Abortion discussions - latest court cases

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
It looks very promising. Long lines in the KCKS suburbs and a lot of new people voting. Really making me want to move 15 miles from MO to KS so I feel like my vote matters. If the No does win they have to stay on the voting though. MO voted for anti-corruption and then a confusing amendment was put to vote a year later and corruption is back.

once_upon

Enough
MSNBC is being cautious. Johnson County is a large population base - almost as much as the rest of the state - heavily democratic leaning, is doing very well. But I'm mildly optimistic, but not convinced.

mtnskater

Congratulations to the voters in Kansas. As red as that state is, I was not expecting this result. MSNBC says that a lot of Republicans had to vote with Democrats opposing this abortion ban because there are not enough Democrats in Kansas to have carried this result alone. Take that Supreme Court! The people are speaking loud and clear…women’s lives matter!

jeffisjeff

This is so important for so many reasons. Obviously, it is great for the people of Kansas, but it also should provide hope and motivation and inspiration to people in other red states. And, potentially, help provide access to critical medical services to women in neighboring red states.

What's the matter with Kansas? NOTHING!!!

Cachoo

This is so important for so many reasons. Obviously, it is great for the people of Kansas, but it also should provide hope and motivation and inspiration to people in other red states. And, potentially, help provide access to critical medical services to women in neighboring red states.
What's the matter with Kansas? NOTHING!!!
And it was so hot here today (104 degrees.) I mailed my ballot but so many people stood in that heat for an hour or more.

Last edited:

Allskate

Congratulations to the voters in Kansas. As red as that state is, I was not expecting this result. MSNBC says that a lot of Republicans had to vote with Democrats opposing this abortion ban because there are not enough Democrats in Kansas to have carried this result alone.

I'm happy with the result, but I can't say I'm shocked. The majority of Americans support abortion rights. That includes some Republicans. More than 60% of Americans oppose complete bans. So, the result isn't that shocking, even in a red state with voters that tend to be older than the average state population. Also, I don't this translates to state legislative votes on abortion bans because Republican legislators seem to lean more conservative than the average person or the average Republican. Also, I don't think this necessarily translates to federal elections for Congress because there are a lot of other issues that come into play.

Last edited:

Dobre

Agreed. It's very different to vote for a person with a party affiliation and all of the issues that will be on the table when that person goes into office.

That said, it looks like it was a wise move to put abortion up for a vote in Congress. All those Republicans in the House and the Senate that voted against protecting a woman's right to choose have those no votes on the books. If Democrats have the guts to run on the issue, the evidence they need is there.

And on top of that, a whole boatload of House Republicans voted against the right to use contraception. Again, on the books.

Allskate

There are a number of polls that say this. Here's one article about it:

Banning all abortions at all times, regardless of circumstances, is not very popular, including among Republicans:

I think there may be an erroneous perception that most Republicans favor complete bans because outspoken Republican politicians often favor them. But, for a variety of reasons, Republican politicians are more right-wing on this (and other issues like universal background checks) than Republicans in general are. The reality is that most of the abortion laws are and will be based on legislative action and that is going to result in restrictive bans on abortions for many American women.

I am appalled that 40% of people voted no. I wouldn't call this a 'resounding' victory - more like a troubling one.
I agree. This is good for women in Kansas or who can travel to Kansas. But, 40% percent wanted a ban. Compared to national numbers, that's not particularly great.

And I see no reason to believe that what happened in Kansas is an indication that red states are going to permit abortions the way that Roe and Casey did. Other states have enacted laws banning abortions, including recently and in the most populous red state in the country. Anyone who thinks that this is a sign that a whole bunch of red states are now going to allow abortions (with the possible exception for the health of the mother and maybe rape) are probably in for a surprise.

Last edited:

alexikeguchi

I am relieved. The reports of how confusing it was worried me.
Oklahoma does this all the time for referendums too. They created deliberately confusing language for legalization of marijuana, expansion of Medicaid, and a few less visible issues but were unsuccessful in thwarting the will of the people every single time. We are another state that keeps electing hard right Republican supermajorities, but most people have much more pragmatic and flexible positions than the politicians they elect.

once_upon

Enough
I am appalled that 40% of people voted no. I wouldn't call this a 'resounding' victory - more like a troubling one.
I would call it one that you would see around the country stats. There are many single issue voters, abortion is one.

You may not remember or know. but Kansas is the state where abortion doctors were shot. One was shot and killed while in church. Clinics were/are vandalized. It's ugly around clinics

This is a state where abortion is legal BUT there is a 24 hour waiting period, a required ultrasound and showing the woman the ultrasound results, and required watching video.

It is a HUGE thing. Especially since Kansas is a state that provides abortion surrounded by states that don't.

I know you are very pro women's rights, but the conservative Bible belts states usually aren't. Before people say Kansas is not Bible belt, I've traveled in rural Kansas. If not Bible belt state it's trying hard and modeling itself after them

Susan1

I think all states deliberately write propositions, amendments, bond issues, etc hard to read, difficult to interpret.

It's why I like organizations like League of Women Voters-who will put it in simple, easy to understand interpretations.
It's like they do a triple negative and you have to parse the sentence - "the Kansas constitutional amendment to remove protections of abortion rights fails."

MsZem

Non-green cookie monster

Susan1

But the progressives don't think it's enough. Do they want a free abortion clinic on every corner? He's doing all he can do. Vote blue for enough Senate and House members to have a real majority and change the laws.

rfisher

Let the skating begin

And it was so hot here today (104 degrees.) I mailed my ballot but so many people stood in that heat for an hour or more.
My man Steve pointed out the voter turnout was over 900K. Over double previous primaries and nearly as high as the last two general elections. That was the key. Let's hope all those voters and more show up in November.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information