2022 US Nats Sr Women FS - Ac-Centu-Tchu-Hate the Positive

becca

Almost all of the top women in the US have suffered some kind of major injury in their careers. A 3+3, which is what the maximum is for most Japanese and Russian women, is not going to be an automatic catalyst for injury and not being reasonable, much to the disappointment of some posters.
Yeah the US women have injury’s too. The Korean women seem to have great jumps too. I personally think if they went clean the current US seniors are behind them.

I think this is a developmental thing.

Bosha

I don't know that Tara would have been doing the same jump content if all her URs were actually called. :shuffle:
I attended '98 Nationals and sat in the Lutz corner. Tara didn't do Lutzes at practice or in competition. When she picked her left skate was on an inside edge and her pick was more than a foot to the right. Her edge jumps were tiny and may have been cheated. Don't get me started about her whipped axel. Her speed, power and ice coverage were at the bottom of the top two groups. No reputable coach today would have her doing those jumps in competition. If Tara were skating today, she might be at the top, but she would have had to learn proper technique.

VGThuy

I attended '98 Nationals and sat in the Lutz corner. Tara didn't do Lutzes at practice or in competition. When she picked her left skate was on an inside edge and her pick was more than a foot to the right. Her edge jumps were tiny and may have been cheated. Don't get me started about her whipped axel. Her speed, power and ice coverage were at the bottom of the top two groups. No reputable coach today would have her doing those jumps in competition. If Tara were skating today, she might be at the top, but she would have had to learn proper technique.
It’s kind of crazy how she turned it around at the Olympics where she was flying across the ice and skating easily from end to end, from what I remember. She really did skate at the Olympics in a way that was a level or two above her usual even though she had some excellent skates under her belt by then.

Bosha

It’s kind of crazy how she turned it around at the Olympics where she was flying across the ice and skating easily from end to end, from what I remember. She really did skate at the Olympics in a way that was a level or two above her usual even though she had some excellent skates under her belt by then.
It's difficult to judge speed on TV, though. Tara did go for it, but she was tiny and the camera focus on her tiny self made her seem speedier than she was. Bobek was the fastest, and blasted past Tara in practice. I hope that Nicole is okay these days.

Simone411

Crazy about Jason, Karen's Spiral & Michelle Kwan
Well, I saw during the Mens short programs earlier where they announced the ladies Olympic team. I already knew that it would more than likely include Alyssa. Congrats to Mariah, Karen and Alyssa.

I'm keeping with reality here. Maybe if Alyssa could do three or four triple axel combinations (triple triples), she may have a chance. For any of our ladies to really have a chance, the Russian ladies would have to fall on all their quads, triple axels, and all their combinations. That's about as likely as the cow jumping over the moon and pigs growing wings in order to fly.

We might as well also say that Jack wasn't nimble, Jack wasn't quick. Jack didn't jump over the candle stick. He stepped on it and crushed it.

If our girls are at least in the top ten, that would be an accomplishment. Wishing them the best and they should be proud of themselves no matter what.

Simone411

Crazy about Jason, Karen's Spiral & Michelle Kwan
The US, and likewise Japanese ladies, may not have the quads and triple axels, but I do enjoy watching them more. It will take quads to beat the Russians, but I also don’t want to see other countries start up an assembly line to mass produce girls with sketchy technique.
Absolutely, and I totally agree. I've always loved the artistry of the skaters. I don't necessarily like the technical aspect if they don't include the artistry. I much rather see skaters like Karen and Jason Brown than a robot that only does quad jumps, etc. Sometimes, I miss the good old days when the artistry meant something. I wish they would bring it back period.

becca

Absolutely, and I totally agree. I've always loved the artistry of the skaters. I don't necessarily like the technical aspect if they don't include the artistry. I much rather see skaters like Karen and Jason Brown than a robot that only does quad jumps, etc. Sometimes, I miss the good old days when the artistry meant something. I wish they would bring it back period.
I feel like Kamila does have artistry though that’s why she is special.

Maximillian

RIP TA
It's difficult to judge speed on TV, though. Tara did go for it, but she was tiny and the camera focus on her tiny self made her seem speedier than she was. Bobek was the fastest, and blasted past Tara in practice. I hope that Nicole is okay these days.
...if you say so...

Badams

Kamila is special, she's a once in a generation skater, lumping her in with the 'Russians' as people tend to do, does her a disservice. The skates she's given this Autumn are some of the best I've seen from a woman in a long time.
I agree about Kamila. She is a beautiful skater. And she has the big tricks.

Carolla5501

So I’m watching the replay of the event I was at this weekend and just realized that the skater down the hall from me who played with my dog was Jill Heiner. I must’ve seen this young lady about seven times and didn’t put it together until just now. 😂

Last edited:

livetoskate

So I’m watching the replay of the event I was at this weekend and just realized that the skater down the hall from me who played with my dog was Jill Heiner. I must’ve seen this young lady about seven times and didn’t put it together until just now. 😂
You should've taken a picture with her. She did great. It was my first time noticing her as a skater.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
The lack of speed and power and wonky jump technique no way is Isabeau she getting quads or a 3A. She's one growth spurt away from struggling to even land her 3-3's. I hope i'm proven wrong but she needs to go to a top coach like Raf and work on those jumps and maybe work with Jeremy and Massimo to work on her skating skills and speed. She does have the IT factor so i hope she doesn't just become another wunderkind who's done at 16.
Late to the party here. I found her major slowdowns and the torso going nearly parallel to the ice prior to jumps incredibly distracting. Posture is lovely (though stiff through the shoulders and neck) and her poise and arms and many jump landings are also great. But she has GOT to fix that jump technique.
Yep, and it's not the first time.

It happened in 2015, when Jason Brown was handed the championship over a superior Adam Rippon and Max Aaron, and again in 2016, when Adam (with watered down content) was given the title over a 4-quad FS by Nathan Chen (who got third).

For some reason, USFSA has gone for sentimentality over cutting-edge competitors (at times).
I really think USFSA needs to look at what they encourage. I mean most of our senior ladies are not even doing consistent good 3/3s let alone quads or triple axels.
I’ll never understand why some people don’t get the concept that QUALITY MATTERS. Eked out, crappy quads with questionable landings will (and should) ALWAYS get lower GOE than very well done triples with great height, difficult entries, beautiful air position, glide on landings, and a sense of “wow, that looked easy!” Sometimes this makes up for “easier” content. Along with really excellent other elements. See tech score, 2008 worlds LP, Buttle vs. Joubert.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
that was a really, really long shot. Plus, Liu was as likely to fall on her 3A attempt so, why not go for it. Kostornaia lost her nerve and won't attempt the 3A anymore and look where she landed. You can do them in practice forever, but you've got to try them in competition Sure, she didn't plan to fall, but I agree with the coach and having her go for it.

Kostornaya attempted 3a in every FS this year. What are you talking about?

becca

Late to the party here. I found her major slowdowns and the torso going nearly parallel to the ice prior to jumps incredibly distracting. Posture is lovely (though stiff through the shoulders and neck) and her poise and arms and many jump landings are also great. But she has GOT to fix that jump technique.

I’ll never understand why some people don’t get the concept that QUALITY MATTERS. Eked out, crappy quads with questionable landings will (and should) ALWAYS get lower GOE than very well done triples with great height, difficult entries, beautiful air position, glide on landings, and a sense of “wow, that looked easy!” Sometimes this makes up for “easier” content. Along with really excellent other elements. See tech score, 2008 worlds LP, Buttle vs. Joubert.
Last I checked Ilia was the only who did not fall in the top four. When I talk about rewarding technical ability I mean good ability

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information