2024 Paradise Coast Classic, June 6-9

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I wasn't sure where to post this since there isn't a thread yet for 2024 summer competitions. The Paradise Coast Classic in FL is this weekend, and there is a livestream on YouTube:

There are entrants in Senior and Junior Ice Dance, Novice-Senior Women, Novice-Junior Men, among others. Start orders and results posted here:

Sylvia

TBD
I wasn't sure where to post this since there isn't a thread yet for 2024 summer competitions.
Just created today: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2024-u-s-club-nqs-competitions.111819/

It's getting rare to have free livestreaming of U.S. club competitions (this is one of the few official videography companies that still does it) so thanks for starting this thread. :)

Livestream(s) will appear here each day: https://www.youtube.com/@gabrielephotollc7212

Friday, June 7 events (in order) include:

8:15 am ET - Intermediate Pattern Dance #1 (American Waltz) - 1 team: Sophia Kartashov/Nicholas Kartashov, both North Jersey FSC [Int8 at the U.S. Dance Final last Nov.]
Novice Pattern Dance #1 (Westminster Waltz) - 2 teams:
Campbell Urban, Washington FSC / Aaron Gutman, Dallas FSC (new team)
Marian Carhart / Denis Bledsoe, both Florida Everblades FSC [Int2 at the U.S. Dance Final last Nov.]

8:45 am ET - Senior RD (3 teams) - results/protocols will be linked from here afterwards: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2024/33988/CAT013SEG015.html
Lucy Hancock / Ilias Fourati, Hungarian National Skating Federation [HUN]
Zoe Larson, Ukranian Figure Skating Federation / Andrii Kapran, Florida Everblades FSC [UKR] - also listed for FD on Saturday
Layla Karnes, National Ice Skating Association of UK Ltd / Liam Carr, Panthers FSC [GBR]
Junior RD (1 new team): Hana Maria Aboian, Peninsula SC / Daniil Veselukhin, Broadmoor SC [he was J12 at the Dance Final with his previous partner, Jane Calhoun]
Junior FD on Saturday also includes Giselle Avril Egenas, Skate Sweden / Jonathan Young [his debut for SWE?]

11:45 am ET - Junior Men SP (1) - Allan Fisher who recently announced he will represent France this season
Senior Women SP (4) includes Alina Bonillo (J13 at Nationals & listed in USFS' ISP)
Junior Women SP (4) includes Egypt's 1st JGP competitor, Hannah Dabees and Courali Clay (in ISP) eta on June 7 that Clay WD.

Lucas Appel and Amal Israilova are among those listed for the Senior Solo Rhythm Dance on Saturday and the FD on Sunday.

Last edited:

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Thanks for flagging the livestream! The early start for the senior dancers meant that I could catch Karnes/Carr and the rest of the junior/senior warm-up group on my lunch break.

Anyway, disco paso is certainly a choice that the technical committee made.

Hancock/Fourati - Disco (Donna Summer) They seemed cautious but were committed to the presentation and really vamping it up before 9am. I think disco is a good fit for them, but it also felt pretty similar to last season's programmes. Their music cut out part way through but the ref didn't blow the whistle so they gamely kept going. Long discussion with the ref at the end but they didn't reskate.

Larson/Kapran have a very fun RD. I'm not sure which dance style they were going for, but it has a definite early sixties Carnaby Street vibe, including lots of smoking a cig mimeography (my problematic fave).

Karnes/Carr - Beatles (Come Together / Twist and Shout / Get Back) Very messy outing, especially for Liam (his twizzles are so British :lol: ) but Layla giving it the max with the facial expressions, as always. Very Kerrs-esque reverse assisted jump in the choreo rhythm sequence. I think they have the bones of a solid programme but it needs some reworking including a new music edit.

Overall, none of the senior teams really seemed competition ready and looked like they were using this as an opportunity to test out their new programmes and start to get their competition legs back. And I'm not thrilled to see the return of the short axis in the RD.

Aboian/Veselukin - Disco (Blondie - Heart of Glass, and another piece) Compared with the seniors they seemed very zippy and really ready to compete. They're not a good match physically at the moment (he seems pretty tall, she's still a kid) but I assume she's not done growing so although they look pretty uncomfortable in hold I'm not feeling too many sympathy pains for her shoulders. She is a much stronger skater and performer than his previous partner and, while the programme wasn't particularly memorable, they seemed really secure technically. I assume their aim is to come out strong in Dallas and Lake Placid and hope to pick up a JGP spot; with all the flux in the US junior dance scene at the moment, I think they should be in the mix.

coralline

Thanks for the report!I totally missed the whole RD,is there anywhere to rewatch it?

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks for the report!I totally missed the whole RD,is there anywhere to rewatch it?
Yesterday's livestream video was made unlisted after the livestream ended last night and then became "unavailable" while I was trying to rewatch so thanks very much to @Belsornia for sharing your impressions!
Hancock/Fourati - Disco (Donna Summer) They seemed cautious but were committed to the presentation and really vamping it up before 9am. I think disco is a good fit for them, but it also felt pretty similar to last season's programmes. Their music cut out part way through but the ref didn't blow the whistle so they gamely kept going. Long discussion with the ref at the end but they didn't reskate.
Hancock/Fourati got a reskate this morning after the 2 free dances were done - Donna Summer's "Love To Love You Baby" and "Bad Girls" (music stopped during the latter yesterday).

Hana Maria Aboian/Daniil Veselukhin teamed up late last year and I enjoyed them very much, especially their Mozart medley FD earlier today. She skates with a charming expression and nice extensions.
54.41 in RD - protocol: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2024/33988/SEGM016.html
84.06 in FD - protocol: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2024/33988/SEGM049.html

Larson/Kapran's first RD piece yesterday was "Rich Man's Frug" from Sweet Charity, IIRC.
Their FD is to Love Story - orchestral music with "Where Do I Begin?" (sung by Andy Williams) in the middle - FD protocol: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2024/33988/SEGM050.html

Saturday's livestream in the Blue rink (don't think it can be rewound while live; will delete link if it becomes "unavailable" again afterwards): [ETA that this video was made unavailable afterwards]
Intermediate & Novice FD are scheduled to start at 11:30 am ET.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information