Abortion discussions - latest court cases

Allskate

A nuanced anti-choice advocate:

Antiabortion advocate worked for years to overturn Roe, but worries over next steps
https://wapo.st/37GwsV7 (gifted)

The responses to her are so sad - and not at all surprising to me. It's not just the grift of politicians she talks about, though that is so obvious not just in Trump but so many in Congress and elsewhere. It's all the people who claim to be "pro-life" and anti-abortion but have not supported efforts to save lives and address the circumstances that lead to abortion. Part of it is a zest for moral outrage. Part of it is that they don't want to support anything that might adversely affect them. And part of it is just idiotic political zealotry. It's amazing how white supremacy has become entwined with being anti-choice. It's also crazy how many people invoke Christianity for why they are anti-choice but support so many politicians, practices, and policies that are blatantly inconsistent with the Bible. Unfortunately, I think this woman is in the minority.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I thought this had been posted but the date on the article is today:

This point stood out to me:
Wait, you say: It’s not about the organs; it’s about the babies. Which raises some questions. Is an acorn an oak tree? Is a hen’s egg a chicken? When does a fertilized human egg become a full human being or person?
No one thinks a hen's egg is a chicken or that an acorn is an oak tree. But apparently, an embryo is a human being.
Unfortunately, I think this woman is in the minority.
Yeah, I do too.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
The responses to her are so sad - and not at all surprising to me. It's not just the grift of politicians she talks about, though that is so obvious not just in Trump but so many in Congress and elsewhere. It's all the people who claim to be "pro-life" and anti-abortion but have not supported efforts to save lives and address the circumstances that lead to abortion. Part of it is a zest for moral outrage. Part of it is that they don't want to support anything that might adversely affect them. And part of it is just idiotic political zealotry. It's amazing how white supremacy has become entwined with being anti-choice. It's also crazy how many people invoke Christianity for why they are anti-choice but support so many politicians, practices, and policies that are blatantly inconsistent with the Bible. Unfortunately, I think this woman is in the minority.
I totally agree with your analysis of the article.

This line stood out for me

At one point, she wrote in a 2016 reflection, “I realized it had been two years since I had witnessed a woman changing her mind at a clinic.”

You do watch things like abortion clinic Tiktok and you just wonder what do these people think they are trying to achieve?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
There's an abortion clinic TikTok? Is it four or against abortion? I don't have to TikTok and I am not going to get it.

Allskate

thought this had been posted but the date on the article is today:
I think I referred to a Margaret Atwood piece earlier in the thread, but it was a different one. Here it is:

In the Atlantic piece you linked to, I was happy to see Atwood reference the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. So many people rely on the Free Exercise Clause portion of the First Amendment and pervert it to mean freedom to impose their religious beliefs on others.

ballettmaus

Attended the Bans Off Our Bodies rally and march in Philly today - considering these marches were planned quickly, I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout and thrilled to see so many young people there. ❤️💪🏻
If the marches are well-attended by young people, would it be smart for Democrats to do something like voter registration drives at entrance/exit points?

mtnskater

In Denver they were registering voters at the rally.

Also Colorado is one of the states that passed a law protecting abortion rights should Roe v Wade be struck down. Speakers at the rally said we should all get ready to help and support women from other states who need abortion services here.

once_upon

Vaccinated
Anyone who lives in this red state can tell you that is predictable.

Pillen will continue the anti-abortion fight. He ran his primary with an ad about how his family took in and adopted a baby whose teenage mother couldn't keep him. And how they didn't save that baby's that baby saved their lives.

Allskate

In Denver they were registering voters at the rally.
I'm glad. I hope they actually vote. I think that there are more Republican voters who are single issue voters regarding abortion than there are Democrats.

The women who are most likely to be affected by Roe are younger, but younger people tend to be less likely to vote. I hope the Supreme Court gets younger people more engaged in the political process generally.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Yeah, he sucks. He turned down all sorts of assistance for children because Nebraska is "not a welfare state," but hey ladies! Bring on all the babies that this dispshit will look down and disparage while providing no help whatsoever.

The good news is he tried this in the regular session and it was filibustered until it died. Hopefully that can happen again.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Very interesting Daily podcast today about abortion laws, availability, and evolution in Mexico.
Here's a good YouTube about it from a Gyn/OB who is from Texas. It's a good summary and she brings up good points.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The Guardian has written a series of interesting articles on the topic:

Looking at El Salvador to see what could happen in the US:

How the decision could impact Indigenous women:

And a blast from the past:

susan6

Oklahoma just passed it's Texas-style (but even more draconian) total abortion ban: illegal from fertilization. Allows private citizens to sue abortion providers.
An OB-GYN in Alabama has already seen the effects of anti-abortion laws. She's seen women in her state who come to hospitals with a miscarriage in need of medical help get turned away. As this criminalization of abortion progresses in the US, doctors will not care if you present in the ER with blood gushing out of you and running onto the floor. They cannot get involved with anything that may be remotely illegal.
A lot of women are going to die.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This article is a bit hard to follow but Rep. Lucy McBath testified about her lost pregnancies and the fact that drugs that may be banned under these soon to be constitutional harsh abortion bans were needed to deal with her situation.

"For two weeks, I carried a lost pregnancy and the torment that comes with it," McBath said. "I never went into labor on my own. When my doctor finally induced me, I faced the pain of labor without hope for a living child."

"This is my story—it's uniquely my story—and yet it's not so unique," McBath continued, noting how common pregnancy loss is. "And so I ask, on behalf of these women: After which failed pregnancy should I have been imprisoned?"

"Would it have been after the first miscarriage, after doctors used what would be an illegal drug to abort the lost fetus?" she asked. "Would you have put me in jail after the second miscarriage?"

"Or would you have put me behind bars after my stillbirth—after I was forced to carry a dead fetus for weeks, after asking God if I was ever going to be able to raise a child?" she continued, explaining that her questions were relevant because "the same medicine used to treat my failed pregnancies is the same medicine states like Texas would make illegal."

When the only concern is banning abortion, women who have miscarriages and still births are going to be harmed deeply. These laws are draconian.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I've mentioned my whackadoo inlaws a lot here, but all of their crazy combined does not even equal this brand of crazy. This lady thinks abortions are used to power electricity. I believe she's considered an "expert" in anti-abortion policy and she is f#@!n out of her mind.

There is a real mental health crisis in the US and it is not shooters or the homeless. These people are nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information