stopped going when my mother couldn't go anymore but you and one other FB friend have always kept me feeling like I'm sharing being there!

Hooray for you for being such devoted fan! :40beers:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Sorry, what everyone in DC really wants to know us how the Booed One is reacting to the Nats’ victory, given how the fans ruined Sunday’s little outing. :EVILLE:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
This was so exciting!! Mr. Overedge was/is a big Expos fan, so it was a little bittersweet for him that the Expos finally won the World Series but as a different team.....

I follow Sean Doolittle and his wife on Twitter - they are both very progressive politically and are big supporters of independent local businesses - so I was really happy that his team won.

Ironically Mr. Overedge's other favourite team is the Mariners, who are now the only MLB team who have never been in the World Series. Next season might be exceptionally difficult :lol:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
The parade is Saturday. I hope that one of the DC channels live streams it.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
What makes me happiest is that the victory and the city’s reaction demonstrate that we are a real city with real people who live here permanently and who are normal sports fans! We take such crap from the rest of the country and I, for one, resent it. :drama:

jeffisjeff

Ironically, I had to fly to DCA today for a meeting tomorrow. I may have been the only one who didn't clap when the pilot welcomed us to the home of the 2019 World Series Champions.* Thankfully, I leave again tomorrow night before the parade.

That said, I may need to buy my son some Nationals World Series Champions gear just to see the look on his face. :lol: I already got my daughter a Trump 2020 pin since she asked for a DC pin for her collection. She's got a sense of humor so she'll be :rofl: . My son does not, so he'll be :angryfire .

*Given that we survived the crazy turbulence during the approach, I almost did applaud.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
How quickly will the good feelings dissipate if the Nationals visit the White House on Monday as they say they are now going to?

It doesn't matter to me. I separate my politics and my sports. But I just wonder.

ETA: Sean Doolittle will not attend:

Doolittle and his wife, Eireann Dolan, have been involved in political and social issues, including working with Syrian refugees and military veterans, as well as supporting gay rights. The pitcher confirmed in a message to The Washington Post that he does not plan to attend the White House visit.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
More from Doolittle here.

I'm not a Nats fan, and even in this series I preferred the Astros - I have family in Houston, and my niece looks awfully cute in an Astros throwback onesie. But the team and the fanbase have been great throughout the postseason, and that deserves some :respec:

Rob

Beach Bum
I didn’t go, out of town, but my friend had fun. there was a lot of TV coverage, which was ok. Announcers could have told us who was on what bus as it was hard to see who was who with sunglasses, hoodies, hats on and not all had their jersey number visible. NBCSportsWash spent more time showing the announcers than the parade so I switched to MASN. Max stood on top of the roof of the bus for a bit, which made me very nervous due to DC potholes, but I think his wife made him get down. There was a lot of baby shark time onstage. Dozier did his shirtless Calma dance with Sánchez at the end. Stras became a Parra/Sánchez slow dance sandwich again, and gave a speech. Others who spoke included Rendon, Zim, Kendrick, Soto, Eaton (who hosted a go live open mic session), Doolittle (who noted that everyone made fun of them when they brought camels to spring training but they won on a Wednesday - humpday), Turner (who asked for Rendon to come back), Scherzer, batting coach Kevin Long, Rizzo, Martinez, both Lerners (Ted said the players can call him Grandpa Shark now), and all the various TV and radio announcers. The stuffed baby shark wound up inside the World Series trophy, which is where it should be when it hits the trophy case.

Sad part is that half the team were free agents by the time of the parade, plus they announced at night that Stras opted out and the team did not pick up Zim’s option. Zim has already said he’ll negotiate for a lot less so I expect to see him sign a one year deal and then probably transition to management unless he goes to MASN or something. I’m sure Rizzo will tack some years on for Stras and restructure some of the deferred money so he said on TV today he’s sure we won’t lose Stras. He’s only 75% sure we’ll get Rendon back.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Sad part is that half the team were free agents by the time of the parade, plus they announced at night that Stras opted out and the team did not pick up Zim’s option. Zim has already said he’ll negotiate for a lot less so I expect to see him sign a one year deal and then probably transition to management unless he goes to MASN or something. I’m sure Rizzo will tack some years on for Stras and restructure some of the deferred money so he said on TV today he’s sure we won’t lose Stras. He’s only 75% sure we’ll get Rendon back.
It's a business, and the players can't be expected to be sentimental about it. If the Nationals had continued playing poorly after the first two months, I'm sure the front office would have been equally unsentimental about trading away some of the guys. Be happy that they were able to make it work with the current group :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information