2022 Russian Junior Nationals, Jan. 19-23, Saransk

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
30,000+ people were watching the last 2 Sofias! Evgenia Medvedeva was the commentator, right?

Top 3 most likely going to Junior Worlds:

Sofia AKATEVA Moscow, CSO "Sambo-70", department "Crystal" ISO 237.09 1 1
Sofia SAMODELKINA Moscow, SShOR CSKA them. S.A. beetle ISO 213.73 2 4
Sofia MURAVIEVA Moscow, Academy of FC "Angely Plushenko" ISO 211.62 6 2

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Junior pairs is going to kill me. I want Kostikovich to do well so badly, and she's doomed. She suffers from the dreaded Polina curse. And, I'm a fan. Poor kid.

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
Top 5 Junior men:
1 Ilya YABLOKOV Moscow, School "Moskvich" ISO 227.99 3 4 (144.77 in FS)
2 Nikolai UGOZHAEV St. Petersburg, ANO "SK FC Tamara Moskvina" St. Petersburg 227.82 6 3 (147.95 in FS)
3 Artyom KOVALEV Moscow, School of FC Alexander Volkov ISO 225.65 2 5 (140.63 in FS)
4 Nikolay KOLESNIKOV Moscow, CSO "Sambo-70", department "Crystal" ISO 224.96 10 1 (153.17 in FS)
5 Egor RUKHIN Moscow, SShOR CSKA them. S.A. beetle ISO 223.96 1 7 (137.87 in FS)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Well, K/B finishing 6th in this field was pretty good. Not good enough for them to have a hope of going to junior worlds, but good. What a well skated event. Hope the FS is as good.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love!
These Three Sofias could sweep the Women’s podium in Beijing, if allowed. Even with shorter programs, as Juniors, they could probably rack-up more points than most non-Russian senior competitors.
Yeah, even PCS. Let’s be real - the TES tends to drive the PCS.

Amy L

Yes, she commented junior men & women events here.
And Jon Guerreiro commented junior ice dance.

I thought that was him but I was too lazy to go back and check! It's funny that when he's speaking Russian he'll say English words in a Russian accent instead of his Australian accent.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Amazed again by these young girls but ouch the falls for veronika they looked painful.
Based on the coaches body language as a therapist I would say Plushenko appears to be the most empathetic with his skaters, even if awkward at times. Not that I have been his biggest fan he does seem nice with them. But who knows.
I’m excited for juniors worlds this year.

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!

Livestream for Saturday, Jan. 22: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyeUwZkj1Zw

Ice Dancing - Free Dance Starting order
STN. Name Nation Current Rank points

Warm Up Group 1
1 Polina KOCHERYGINA / Evgeny ARTYUSHCHENKO Moscow, school №2 ISO 15 52.29
2 Anna KOLOMENSKAYA / Artyom FROLOV Moscow Region, SSHOR im. Yu.E. Lyapkina MOB 14 56.83
3 Elizaveta MALEINA / Grigory RODIN Moscow region, secondary school "Odintsovo", UOR No. 1 MOB 13 57.81
4 Sofia ALEKSOV / Ilya VLADIMIROV St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg High School St. Petersburg 12 59.75
5 Taisiya LINCHEVSKAYA / Timur BABAEV-SMIRNOV Moscow, CSO "Sambo-70", department "Crystal" ISO 11 60.13

Warm Up Group 2
6 Sofia KACHUSHKINA / Oleg MURATOV Moscow, School "Moskvich" ISO 10 60.38
7 Ekaterina RYBAKOVA / Ivan MAKHNONOSOV Moscow, School "Blue Bird" ISO 9 62.62
8 Anna SHERBAKOVA / Egor GONCHAROV Moscow, Sokolniki school ISO 8 62.71
9 Ekaterina KATASHINSKAYA / Matvey GRACHEV Moscow region, secondary school im. Yu.E. Lyapkina MOB 7 63.94
10 Margarita SVISTUNOVA / Dmitry STUDENIKIN Orenburg region, secondary school No. 1 ORN 6 64.22

Warm Up Group 3
11 Alisa OVSYANKINA / Matvey SAMOKHIN Moscow region, UOR No. 1, secondary school im. Yu.E. Lyapkina MOB 5 65.26
12 Sofia LEONTIEVA / Daniil GORELKIN Moscow, UOR No. 4 im. AND I. Gomel ISO 4 67.10
13 Irina KHAVRONINA / Dario CHIRIZANO Moscow region, UOR No. 1 MOB 3 71.46
14 Sofia TYUTYUNINA / Alexander SHUSTITSKII Moscow, Sokolniki school ISO 2 72.81
15 Vasilisa KAGANOVSKAYA / Valery ANGELOPOL Moscow, SC "Megasport" ISO 1 72.95

Pair Skating - Free Skating Starting order
STN. Name Nation Current Rank points

Warm Up Group 1
1 Maya SHEGAY / Igor SHAMSHUROV St. Petersburg, Star Ice School St. Petersburg 12 55.45
2 Anna KIREEVA / Ilya IVANOV Perm region, school "Start" PfP e11 59.96
3 Varvara CHEREMNYKH / Daniil BUTENKO Moscow, secondary school №2 ISO 10 62.04
4 Ekaterina STORUBLEVTSEVA / Artyom GRITSAYENKO St. Petersburg, ANO "SK FC Tamara Moskvina" St. Petersburg 9 63.88

Warm Up Group 2
5 Ekaterina PETUSHKOVA / Evgeny MALIKOV St. Petersburg, SC FC Tamara Moskvina St. Petersburg 8 65.72
6 Ksenia AKHANTIEVA / Valery KOLESOV Krasnodar Territory, CSC for FC KRD 7 67.80
7 Polina KOSTYUKOVICH / Alexey BRYUKHANOV Moscow, Vorobyovy Gory School ISO 6 67.81
8 Ekaterina GEINISH / Ilya MIRONOV Moscow, SSHOR "Vorobyovy Gory" ISO 5 68.30

Warm Up Group 3
9 Anastasia MUKHORTOVA / Dmitry EVGENEV Moscow, Vorobyovy Gory School ISO 4 69.84
10 Ekaterina CHIKMAREVA / Matvey YANCHENKOV Perm region, school "Start" PfP 3 70.04
11 Natalia Khabibullina / Ilya KNYAZHUK Moscow, school №2 ISO 2 71.60
12 Yulia ARTEMIEVA / Mikhail NAZARYCHEV Perm region, school "Start" PfP 1 74.30

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It's really impressive that Russia will have three teams/skaters in all 4 disciplines at both junior and senior worlds and the Olympics.

mjb52

This junior pairs team is incredible and apparently it's only the first group? What are the other ones going to be like!

hanca

Values her privacy
Petushkova/Malikov, Kostiukovich/Briukhanov and Akhanteva/Kolesov were marked quite generously, considering all the mistakes they made. But it still won’t be enough.

Karen-W

These Three Sofias could sweep the Women’s podium in Beijing, if allowed. Even with shorter programs, as Juniors, they could probably rack-up more points than most non-Russian senior competitors.
Yeah, even PCS. Let’s be real - the TES tends to drive the PCS.
Doubt that they could sweep the Beijing podium. Akatieva could definitely land on the podium, but the other two - those scores don't indicate they are unbeatable by any stretch. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Isabeau Levito manages to beat one or both of them at Jr Worlds.

hanca

Values her privacy
It will be hilarious if Artemeva/Nazarychev go to junior worlds because they want the title, and they will only get another bronze. I don’t think international judges will hold them up the same way as the Russian judges do, and I think Khabibulina/Kniazhuk and Chicmareva/Yanchenkov will get higher technical mark than them. They have harder jumps, the quality of their elements is better…

Mayra

I watched the last group of ice dancers and wow, the talent!

Kaganovskaya and Agelopol have incredible chemistry together. They were second overall but they have it. You just know they are going to be special. :swoon:

Khavronina is a star. I think she outshines him somewhat, but the quality of their skating is undeniable.

I would have liked Leontieva and Gorelkin more if they hadn't skated to that horrific version of Imagine.

Even the 5th place finishers Ovsiankina and Samohkin had an entertaining, if a little rough, program to Michael Jackson. Not surprised to see Morozov listed as a choreographer for this. :lol: They're only 14/13 years of age!

I actually enjoyed the juniors here more so than I did the seniors at Russian Nationals. :respec:

Amy L

Kaganovskaya and Agelopol have incredible chemistry together. They were second overall but they have it. You just know they are going to be special. :swoon:

They are ridiculously pretty, and that in of itself can get you far in ice dance. :glamor: Their personalities come of as rather sweet as well. They're always so cuddly in the knc with K&O.

I would have liked Leontieva and Gorelkin more if they hadn't skated to that horrific version of Imagine.

Weren't they the team that had the RD to Montero? :lol: Well, now we know we'll get interesting music choices out of them.

Mayra

Weren't they the team that had the RD to Montero? :lol: Well, now we know we'll get interesting music choices out of them.
Were they? I need to see this :lol:

At this point I think I would have preferred that than this version of Imagine. I had to mute the program and watch them without the music. Their performance improved so much after that. :rofl:

Mayra

I had the Montero team wrong, it was Aleksova/Vladimirov:

I'm disappointed they didn't have costumes to match. So much potential for :inavoid: that they missed out on, and yet still better than Imagine :rofl:

Amy L

Yes, she commented junior men & women events here.
And Jon Guerreiro commented junior ice dance.

I'm just catching up on Saturday's events. Alexei Tikhonov was the guest commentator for the pairs LP!

I think we will see plenty of splits after this season!

I'm guessing Akhanteva/Kolesov will be one of the first to announce. Didn't they already break up and reform at least once before? They went from JW medalists to not even placing in the top half at Junior Nats. I wish Kostiukovich would get away from the Mozer team, they ruined that girl's whole style. I think she's fine with Briukhanov but she's looked miserable for at least three seasons already.

hanca

Values her privacy
I'm guessing Akhanteva/Kolesov will be one of the first to announce. Didn't they already break up and reform at least once before? They went from JW medalists to not even placing in the top half at Junior Nats. I wish Kostiukovich would get away from the Mozer team, they ruined that girl's whole style. I think she's fine with Briukhanov but she's looked miserable for at least three seasons already.
My guess would be Akhanteva/Kolesov, Kostiukovich/Briukhanov, Petushkova/Malikov and Storublievtseva/Griatsenko are going to split up after this season.

Akhanteva/Kolesov are not progressing. They competed together since the season 2014-2015. If they didn’t manage to get to the top of juniors in the past eight years, I don’t think there is much chance that they will get anywhere in seniors.

Kostiukovich/Briukhanov- I feel sorry for him, exchanging one non jumping partner for another non jumping partner. I like Briukhanov more with Kostiukovich than with Vyslobokova, but I don’t think the partnership has any long term prospects unless they switch the country, and even then then lack of jumps will be a problem. He needs a better partner (one who can jump).He is still junior eligible for another season or two, whereas Kostiukovich is aging out of juniors; it makes sense for him not to switch to seniors and try a new partner in juniors. It seems this strategy worked well for Mironov - Geinish/Mironov were pretty successful this season even though it was their first season together.

P/M and S/G - I think the girls just outgrew their partner. There may be some tall partners available (Volodin appears to be quite tall), but even taller pair men often don’t like tall female partners because why make it harder for themselves if they can have someone shorter… It will be hard for Petushkova and Storublievtseva to find a partner that is tall enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information