Afghanistan

masik

I hate Russia’s government just as I do China’s. I do not hate their people. Two of the most dangerous countries in the world. I am not American - Canadian. Canada is more peace keeping but we lost people in Afghanistan too. Trump treated the ally countries like crap and Biden is rebuilding that. I hate Trump most of all.

ballettmaus

MsZem

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico, via Russia - to the World!
Since the Breitbart article is just a recap of the Guardian's original reporting, why not link to the latter?
Uh, I saw it in Breitbart & wished to share.

So are you suggesting that we check provenance of everything read on the Internet before posting a link? Ridiculous. This seems to be your thing, as if we all have time for such research. ROTFL!

Black Lives Matter in Kabul and everywhere else! Not even the Taliban should get away with such disrespect towards people of color.

Last edited:

olympic

So are you suggesting that we check provenance of everything read on the Internet before posting a link? Ridiculous. This seems to be your thing, as if we all have time for such research. ROTFL!

Black Lives Matter in Kabul and everywhere else! Not even the Taliban should get away with such disrespect towards people of color.
These days, I would check. There is an overload of idiots posing as news organizations these days

Last edited:

MsZem

The link to the Guardian is in the beginning of the Breitbart article.

I'd want to see the (superior) original rather than spend more time reading the recap.

love_skate2011

The link to the Guardian is in the beginning of the Breitbart article.

I'd want to see the (superior) original rather than spend more time reading the recap.
depends which side you want, theguardian is a leftist liberal site.

its heavily promotes "democracy" to the world, theguardian is more than 100 years old publication, a remnant of the british empire
made during the heights of their empire.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
These days, I would check. There is an overload of idiots posing as news organizations these days
If only there was a reliable place of truth to be checked. Where is Walter Conkr?ete when you need him?

love_skate2011

Leftist liberal which promotes democracy and remnant of the British Empire is kind of a contradiction.
Didn't the British Empire conquered other nations for the sake of educating and spreading western wisdom to brown and black people (really to plunder their resources and use as cheap labor and slaves) ? Its either You were a colony or a protectorate, Its kind of the same thing.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Didn't the British Empire conquered other nations for the sake of educating and spreading western wisdom to brown and black people (really to plunder their resources and use as cheap labor and slaves) ? Its either You were a colony or a protectorate, Its kind of the same thing.
Yep. And Spain wanted to spread Catholocism. Such fun.

ballettmaus

Didn't the British Empire conquered other nations for the sake of educating and spreading western wisdom to brown and black people
They did. But that is not the same as spreading democracy especially since many of the colonies became countries of the British Crown.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Michelle Goldberg in the NY Times has written a devastatingly accurate assessment of the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks in this column:

How 9/11 Turned America into a Half-Crazed, Fading Power

Its of course about much more than the war in Afghanistan; its about the near-death of the US that evolved from our response to the 9/11 attacks.

I still grieve for those killed when the planes crashed into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and Pennsylvania.

But I absolutely refuse to commemorate in any way that vile attack. The obsession with the idea that the attack made us true and righteous in all we could do led to death and destruction and to where we are today as a country. God bless those who lost loved ones on 9/11, a wound that can never heal. But God damn the elevating of those attacks to a special historical memory we are supposed to commemorate in order to lie to ourselves forever about our country.

Here is some of what Michelle Goldberg says:

The attacks, and our response to them, catalyzed a period of decline that helped turn the United States into the debased, half-crazed fading power we are today. America launched a bad-faith global crusade to instill democracy in the Muslim world and ended up with our own democracy in tatters.

“The advance of freedom is the calling of our time; it is the calling of our country,” George W. Bush said in 2003. But this epoch of aggressive jingoism, ethnic profiling, escalating paranoia, torture, secret prisons, broken soldiers, dead civilians and dashed imperial dreams has left freedom in retreat both globally and here at home.

Bush’s own political party has radicalized against democracy. Faith in human freedom has curdled into the petulant solipsism of the anti-vaxxers. Since 9/11, more Americans have been killed by far-right terrorists than by jihadists.

The sheer waste of it all is staggering. Twenty years ago, American politicians and intellectuals, traumatized by an unprecedented act of mass murder and not-so-secretly eager to see history revved up again, misunderstood what 9/11 represented. We inflated the stature of our enemies to match our need for retribution. We launched hubristic wars to remake the world and let ourselves be remade instead, spending an estimated $8 trillion in the process. We midwifed worse terrorists than those we set out to fight.

We thought we knew what had been lost on Sept. 11. We had no idea.

Judy

Michelle Goldberg in the NY Times has written a devastatingly accurate assessment of the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks in this column:

How 9/11 Turned America into a Half-Crazed, Fading Power

Its of course about much more than the war in Afghanistan; its about the near-death of the US that evolved from our response to the 9/11 attacks.

I still grieve for those killed when the planes crashed into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and Pennsylvania.

But I absolutely refuse to commemorate in any way that vile attack. The obsession with the idea that the attack made us true and righteous in all we could do led to death and destruction and to where we are today as a country. God bless those who lost loved ones on 9/11, a wound that can never heal. But God damn the elevating of those attacks to a special historical memory we are supposed to commemorate in order to lie to ourselves forever about our country.

Here is some of what Michelle Goldberg says:

I still struggle with 911. So horrific. 20 years later I know I will never feel differently .. nor should I.

once_upon

Vaccinated
9/11 was horrific. Because adults couldn't process it, media showed the towers and Pentagon buildings being hit over and over and over. 24/7 for weeks. As adults we couldn't process it, didn't realize how those images over and over were affecting our children. About 2 weeks after 9/11, I had an 8th graders tell me "it's not good for our teachers to show us pictures/have TV on everyday in school.

I think we can't really process it. I have several Facebook friends who have signed off SM for the next week or more because it's too much.

I'm just exhausted from everything. Political division, withdrawing from a war/region we had no business being in, C-19, stupid argument regarding what's good for the society vs personal "rights", to going backwards in women's rights, climate/environmental threats. It's really too much.

Judy

9/11 was horrific. Because adults couldn't process it, media showed the towers and Pentagon buildings being hit over and over and over. 24/7 for weeks. As adults we couldn't process it, didn't realize how those images over and over were affecting our children. About 2 weeks after 9/11, I had an 8th graders tell me "it's not good for our teachers to show us pictures/have TV on everyday in school.

I think we can't really process it. I have several Facebook friends who have signed off SM for the next week or more because it's too much.

I'm just exhausted from everything. Political division, withdrawing from a war/region we had no business being in, C-19, stupid argument regarding what's good for the society vs personal "rights", to going backwards in women's rights, climate/environmental threats. It's really too much.
That's how I am feeling right now too. I'm finding it too much now too so I have backed off from the news for now. I don't even feel like doing an election.

genegri

I am hoping this was the last Western force in the region and going forward Asia will now be governed by Asians.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

Biden administration is allowing private citizens to sponsor Afghans that want to immigrate. The program is similar to Canada's.

Judy

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information