Abortion discussions - latest court cases

Japanfan

Just saw the decision now. Not at all a surprise, but still, I feel very sad.

I'm in Vancouver, and if there will be a network supporting American women in the region to get the procedure done in Canada, I would do what I could to help.

Just so sad.:wuzrobbed
:(:mad:
A system where abortion is legal in some states but not others may be the best compromise. Travel across state lines to have an abortion is protected by the Constitution and other laws.

I do believe there are solutions, workarounds, and potential landing zones. I stand with all women choosing abortion and hope we can provide a legal path moving forward. There is hope.
Hope for what?

I don't see much hope.

And going out of state isn't an option for some women. They can't get childcare, or can't afford to go anywhere, or can't leave their jobs. Or all of the above.

However, the abortion pill does give some hope. There will be underground networks making it available to women.

And as a resident of Vancouver, BC, not far from the US border, I would do what I could to support American women from the region to have the procedure done in Canada.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This is a dark day for all women. Making things having to do with human rights states rights issues is never a good thing.

As I'm sure you know, this isn't about states rights. The rightwing agenda is to ban abortion nationally by passing federal legislation when the Republican Party has enough votes in the House and Senate. Obviously it would be vetoed by a Democratic president but they hope to take that too. They will erase all rights if they take the House Senate and presidency; that is what authoritarian movements do.

The rightwing never believed in "states rights" they believed in their agenda and "states rights" was slogan for advancing it until they could take enough power to implement it nationally.

Louis

Private citizen
So you don’t support what the Supreme Court decided with regard to gun laws right?

I believe the states have rights except where the Constitution says otherwise. In the case of the gun laws, the Constitution says otherwise. The Constitution says nothing about abortion.

We are all free only when the courts interpret the law as written, and when the elected legislature writes law in accordance with the will of the people it represents.

jenny12

A system where abortion is legal in some states but not others may be the best compromise. Travel across state lines to have an abortion is protected by the Constitution and other

A human right issue not being guaranteed by every single state hurts the democracy. Then we are not the United States of America.

Forcing pregnant women to travel for an abortion is cruel and can be harmful to their physical and emotional well being. We’ve had 50 years where this wasn’t a problem but Republicans have decided to use a human rights issue to manipulate people into voting for a party that has zero ideas aside from taking away rights and fostering hatred for the most vulnerable people in the country.

Last edited:

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
I believe the states have rights except where the Constitution says otherwise. In the case of the gun laws, the Constitution says otherwise. The Constitution says nothing about abortion.

We are all free only when the courts interpret the law as written, and when the elected legislature writes law in accordance with the will of the people it represents.
So you’re a hypocrite. Noted.

skatingguy

There are natural laws that do not have to enumerated in law to be enforced, and the right to privacy is one of those.

kedrin

When this country was founded, the law as written permitted slavery, in accordance with the will of the people white men represented by the legislature. Law has not one thing to do with freedom.

jenny12

When this country was founded, the law as written permitted slavery, in accordance with the will of the people white men represented by the legislature. Law has not one thing to do with freedom.

Yes, people who are saying the court is just interpreting law as written are full of BS or are just ignorant. Nowhere in the Constitution is the word corporation mentioned and yet somehow they have protection under the first amendment.

The decision today was a purely political one, obviously.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

Women in the US will die because of this. Mothers, daughters, sisters. Anyone coming in here and cheering or saying this is the right thing to do has blood on their hands.
The disgusting truth is that for anyone cheering this decision, those deaths are a feature, not a bug. They are a wanted outcome. And the blood on their hands is a trophy.

kedrin

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Horrible decision. In other news, Democrats just won the midterms.
If only. Very disingenuous of @Louis to say abortion and marriage equality can be federally legislated for when he fully knows that there aren’t enough votes to make it happen and even if there was it could all be repealed with new legislation.

Louis

Private citizen
Women in the US will die because of this. Mothers, daughters, sisters. Anyone coming in here and cheering or saying this is the right thing to do has blood on their hands.

This is the same argument that anti-abortion activists make. We can all keep fighting over who has more blood on their hands or we can try to work toward some type of compromise.

1/3 of women in the US define themselves as pro-life. While only 12% believe abortion should be illegal in all circumstances, a combined 60% believe it should be restricted. It’s time for the Democrats to start engaging with this group, listening to them, and finding a compromise. Your extremist position (which I happen to agree with) is no longer tenable. Accept it.

If only. Very disingenuous of @Louis to say abortion and marriage equality can be federally legislated for when he fully knows that there aren’t enough votes to make it happen and even if there was it could all be repealed with new legislation.

Yes, it can be federally legislated if it’s the will of the people and the representatives they elect. This is how democracy works.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Genuinely sorry for those who are feeling pain today.

I support abortion rights and have paid for two abortions, crossing picket lines.

At the same time, I support this decision, returning this issue to the states and the legislature. I support legislation at the state or federal level to guarantee abortion rights, but could never support the legal contortionism of Roe.

I recognize that this is a profound moral issue for people, and there are no easy answers. A system where abortion is legal in some states but not others may be the best compromise. Travel across state lines to have an abortion is protected by the Constitution and other laws.

A federal law guaranteeing abortion rights up to a certain period, e.g., 12 weeks, may be another potential compromise.

I do believe there are solutions, workarounds, and potential landing zones. I stand with all women choosing abortion and hope we can provide a legal path moving forward. There is hope.
Oh, good. I was waiting for a privileged man to comment on this.

Trillian

Yes, it can be federally legislated if it’s the will of the people and the representatives they elect. This is how democracy works.

Maybe that’s easier to believe when so many of the “representatives” look like you, but that’s not remotely how the U.S. government works. It’s the will of the people who have money and have managed to retain their voting rights.

The judiciary is supposed to protect people without political power when their constitutional rights are violated. If you don’t think bodily autonomy is implicit in any of the language in the constitution, but you can draw a line between a “well-regulated militia” and an 18-year-old buying an assault weapon on credit, you may not be reading the document with quite as much objectivity as you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information