Abortion discussions - latest court cases

Japanfan

Proof that all men need to be castrated
:wall::wall::wall:

There's some twisted logic for you.

Essentially, force women to have babies and then support them on their own, if the father isn't into it. Absolve fathers of responsibility. Way to go!!

Should governments step up, in his opinion?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

Aussie Willy

Amen to this. People are voting with their feet and moving away from high-tax, woke, crime-ridden hellholes like California and New York to high-growth, low-tax, freedom-loving Florida (and other similar GOP-controlled states like Idaho and South Carolina). DeSantis has spoken the truth about covid all along. He was one of the only people who looked at a balanced cost-benefit analysis and realized that it didn't compute. He took a enormous risk and was right. I know this is a foreign concept to most people, but I think we should vote for politicians who make good decisions regardless of party. DeSantis has a track record of making very good decisions; Biden and Newsom have made disastrous ones. DeSantis needs to do for the entire U.S. what he has done for Florida - high growth, low taxes, small government, and rejection of the destructive forces of woke-ism and revisionist history. I don't agree with him on all issues, but he has governed the best performing large state in the country and deserves a serious look for President. All of the other states with high growth are also Republican-controlled.
Yep and then the US becomes a dictatorship, Gilead is created and anyone who doesn't support Dictator Death Santis will be locked up or executed. Particuarly the "woke liberals". He is a nasty POS and heaven help the US if he becomes President.

But you know, employment has gone below 4% and over 500K of jobs have been created under Biden. Petrol prices are decreasing. And inflation is happening all over the world, not just the US.

If the only thing you can look is Covid and think that he has done a good job, Florida still is the third highest number of deaths in the country.

In the meantime you are sounding like every Repuglican these days who is obsessed with the "woke left" when really you should be concerned about the fascist direction that party is heading in.

Amy L

If the only thing you can look is Covid and think that he has done a good job, Florida still is the third highest number of deaths in the country.

In the meantime you are sounding like every Repuglican these days who is obsessed with the "woke left" when really you should be concerned about the fascist direction that party is heading in.
It's DeSantis worship with blinders on. No mention of him literally saying that liberals want to force ALL CHILDREN to switch genders. That is fking looney and doesn't even make sense. If all boys become girls and all girls become boys that just ... makes it opposite day? It's still roughly 50/50 and enby kids will still be enby. Like, what would that do? I know certain people think Libs are idiots no matter what, but crazy idiocy is what extreme rightwingers have as a monopoly.

Then there are the LGBTQ+ teachers who are already being threatened with losing their jobs if they even have pictures of their same-sex partners in the classroom. The Don't Say Gay bill was sold as a way to stop sex ed from being taught to elementary school-children, but in reality it effects everyone in all grades and DeSantis wants to go even further to force college students and faculty to state their political ideologies to track "indoctrination".

If your economic and health policies are so strong, then culture wars should not be at the forefront of your campaign. If that is your immediate go-to every time, then you don't have any real ideas for anything in the first place.

When a white asshole keeps crying WOKE WOKE WOKE it usually means "I used to be able to be an asshole and now people are getting mad that I'm asshole and I would legally like to shut you up so I can continue being an asshole." Prove me wrong, y'all.

Aussie Willy

If your economic and health policies are so strong, then culture wars should not be at the forefront of your campaign. If that is your immediate go-to every time, then you don't have any real ideas for anything in the first place.

When a white asshole keeps crying WOKE WOKE WOKE it usually means "I used to be able to be an asshole and now people are getting mad that I'm asshole and I would legally like to shut you up so I can continue being an asshole." Prove me wrong, y'all.
And you could campaign on the positive stuff you have done too instead of constantly attacking your opposition. However the GQP have to constantly tell you how evil the left and Dems are is because they are totally projecting what their intentions are. They are just waiting in the wings to impose their idea of fascism on the rest of the country.

once_upon

Enough

once_upon

Enough
Nebraksa's attempt to call a special election specifically devoted to abortion restriction laws is not going to happen.

Those pro attempt appear to be fearful that they will lose seats and lose the Nov elections.

Doesn't mean they won't restrict them once a new general session happens in 2023. They still intend to pursue bans. Just focus on the long term.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
This one is an utter mess, though. All of this was before Roe vs. Wade had been overturned. As a resident of Nebraska she had (and still has) up until 22 weeks to safely terminate a pregnancy ,yet they waited until 6 months to get RU -486 illegally?

Meanwhile, RU-486 is never supposed to be used beyond 12 weeks of gestation. I think the mother's felony charge of performing an abortion as a non licensed doctor is valid.

I will most likely always err on the side of choice and bodily autonomy, but what was this mother thinking?

sk9tingfan

This one is an utter mess, though. All of this was before Roe vs. Wade had been overturned. As a resident of Nebraska she had (and still has) up until 22 weeks to safely terminate a pregnancy ,yet they waited until 6 months to get RU -486 illegally? Meanwhile, RU-486 is never supposed to be used beyond 12 weeks of gestation. I think the mother's felony charge of performing an abortion as a non licensed doctor is valid.
I will most likely always err on the side of choice and bodily autonomy, but what was this mother thinking?
I agree. I wonder if the teen was hiding this from her mother and then the latter took action. A full six months?

once_upon

Enough
I agree. I wonder if the teen was hiding this from her mother and then the latter took action. A full six months?
It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

A little about Madison County.

Madison County has ~35,500 residents. Average annual income ~$36,000.

There is a 131 bed hospital in Norfolk.

myhoneyhoney

Oh this is so squeamish for me, and I am anti-religious pro-choice. A 6month old fetus is much more than a glob of cells compared to 6 weeks gestation. Potentially 24 weeks… that can be survivable, albeit a slim chance and heavy medical intervention, potentially for life. Maybe I’m biased because I have a friend who had a micro premie and the baby thrived after a very long time in NICU. The baby is now 13.

If only the abortion happened earlier in pregnancy. Regardless, it’s a nightmare situation.

Last edited:

once_upon

Enough
I have a couple of thoughts about it. Many teenagers are in absolute denial and really don't know how far into a pregnancy they are. A teen who came into the hospital where I worked, with abdominal pain, had an x-ray to rule out a couple of things. It showed she was pregnant. The next exam was pain was due to labor. Denial is not just a river in Egypt as the saying goes.

I would guess the teen saying "get this thing out of me", could be from shock of not knowing or I have other thoughts like rape.

I believe the article indicated that the fetus was stillborn and fetal age determination was done at autopsy. So it is likely neither the teen or her mother realized gestational age.

What I dont understand is if the autopsy was done after the body was unearthed or was done before and the body released to the family. Who was the male that helped bury the body - was he a relative or the father (or both).

Yes 24 weeker can be a viable age, but if the teen and her mother had no real idea of when the pregnancy began they most likely were not aware of gestational age. Madison County does have the 131 bed hospital, but does not to my knowledge have an NICU.

My son's best friend sister was a 27 weeker. She is now 39. So yes, it is the "iffy" time period, but does have potential good outcomes.

I predict we will see more of these types of abortions at home, not safe medical care and many more prosecutions of those assisting with back street abortions.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Yes, and their comms guy is on Twitter stating that the warrant was asking for conversations about a stillborn, not an abortion :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
What I read is Facebook turned over DMs to police?
Apparently, they had a warrant and Facebook needed to comply. :confused:
In any case, I feel like the arguments are very muddled in this situation. Absolutely nothing about this came about due to Roe vs Wade being overturned. For whatever reason, it appears the daughter simply didn't make a decision in a timely enough manner, even though she seemingly had safe and legal access , as well as, full agency to do so.

She wound up taking the pill at the 6 month mark , leading to a stillbirth, which could have lead to serious medical complications . The fetal matter was then buried after being set on fire. Putting aside my pro bodily autonomy and generally pro-choice principles...what the actual hell were they thinking? This comes across as so reckless and disturbing, not to mention utterly unnecessary.

I can only suppose the reasons it happened this way,until I know them , on paper it just looks like common sense was very lacking.

Then again, there are two sides to every story and I do recognize that I may not have all the facts of the situation.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
I think the main issue is they buried the body.

I want to know how the police got the medical records, because that is some bullshit right there.
As surprising ( and IMHO disconcerting ) as it may be, it is apparently very easy for US law enforcement to get medical records under HIPAA rules even without a warrant.
All they would theoretically have to do is claim the mother and daughter were suspects and/or provide a written request .

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Honestly, the fact pattern of this NE situation seem really contrived.

Dobre

The Right to Privacy in Montana's State Constitution held up yesterday.

Montana Supreme Court upholds ruling blocking abortion restrictions​

"Montana’s Supreme Court has upheld a lower court’s ruling that temporarily blocks further restrictions on abortion.

Planned Parenthood in a statement Tuesday announced that the Montana Supreme Court blocked three separate laws that were enacted during the state’s legislative session last year from taking effect.

One of the laws would have banned abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy, while another would have created numerous barriers to medication abortion, and a third would have implemented a mandatory ultrasound offer and documentation requirement for those seeking an abortion.

A district court in September blocked those three laws from taking effect. Planned Parenthood’s Montana chapter filed the initial lawsuit challenging them.

'We are pleased that the Montana Supreme Court ruled today to uphold the preliminary injunction put in place by the District Court in the fall."

once_upon

Enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information