Abortion discussions - latest court cases

once_upon

Enough
.I dont condone drug use, but 19 years in prison isn't helpful either. I'm not sure there was/is enough evidence to say with certainty it was the cause of death

Last edited:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
I doubt he'll actually go anywhere near a prison. I don't know how one would go about even seating a jury for a former President, but even if he was convicted of something it's not like he would be placed in gen pop. He does have a Secret Service detail and they would essentially have to be in prison as well. My cynical self is sure he won't have any real penalties, but if he does I would guess it would be house arrest at most.

Do you know who runs your contracted healthcare services?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

sk9tingfan

Wow that really is the closest thing to The Handmaid's Tale coming to life.
It is so surreal that I think these people are from another planet. Joyce Vance, a former ADA for the US in Alabama is one of the most progressive and legally astute lawyers who lives in Alabama (She also is a law professor at the University of Alabama). Between anti-abortion and voter suppression initiatives among others in this highly red state, I can't imagine how she deals with it.

ballettmaus

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Waiting for ethics committees to decide if her life was enough at risk?

Sounds like death panels to me.

But what do I know, I'm just a hysterical woman who doesn't understand that state's rights are more important than my rights.

Dobre

Michigan Supreme Court: Abortion amendment must appear on ballot​

"Tiny spaces and cries of gibberish are not enough to derail an effort to explicitly enshrine abortion rights in the Michigan Constitution, according to a ruling issued Thursday by the state's highest court.

The ruling, the court's first dealing at all with abortion since the U.S. Supreme Court reversed the national constitutional right to an abortion afforded under Roe v. Wade, means Michiganders will have the chance to amend the state Constitution when they cast their ballots this fall.

By a 5-2 decision, the Michigan Supreme Court ruled the Board of State Canvassers must certify a proposed constitutional amendment despite the alleged typographical issues."

Aussie Willy

Michigan Supreme Court: Abortion amendment must appear on ballot​

"Tiny spaces and cries of gibberish are not enough to derail an effort to explicitly enshrine abortion rights in the Michigan Constitution, according to a ruling issued Thursday by the state's highest court.

The ruling, the court's first dealing at all with abortion since the U.S. Supreme Court reversed the national constitutional right to an abortion afforded under Roe v. Wade, means Michiganders will have the chance to amend the state Constitution when they cast their ballots this fall.

By a 5-2 decision, the Michigan Supreme Court ruled the Board of State Canvassers must certify a proposed constitutional amendment despite the alleged typographical issues."
The anti-abortionists really are grabbing at any stupid reason to try and impose on people's rights. Regardless of that the right to have the amendment on the ballot was supported by thousands.

skatingguy

The anti-abortionists really are grabbing at any stupid reason to try and impose on people's rights. Regardless of that the right to have the amendment on the ballot was supported by thousands.
They don't really care either way. The issue here is that they don't want the issue on the ballot, and risk that it will drive turn out.

Last edited:

Cachoo

The anti's wanted Roe v Wade overturned. Be careful of what you wish for....

sk9tingfan

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Wow that really is the closest thing to The Handmaid's Tale coming to life.
What about protection of the women? Is jailing them to protect the foetuses even legal? Can they sue for torture and/or endangering their lives?

I should read that book but it may drive me crazy.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This may be a dumb question.

What would it take to overturn the most recent SCOTUS decision about abortions?

Since the past decision was overturned by this SC, it means it can be changed (overturned)? But how?

once_upon

Enough

Since the past decision was overturned by this SC, it means it can be changed (overturned)? But how?
Supposedly the individual states are to do the laws regarding abortions in their states. Which is a load of crap. Once states make laws regarding the rights to abortion to allow abortion some group will sue to get it to SCOTUS. We all know how THAT will turn out.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
IANAL but I suspect that's why a lot of states are attempting to amend their constitutions, including Michigan. It seems to offer a greater degree of protection than just laws. And it avoids the effects of a gerrymandered state's legislature, as the constitution trumps state law.

I suppose that the trick is SCOTUS has no enforcement arm.

Since there is no federal law, the FBI may not interfere with how, say Michigan, manages itself. The attorney general of Michigan would be the ultimate authority, and should follow the state laws & Constitution??

sk9tingfan

And another aspect of gynecological care is affected. Waiting for more GOP women to "peel-off" in November?

Today was my first OBGYN appt since the GOP banned abortion care in WI. I learned that the meds used to soften the cervix & make IUD inserts less painful are no longer an option bc they’re also used in abortions. Not only did the GOP take our rights, they’re making us suffer more

Trillian

There are two possibilities. The laws are now decided on a state-by-state level, which could theoretically lead to widespread legal abortion eventually as a practical matter. But that probably won’t happen anytime soon because women dying is a feature for these guys, not a bug.

Or - someone successfully makes a different constitutional argument that is eventually adopted in a future Supreme Court decision. That should be possible because there are perfectly valid arguments to be made, but since our judiciary is currently dominated by a bunch of christofascists who don’t care what the constitution actually says, it’s not going to happen anytime soon.

It’s going to be a really bad situation for a long time, one way or another.

Aussie Willy

And another aspect of gynecological care is affected. Waiting for more GOP women to "peel-off" in November?

Today was my first OBGYN appt since the GOP banned abortion care in WI. I learned that the meds used to soften the cervix & make IUD inserts less painful are no longer an option bc they’re also used in abortions. Not only did the GOP take our rights, they’re making us suffer more
This is what is getting absolutely ridiculous. Standard medical care for women is under threat because of a bunch of religious zealots. And they are a minority.

From what I have read, since the overturning of RvW voter registration amongst women have dramatically increased. That isn't the GQP. That is women who are feeling their healthcare is under threat. I hope the Republicans get smashed at the midterms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information