Afghanistan

caseyedwards

Can you imagine if the American MSM had been reporting ‘live from Dunkirk’ from posh digs in London? LOL. While starving British / French soldiers were waiting on the beach to flee …

Mr. Churchill, this operation is completely chaotic and bungled. Why aren’t you moving faster!?

Mr. Churchill, why did you not foresee the Nazis moving so quickly thru the Ardennes? After all, there was a cable of Nazis amassing forces there.

Mr. Churchill, you really own this, not Neville Chamberlain
This is a bit much. Biden as Churchill. You think maybe it’s possible Biden might get the Nobel peace prize for this!?!

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Well yes Trump did create internal conflict and he was divisive but I appreciated the fact that he had some aversion to foreign adventures.

And I do think I a lot of Americans are tired of it.

There Is a balance between complete isolationism and we have to be Involved in everything.
He had an aversion to foreign affairs because he knew jacksh*t about them. The only people he related to were dictators and autocrats because he is one. And it was all about appearances and massaging his ego. Putin, Jung and the rest of the despots were wringing their hands with glee because they knew how stupid he was.

In regards to HIV, Reagan did nothing about it. He hardly even acknowledged the disease during his presidency.

Last edited:

becca

He had an aversion to foreign affairs because he knew jacksh*t about them. The only people he related to were dictators and autocrats because he is one. And it was all about appearances and massaging his ego. Putin, Jung and the rest of the despots were wringing their hands with glee because they knew how stupid he was.

In regards to HIV, Reagan did nothing about it. He hardly even acknowledged the disease during his presidency.
I am not a fan of Trump and his bull and China shop ways but I think some of his instincts like going harder on China, getting a better NATO deal aren’t wrong.

One of the problems I see with American society is that we don’t listen to each other and we write of some good ideas just because we don’t like the Messenger.

I try my best to listen to folks before I write them off.

For example I had many disagreements with Obama but I liked his trying for Healthcare, opening up Cuba trade etc

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever

In Ronnie's mind, HIV didn't affect good Republicans like him, so why should he care? Shall we also mention Nancy becoming an early advocate for stem cell research only because she thought it could possibly help Ronnie and reverse his Alzheimer's (not that I didn't appreciate her efforts)? The Reagan's really started the "it's all about me/us" philosophy that Trump brought to full fruition. I still remember an old Vanity Fair article describing one of the Reagan's rich friends excitedly stating "it's OUR time now" after he was elected; read: screw the "little people."

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
An interesting perspective on the way the US fights wars. Which are now "wars" if you agree with this perspective:

Biden pulled troops out of Afghanistan. He didn’t end the ‘forever war.’​

Some excerpts:

In withdrawing U.S. forces from Afghanistan by the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, Biden did not renounce using force there. He merely completed the job started by President George W. Bush and his successors: converting the war on terrorism from a conventional military venture to a global operation conducted by such methods as drone strikes, Special Operations raids and standoff missiles.

Beyond the genuine costs and humanitarian consequences of the fall of Kabul, which are not to be underestimated, the continuing reality is even scarier: The United States has over the past two decades created an all-embracing and endless war that knows few geographic bounds. Current events are likely to make that conflict even more permanent.

Oh and there is this little gem for those who are convinced Trump would have withdrawn troops "better" than Biden:
Obama eventually reversed his decision to withdraw troops from Afghanistan and left about 8,400 in place when he departed office (still a paltry number, given the country’s size). It was left to Biden and President Donald Trump — the latter thwarted by bureaucratic resistance (and his own incompetence and indecisiveness), even as he expanded drone strikes and Special Forces deployments worldwide — to finish the task of withdrawal.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
@AxelAnnie, even as someone who is frequently on your side of the political fence, and as someone who has a moderately positive overall view of Reagan as a president, your post re: Reagan's reaction to the AIDS crisis is revisionist history.

You can give Reagan props for many things, but this is not one of them. At all. Six years is a disgrace.
Ok. You are right.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Sorry didn’t want to link properly but just go down to the word “chilling”. Do it at your own risk 😢.
You can't link to the CNN home page and expect that story to be there even a few hours later. It's already gone.

This is a story about how GOP hawks are trying to use the bungled withdrawal from Afghanistan to promote more war. (And how we shouldn't fall for it.)

Vagabond

Biden approval plummets to 41%. Handling of Afghan crisis at 26%.

Biden did better than that in two other very recent polls, including Rasmussen Reports, whose results tend to skew toward Republican candidates and positions.

USA Today/Suffolk8/19 - 8/231000 RV4155-14
Rasmussen Reports8/19 - 8/231500 LV4455-11
The Hill/HarrisX8/20 - 8/222846 RV4943+6

ballettmaus

Two representitives (one Democrats, one Republican) made an unauthorized trip to Afghanistan. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...f7673a-0501-11ec-a266-7c7fe02fa374_story.html

The cloak-and-dagger trip infuriated some officials at the Pentagon and the State Department, where diplomats, military officers and civil servants are working around-the-clock shifts in Washington and at the Kabul airport to evacuate thousands of people from the country every day.

“It’s as moronic as it is selfish,” said a senior administration official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to provide a frank assessment of their trip. “They’re taking seats away from Americans and at-risk Afghans — while putting our diplomats and service members at greater risk — so they can have a moment in front of the cameras.”

Officials expressed disgust at having to divert resources and accommodate sitting members of Congress while racing to get evacuees out of the country.

The two lawmakers began their journey to Kabul via a commercial flight to the United Arab Emirates, paying for the tickets using their own funds, Biba said. From there they “figured out a way onto an empty military flight going into Kabul,” Biba said, without providing additional specifics. They landed at Hamid Karzai International Airport around 4 a.m. Washington time, according to a person familiar with their travel.

Biba said the lawmakers pledged to leave only on a plane with at least three empty seats — their way of ensuring that the flight they took out had extra capacity. When they boarded to return home about 2:30 a.m. Kabul time, he said, they sat in seats designated for crew members.
If they were able to sit in crewmember seats, couldn't evacuees have sat there as well?

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information