2023 Canadian National Championships will be in Oshawa, ON - Jan. 9-15, 2023

lexeoe

they finally landed it. i remember them bidding for 2015 which went to kingston.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Oh my. This could work but it will have to be scheduled the right way. When there was Adult Nationals in Canada, it included adult synchro, but the synchro events and the other events alternated throughout the day in the same rink, and it was a logistical nightmare. Also synchro judges sit on a higher platform than judges at other events (so they can see the teams' patterns and moves). It doesn't work to have synchro judges and non-synchro judges using the same seating.

Long story short, if the synchro events have a separate ice surface of their own, or if they're scheduled on their own day(s) and the arena is configured appropriately, this will be great. I really hope that's what SC is planning.

Last edited:

thumbyskates

Oh my. This could work but it will have to be scheduled the right way. When there was Adult Nationals in Canada, it included adult synchro, but the synchro events and the other events alternated throughout the day in the same rink, and it was a logistical nightmare. Also synchro judges sit on a higher platform than judges at other events (so they can see the teams' patterns and moves). It doesn't work to have synchro judges and non-synchro judges using the same seating.

Long story short, if the synchro events have a separate ice surface of their own, or if they're scheduled on their own day(s) and the arena is configured appropriately, this will be great. I really hope that's what SC is planning.
It is no longer true that synchronized judges sit higher at Nationals than SPD judges. They sit at the same height optimally (though it varies usually due to rink logistics, but it's preferable to sit at the normal height these days).

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Damn, I can make day trips out!

...will it be worth current gas prices? I'll have to consider...

dramagrrl

Excellent. Skate Canada in Mississauga and Canadians in Oshawa will help make up for events that have been cancelled in the last two years due to you-know-what.

shutterbug

I'll probably have to splurge on a hotel for this one though - it's a bit far to drive back and forth from KW every day. If anyone has any hotel suggestions, I'm all ears! :)
Never having been to Oshawa before I have no idea if this is a good suggestion or not :lol:, but since it looks like the parking options at the arena are pretty limited, I decided to go with a hotel within walking distance. There are two, a La Quinta that’s a 2 minute walk away, and a Holiday Inn, that’s a 7 minute walk. Made reservations at both, will check the updated reviews after a post crud summer season and make a decision closer to the event.

Two challenges this year: tentatively I think Winnipeg and Regina.
I have heard Winnipeg as well, but nothing about 2 challenges (?).

barbarafan

Never having been to Oshawa before I have no idea if this is a good suggestion or not :lol:, but since it looks like the parking options at the arena are pretty limited, I decided to go with a hotel within walking distance. There are two, a La Quinta that’s a 2 minute walk away, and a Holiday Inn, that’s a 7 minute walk. Made reservations at both, will check the updated reviews after a post crud summer season and make a decision closer to the event.

I have heard Winnipeg as well, but nothing about 2 challenges (?).
Too bad it is not Montreal

doritos

My sources tell me that the parking at the rink in Oshawa is indeed very limited, unless they develop some sort of sub-lot somewhere.

They have also told me the following:
Junior and Senior Challenge is the first weekend of December in Winnipeg
Novice and Pre-Novice Challenge is the last weekend of January in Regina
Novice Nationals in Calgary the week before Jr Worlds in the same facility (Winsport)

DE93

My sources tell me that the parking at the rink in Oshawa is indeed very limited, unless they develop some sort of sub-lot somewhere.

They have also told me the following:
Junior and Senior Challenge is the first weekend of December in Winnipeg
Novice and Pre-Novice Challenge is the last weekend of January in Regina
Novice Nationals in Calgary the week before Jr Worlds in the same facility (Winsport)
Guess I should get a new winter coat 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information