1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

74th Golden Globe Awards & red carpet arrivals

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C

I know it's not a requirement; I have seen other actresses wear pants, e.g. Annette Bening at one time, but they looked good in those; Wood did not. She looked like she was imitating the men. JMO.

When we talk about dresses at these 'parties', it's a matter of taste. I simply listed MY taste. Tough if yours is different.

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C

Streep spoke the truth. There are no rules for what an actor says on the stage. Others have made political statements while accepting their awards.

This was actually a good thing because more people watched it than her talking to her friends on a set (for example). She spoke about - 1) Hollywood, 2) Foreign, 3) Press. She tied them all together, and spoke about responsibilities using a concrete example. She didn't just come on the stage and start saying how bad Trump is; she didn't even mention his name but people understood who she was talking about and what the message was- empathy, responsibility, treating others with respect. How can any forum be wrong for giving that kind of message?

3. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Um, you asked "Evan Rachel Wood- why was she dressed like a man?" and Sylvia responded with the actresses explanation for her wardrobe choice. So why the rudeness to someone who is simply answering your question?

Anyway, thankfully, many people have much more open-minded personal tastes than you.

4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It's been noted that nobody really knows who the Hollywood Foreign Press is but that they're pretty sure they aren't members of the press.

5. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

The thing is, she really didn't even say all that much about Trump, and she said nothing about Trump supporters, so I don't see where all the outrage is coming from. Here is the transcript:

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/08/arts/television/meryl-streep-golden-globes-speech.html?_r=0

So, what exactly did she say?
    • Obligatory thank yous
    • Discussion of the diversity of Hollywood (which, actually, many on the left might disagree with :lol:)
    • Short discussion of what an actor's job entails
    • Calling out of Trump for bullying and specifically for mocking that NYT reporter
    • Call for Hollywood to support the concept of a free press
    • Acknowledging her privilege to be an actor
    • Closing reference to Carrie Fisher
    By awards show standards, it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

It's something of a side issue, but she also is perceived as having taken a swipe at sports fans ("you'll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts"). Not that I care, because I don't watch either, but some viewers thought that was a moment of condescension to a wide swath of the population.

BaileyCatts likes this.
  7. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I did see that line about football and mixed martial arts and thought it was ill-considered but here's what I think about the whole issue of condescension and division with regard to things liberal celebrities and others say. I think they should take care with what they say, they have an obligation not to contribute to more divisiveness. But on the other side, there has to be a willingness to hear things as they are meant rather than making an assumption of the worst. And unfortunately a whole industry exists to blare a message that whatever some liberal said was insulting and dismissive of conservative-leaning people.

skatemomaz and PrincessLeppard like this.
  8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Please do. It will keep you thinking for weeks

A well deserved win for Huppert

jenny12, MarieM and IceAlisa like this.
  9. Wyliefan

Yes, I'm afraid that's true.

10. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I thought Viola Davis and Evan Rachel Wood looked great. I loved Emma Stone's dress.

11. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Unfortunately many people on both sides of the divide are not concerned about the divisions. I don't know how we get people back to where they see each other as fellow citizens with different views but who have the interest in common of the good of our country. But it is necessary.

Wyliefan likes this.
  12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Just curious, and pardon me for not getting your comment: You wish who had totally called out Fallon, for what?

watchthis!! likes this.
  13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

I am yay for Meryl. Watched the whole speech. People are always going to have different perceptions and interpretations about what she said. However I think her main message was that acceptance of intolerance and hatred has become the norm in society (and it happens here in Australia too). And the mocking of a disabled person was totally unacceptable. If people in her position can highlight those concerns through that forum then I have no problem with that.

14. screech

screech Well-Known Member

ERW is known for being a bit androgynous. She also wore a suit to the Critic's Choice Awards, and was universally praised as one of the best dressed.

Loved Brie Larson's dress, and also liked Busy Philipps (Michelle Williams' date). I didn't love Emma's. It was a bit too 'twee' for me. I also thought that Mandy Moore, Laura Dern and Felicity Huffman looked fantastic. Anna Kendrick's boobs looked wonky in hers. I think Sofia Vergara was my worst dressed although I didn't like Kerry Washington's either.

I'm not generally a Brad Pitt fan, but holy hell he looked hot! I swear, when he tries, he looks the same as he did 20 years ago.

I agree with Tom bringing up the issues in South Sudan, but what was seen as self-serving was him mentioning how the people there were commenting on his series. I think that if it was a brief mention of the issues, just to bring them to light, instead of going on as he was, it would have been a bit better received. Plus, Tom isn't as 'respected' as most actors who make political statements at these things, which also could have affected the view.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  15. aftershocks

^^ Yes, and hopefully everyone who commented earlier had listened to what Meryl actually said prior to posting.

I think Meryl was very careful, eloquent and pointed about what she said. Her minor joke reference to football and mixed martial arts I'm not sure why or how should be seen as 'condescension,' except by those who are intent on trying to nitpick to find anything she said that can be scrutinized to the nth degree and castigated. On all sides there should be 'an obligation not to contribute to more divisiveness.' That to me is actually part of the point of what Meryl was addressing. People are referred to often as 'knee-jerk liberals.' In this particular case, I think we had some 'knee-jerk conservatives,' here worrying unnecessarily about what Meryl said 'backfiring,' without paying much attention to what she actually said.

The problem here and elsewhere arises as I said earlier when people aren't hearing each other and thus apparently do not want to be clear and agree on what the points of contention actually are. It seems to me that the point of contention started out being those who felt the Globes was not the right forum. A number of people questioned that view and pointed out why at this time it is important to speak out if you so choose in whatever forum exists. At that point the posters who said they agreed with what Meryl said but didn't like her speaking out in that venue became offended at being questioned, and thus began criticizing Meryl and other entertainment stars as elitist liberals. Other posters stood up for what Meryl had actually said, and also pointed out that Meryl Streep is a person of character who stands on her own hard work and her values.

Those who said they objected to the venue (but apparently also objected to Meryl saying anything no matter whether or not they truly agreed with what she said) began throwing more sticks and stones at Democrats, entertainers and elitist liberals. Then a few comments drifted into becoming personal whining re 'Why are posters upset?' Meanwhile others tried to get it back on what the points of disagreement were initially and above all, on what Meryl actually said. :drama:

Just for clarity and definitely not to pick a fight, if you go back and read your posts @Wyliefan, you were one of those contributing to "blaring a message" that what 'liberal' Meryl said would be construed as "insulting and dismissive of conservative-leaning people."

If you recognize that the industry exists that does this against actors, liberals and Democrats who speak out, do you recognize your tendency to do this as well, under the guise of presenting a differing point of view? I see my tendency to be excited about my views and to share them strongly. But I always try to stick to what has actually been said, and to address what has been said. To have a free and clear exchange of ideas and to agree to disagree on policy and ideology differences is one thing. Too often the points of actual contention are overshadowed by negative assumptions, misinterpretations, past grudges over minor disagreements and becoming personally offended rather than being clear about what the main issue under discussion is in the first place.

If you agree with what Meryl said, great. If you take issue with any part of what she said, fine. Spell that out. Why quibble about the venue, and why worry about what she said so-called 'backfiring'? I'm sure Meryl thought carefully about what she planned to say, and I'm hopeful that her words have made a difference to the majority of people in this country and around the world who will be inspired and energized not to cower down in fear, and not to give in to the normalization of a rich, elitist, thin-skinned bully and panderer who opportunistically ran as a Republican in part because he vindictively disliked President Obama.

What Meryl said is also currently being discussed in the Dangers of a Trump Presidency thread in Politically Incorrect. So the conversation can continue over there more 'appropriately'.

16. Wyliefan

You misunderstand me, @aftershocks. I agreed with @BlueRidge's point that "a whole industry exists to blare a message that whatever some liberal said was insulting and dismissive of conservative-leaning people." To say that "whatever some liberal said" would be construed as insulting, etc., to use your phrase, is an entirely different thing. The first is a direct accusation. The second is a description of a particular mentality and action.

17. allezfred

allezfred Fahrenheit Sucks! Get With The Programme! Staff Member

Saying people shouldn't mock the disabled is polarising?

my little pony likes this.
  18. aftershocks

^^ Apparently you are resorting to semantics and splitting hairs to avoid responding to the main points I addressed in my post. And that's your prerogative. To each their own 'mentality and action.'

19. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Well-Known Member

Saw this at Wikipedia:

Wikipedia page for the HFPA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Foreign_Press_Association

aftershocks likes this.
  20. Wyliefan

No, not at all! That isn't what I meant. I was responding to this from asli:

That, I think, is a polarizing attitude. Artists -- and the rest of us -- should be willing to take a stand against anything that's wrong, whether it comes from liberals or conservatives. But it seemed to me asli was making a pretty gargantuan assumption that the wrong would always come from one side and never from the other. Which just isn't realistic, in any society. Goodness knows there's always lots of wrong to go around.

21. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Thanks for finding the Wikipedia article. There's been numerous write-ups and even a documentary detailing that the HFPA is a bit of an opaque organization and many well-respected journalists don't even know who some of those journalists are. I guess they are press in the loosest definition of the word.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jan/11/news/OE-WAXMAN11

http://gulfnews.com/leisure/movies/...hollywood-foreign-press-association-1.1958198

This article below mocks their Wikipedia and official website description:

http://www.swiftfilm.com/why-the-golden-globes-are-a-sham/

I started looking more into the HFPA after seeing this documentary:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/jan/24/pressandpublishing.film

I then read a few write-ups about Oscar season, what goes on in Oscar campaigning, how "dirty" some of the nominees felt in having to be pimped out and schmooze (they claim the Globes require the most ass kissing), etc. It's a really dirty business. Although, I think it's easier to get HFPA to vote for you. You just have to be nice in a way that a celeb is nice to an eager fan. The Academy is really about back dealing and ensuring future business. The actors and creatives are probably not so in-tuned to that but I think the business folks are. It's like figure skating politicking. The skaters themselves don't do the dirty work, but the officials and coaches do.

22. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I think you made a gargantuan assumption regarding Asli's post which was simply in response to your post, this thread, and in particular the backlash from conservatives regarding artists who speak out. Her response was more against the idea that artists and others shouldn't speak out because conservatives will find offense to these thoughts/words/ideas coming from the liberal elite.

That's how I read it anyways. :shuffle:

ballettmaus, aftershocks and Vash01 like this.
  23. Wyliefan

I may have misunderstood her. But I could only go by what it sounded like.

24. aftershocks

^^ Oh well, @Wyliefan (re your #170 post), you are resorting to semantics and splitting hairs again. You seem to prefer taking that route instead of directly addressing clear questions by owning up to your actual political beliefs. You can take issue with @Asli's specific phrasing, but the point remains, why does anyone find what Meryl had to say 'polarizing'?

I think many artists focus on their craft and their particular mode of creative expression and that becomes the way they speak out. Other artists, like Meryl Streep, for example may feel more strongly about their responsibility as citizens (and as persons who have through their art achieved a level of renown), and thus they decide to take a more vocal stance politically, and in this instance also in terms of human decency.

The polarization arises from actually refusing to hear what we are each saying, and running away from the bugaboo of racial strife and discrimination that is the underpinning of our American society, and what many (but not all) conservative Republicans are antsy about and often engage in on the down low, while professing to really be for fairness and 'free exchange of ideas.' Obviously, there are Democrats and liberals who engage in forms of discrimination as well. But the Republicans unfortunately became notorious for using the 'race card' both overtly and surreptitiously to woo the votes of former southern Democrats.

25. screech

screech Well-Known Member

The HFPA tend to follow a trend:
    - Reward first season shows (The Crown, Felicity, Alias, Jane the Virgin...)
    - Reward 'big names' - big names draw in viewers and sponsorship $$, so they usually at least get nominated (see "The Tourist" and the nominations for Angelina and Johnny, Lady Gaga winning last year)

Basically, if you're not a big name, a first timer, or for some reason insanely popular, you usually aren't going to win. There's times it's impossible not to reward outstanding performances, though without huge backlash.

The Oscars have a huge amount of promotion. I still remember the laughter about Melissa Leo's 'consider me' campaign when she won for The Fighter. She (and her team) were definitely mocked. And stars with the big name supporters usually win, because they have clout within the Academy. Though it was an upset for Natalie Portman not to win at the Globes, she has been somewhat famously supported this year by Academy heavy hitters like Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts, who are well liked by Members, who can think "if Hanks likes her, then we might as well too."
    Casey Affleck this year has the support of Oscar darlings like Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, and the Academy is choosing to ignore the sexual harassment allegations against him (not that these affect his performance this year, which is supposed to be really good).

And there is a lot of persuasion in the Academy voters. I have a relative who is a low ranking voting member, and his wife mentioned that there have been times that voters have been told by high up members that "it would be very nice if person X won the Oscar this year." Not outright informing them of who to vote for, but definitely stating a preference.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    VIETgrlTerifa likes this.
  26. aftershocks

Thanks for bringing out the behind-the-scenes politicking and jockeying that goes on during the awards season. Personally, I think that Natalie Portman should be recognized for directing and starring in A Tale of Love & Darkness. IMO, Portman is a competent actor but without great range. I think Portman is wonderful intellectually and often emotionally, but I too often see her acting the part with some effort instead of simply being the character. She did an excellent job with her first directorial project. It's very obvious that it was a labor of love. OTOH, what I have seen of Natalie Portman in Jackie I think is not very good.

But yeah, Portman is definitely beloved and protected by a number of Hollywood stars of stature. Maybe some people are supporting Portman for Jackie, because they love her work on the smaller independent film, which did not reach wide audiences.

27. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I think it was a particularly appropriate forum because the Foreign Press hosts it. Even if its members don't actually do journalistic work, they are part of the artistic/literary/journalistic community.

And Meryl was speaking to the freedom of the press as protected by the constitution, and asking both the Foreign Press and everyone in the room to support the "Committee to Protect Journalism" (or something very close to that). She called for journalism to hold "power to account."

Also, if speaking out against disrespect and bullying as she did is 'polarizing', then I'm all for it. She made that point that Trump's show of disrespect to the journalist, as a person of power and privilege, serves as a model gives others permission to do the same.

Meryl has always had a bit of a political leaning - she narrated a (very wonderful) TV documentary on the feminist movement. She spoke very passionately on behalf of Hillary at the DNC and obviously had much invested in her. So, it's no surprise that is very, very gutted with the election outcome (like so many others).

28. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

This isn't my favourite pant suit - particularly didn't like the huge bow tie - but the message is important. Women's gowns at award shows are sometimes a bit much IMO, so it's nice for someone to point out that women do have a choice.

Jody Foster wore a similar outfit once - I think when she received her Oscar for the film about rape.

Also, I really dislike all the dresses which show half or more of women's boobs, minus the nipples. I just don't find it aesthetically pleasing and think that the more typical showing of cleavage is more subtle and sexy.

Those dresses remind me a bit of dresses that were worn in Victorian and earlier times. Those fancy, layered, heavy floor-length gowns with corsets that pushed women's boobs up into a swelling over the gown. Ouch! Especially given that some of those corsets were made of bone.

What did people think of Streep's gown? I thought it was too glittery, especially for Streep.

Vash01 likes this.
  29. aftershocks

I think that Meryl, her work and her words shined much more than what she was wearing last evening. The gown was a miss and forgettable. I had to actually look it up again to unfortunately recall what she was wearing. :p

30. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

No one seemed to have a problem with artists speaking out at the Oscars last year, when they were upset that the Oscars were too white. Why is it okay for artists to be political for one issue but not another one?

Vash01, Habs and skatesindreams like this.