Abortion discussions - latest court cases

Japanfan

Well there is a beat it is just it is not a completed heart yet. Needs a little more time in the crock pot.

No, there isn't. It is just cellular activity - which has already been pointed out.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Texas has passed another abortion bill, SB 4, this restricting abortion pill use seven weeks from date of last period. Abbott has not signed yet, but of course, he will.

The bill also does not allow these pills to be mailed in TX.

Previous law in TX allowed abortion pill use up to 10 weeks, which matches the FDA guideline.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

skatingguy

Golden Team
Texas has passed another abortion bill, SB 4, this restricting abortion pill use seven weeks from date of last period. Abbott has not signed yet, but of course, he will.

Previous law in TX allowed abortion pill use up to 10 weeks, which matches the FDA guideline.
How do you enforce that? These people are ridiculous.

skipaway

If I were an abortion provider in Texas…I’d say the six week timer began when the woman walked in my door thinking she may be pregnant. I’d test…say yes..reschedule for ultrasound…tell her to come back later…I’d not back it up to last period. Start a new trend.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The US House of Representatives passed a bill that would codify Roe v Wade in law. Now obviously they don't have the votes to pass this in the Senate at this time. But the point is that it tells voters that if they elect Democrats they will pass this. Those who are pro-choice need to pay attention. Elect Dems to the Senate and legislation that overrides state laws like that in Texas and which makes it moot that the court can overturn Roe can be passed.

The House on Friday passed legislation that would create a statutory right for health-care professionals to provide abortions, amid an intensifying legal battle over a Texas law that is the most restrictive in the nation.

H.R. 3755, the Women’s Health Protection Act, was approved by the Democratic-controlled House 218 to 211, but faces tough odds in the evenly divided Senate.
The measure states that health-care providers have a statutory right to provide, and patients have a right to receive, abortion services without any number of limitations that states and opponents of the procedure have sought to impose.

The measure would essentially codify Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court decision guaranteeing the right to abortion before viability, usually around 22 to 24 weeks.

caseyedwards

Almost All Americans agreed doctors should really not be allowed to take all of a fetus except the head out of a woman puncture the neck and evacuate the brain. Most Americans agreed this was not proper. So congress banned it. This bill repeals that ban and allows doctors to do that again.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

FFS. These people are just stupid. People will find ways around this and people will help them to find ways around this. Women will just stock up on the pills and take them as a just in case. Which isn't ideal either.

That people who think the law is a bad thing are able to sue just shows how stupid the law makers are that they couldn't envisage it. Now the anti-abortionists are unhappy it is happening.

BTW last night on Planet America they interviewed a Texas doctor about the new laws. Worth watching. Particularly her report about a young rape victim who was seven weeks pregnant.

Judy

I shake my head.

Aussie Willy

I haven't watched much news over the weekend but I also didn't see a lot about the women's marches coming up on my social media feeds. This article mentions that even Susan Collins is working towards abortion rights legislation. Does anyone have any more information about that.

Japanfan

I haven't watched much news over the weekend but I also didn't see a lot about the women's marches coming up on my social media feeds. This article mentions that even Susan Collins is working towards abortion rights legislation. Does anyone have any more information about that.

There was a little coverage of this on the Canadian news. It also came up on my Facebook, but that's not surprising as I generally read abortion-related articles, and Facebook has this nifty (and scary) way of tracking people.

The news coverage I saw said that other states are considering following Texas's lead.

Roe v. Wade might actually be overturned, setting women's rights in the US back half a century. :mad:

:wuzrobbed

I can't imagine this happening in Canada or the rest of the developed world (pro-life in Canada is nowhere near as vocal as pro-life in the US), but never say never. Rights that can be given, can also be taken away. Thus women (men too) must remain always vigilant.

And if course, making abortion illegal won't stop abortion, it will only stop safe, legal abortion.

Right now there is an underground railway and financial support for Texas women to seek abortion care in states that allow abortion. But if Roe v. Wade is overturned, this might not be an option.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

Missouri's Todd Akin has died.

He is famous for this:

Akin, a strong abortion opponent, was asked during an interview by a St. Louis television station whether he supported allowing abortions for women who have been raped. He answered that “from what I understand from doctors” that such pregnancies are “really rare.”

He added: “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down

This set of incorrect and nauseating ideas is still current in the anti abortion movement, to explain why rape is not an excuse for abortion. I felt his death was a good time to reiterate the facts, since states are going to seek to pass more and more laws without rape or incest exceptions, and you may want the info:

You will note that four distinct lies are part of this argument:

1. Rape related pregnancies are infrequent:
They are most frequent with adolescents raped by family members (I suspect this population is less likely to be on the pill or to have an IUD than older women).

2. Raped women seldom get pregnant because women's bodies can tell a bad sperm from a good one, or some other such nonsense.
Nope. But ideas like this happen when kids don't get any accurate sex education.
3. Real rape is rare.
Hardly. Polls vary, but at least 20% of women in the US will be raped at some the in their lives.
Of those, 1 in 3 we're between the ages of 11 and 17.

4. By which Akin implied lots of raped women are lying about being raped. I suppose he thought either the sex was consensual or that the women "asked for it." This is a common patriarchal view. Nothing is ever the real fault of a man, especially a white man.

Again nope. Above study calculates that false reports range 6% +/- 4% (2 to 10%)

And that does not include unreported rapes:

Nearly 80% of rapes in the US go unreported.

And no surprise. Rapists are seldom arrested, even more seldom convicted, and people with ideas like Akin attack the victims, not the rapists.

Studies on victim blaming are confusing, but we have all heard people blaming rape victims.

Finally, a PSA:

Japanfan

Studies on victim blaming are confusing, but we have all heard people blaming rape victims.
I think that when women blame rape victims, they are asserting a sense of control and superiority in believing that they themselves would not get raped. It's a form of control, and gives a sense of security. IMO.

Unfortunately, those women are for the most part wrong.

OTOH, when men blame rape victims, it's a different thing. They are not considering that it is most often men who rape (both girls/women and boys/men) and abdicating the responsibility that men, as a class, have to address the issue of rape.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Love it. A judge ruled against the Texas abortion ban.

once_upon

Vaccinated

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information