2022 Olympic Games Women FS - The Coach, The Cheat, Her Grandpa And His Slobber

Vagabond

So who else read this and got confused about why anyone was referencing Jack, Kate's dad in "The Cutting Edge" and then, after a quick perusal of Wikipedia realized that they were mixing up Jack & Kate's last name (Moseley) with Doug's last name (Dorsey)?
:huh:

quartz

scratching at the light
So, have just caught up with all the comments - good thing this event happened in the morning as I was getting ready for work and getting to work because otherwise I’d have had 5 giant glasses of wine by now.
What a sad sorry mess this all is. I’m trying very hard to focus on Kaori, Kurakova, Loena, and all the other fabulous young women who have spent years and years getting to this place, only to have it so horribly tarnished.
Kaori saved this event, and has earned the right to have a medal placed around her neck and I am so very glad she will get her podium glory.

SLIVER

And she's going to have to answer a loooooooot of questions about doping if coming in France IMO. They'd better make sure while in France they don't use anything because we all know french police loves doping ....
Read an article yesterday saying they retested Trusova and Anna again here after the Valieva debacle. This whole thing is just so damn depressing.

Rafter

Anna is standing by herself backstage holding a stuffed tissue box. No one is speaking to her.

Sasha is sobbing. Johnny says she is saying "I'm not going, I'm not going, I'm not going."

Really sad for Anna in what should be the best day of her life (even though she’s probably doped too).

She was served up a punishment she didn't deserve tonight. If there is any justice, the people around her will be investigated and suspended for a very, very long time.

Well we know the Russian Fed and ROC won’t suspend them. What are the chances the ISU bans them?

Last edited:

wickedwitch

This is probably naive, but I wonder (hope) if Eteri screwed herself with regards to PR in Russia. She spent all week portraying Kamila as an innocent, sweet child... and then she goes and reprimands the child publically after one of the worst moments of the child's life. I would love to see that backfire.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
This is probably naive, but I wonder (hope) if Eteri screwed herself with regards to PR in Russia. She spent all week portraying Kamila as an innocent, sweet child... and then she goes and reprimands the child publically after one of the worst moments of the child's life. I would love to see that backfire.
That's how the coaching works in Russia, though. No sentiments, no emotions and no weakness. I don't think too many people in Russia would be upset about Eteri's reaction, that's what is expected of her.

Holy Headband

listening to Grassl's Spotify playlist
It's not just the 3A, it's the overall lack of consistency, the overall screwing up the SP. She lost by 4 points which would not be hers even if she landed a clean 2A, but it's the 2nd mark where she loses and loses A LOT. That's the lack of consistency, the bad overall impression of the programmes with the falls. She haven't skated a clean programme for who knows how long. If I were a judge I would have given her an even lower 2nd mark.

However, she is the first lady to land a 4f and a 4lz at the Olympics. If Valieva's TE result disqualified, she is also the first lady to land a 4T and a 4S at the Olympics. I wonder whether she realizes it
I think you're right about why her PCS lags behind Scherbakova's, but I also think that just shows how nonsensical and terrible judging has become. The program component marks should reflect what the skater put out on the day of the competition, not how consistent they have been throughout the season/their career, what country they represent, what their skating order was, etc.

The fact is that Trusova's PCS should be half the size of what she gets simply because her transitions, choreo and interpretation are non-existent and her skating skills are very mediocre, but Scherbakova should be getting much, much lower PCS too. Yet Scherbakova's 'grit' and 'consistency' get rewarded under the headings of 'interpretation,' 'skating skills,' etc.

(In reality, it's the flag and the ambitious jump layout that get rewarded, even if the actual jumps are ugly and underrotated, but that's even sadder to contemplate.)

Last edited:

Rafter

Now taken down, probably because of the video copyright. But I snapped a pic so here's the text:

"The girl have just had the worst moment of her life, but this is the first thing Eteri says: 'Why did you let it go? Explain it to me, why. Why did stop fighting? You let it go after that axel. Why?'

That woman is a monster."

Interesting. What a monster indeed.

I noticed on replay when she was in the K&C and she collapsed crying, she did so towards Danny G, not towards Eteri.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Reflecting on all of this, one of the saddest things is that Kamila truly is a talented athlete in her own right and had the potential to perform well in the right, honest way. Eteri and the rest of her team stole that and ultimately ruined her.

Talk about irreparable harm.
well.... we will never know.

probably but not necessarily. The ability to train 1-3hours a day more cannot be overestimated. (not that children SHOULD train 12 hours a day but that is a whole other story...)

Katharina Witt in tears and disgust after it all. She felt so sorry for Kamila and thought that a responsible parent should have taken her away. That I agree with - she should never have started at all.

Nadya

That's how the coaching works in Russia, though. No sentiments, no emotions and no weakness. I don't think too many people in Russia would be upset about Eteri's reaction, that's what is expected of her.
But not all coaches behave that way. Eteri stands out for her coldness even amid the Russian tundra. Tarasova has always been effusive toward her charges, and Mishin seemed sympatico with his.

mpal2

Katharina Witt in tears and disgust after it all. She felt so sorry for Kamila and thought that a responsible parent should have taken her away. That I agree with - she should never have started at all.
Katarina was on Olympic Ice today and had a lot to say. I have a feeling will hear a lot more in the future. She was very passionate about how this will affect figure skating now and going forward.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
I actually think Trusovas reaction is very human-like.

SHe has pulled off something incredible. It's not her fault the judges have been marking her unrealistically in PCS giving her an impression she should be winning. All the high 8s and 9s in PCS are a true scandal.

I think she is incredibly talented, but her time is probably up or very soon will be. Hope I am wrong.

I agree this is the best possible outcome for Russian figure skating. Scherbakova is the good girl that delivered when she needed it the most. Good for her.

I am just happy Kaori has a medal. I didn't dare to hope to be honest.

Asli

And she's going to have to answer a loooooooot of questions about doping if coming in France IMO. They'd better make sure while in France they don't use anything because we all know french police loves doping ....
Yes, doping is a criminal offense in France. An athlete caught doping in a competition in France can be arrested, not be able to leave the country and go to prison.

I remember the 2003 Athletics Worlds in Paris. Many of the top guns had mysteriously decided not to compete. :rofl:

Karen-W

Yes, doping is a criminal offense in France. An athlete caught doping in a competition in France can be arrested, not be able to leave the country and go to prison.

I remember the 2003 Athletics Worlds in Paris. Many of the top guns had mysteriously decided not to come. :rofl:
So, what about the coach of a minor-aged athlete caught doping?

At the rate Eteri is going, she won't be able to travel with her skaters to the US, France and who knows where else by next season for fear of prosecution.

ioana

I actually think Trusovas reaction is very human-like.

I think she is incredibly talented, but her time is probably up or very soon will be. Hope I am wrong.

She actually has enough muscle mass to give me hope for the future. It's entirely possible she won't be able to keep all her quads, but more off ice and better coaching could mean she sticks around for another 4 years. Whether or not that actually happens is very much TBD.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
My take on Trusova's tantrum was that she could have lived with losing to Valieva, but not Scherbakova. I think most of it was around the loss of the gold medal, but the anger at Eteri was palpable and telling, so I can cut her at least a bit of a break there.
The "you knew it" against Eteri was about the participation in the Team Event. Apparently, the girls weren't told who's going to skate. Had Trusova skated the LP, she'd have a gold medal "like everybody else" :lol:

sk9tingfan

So, what about the coach of a minor-aged athlete caught doping?

At the rate Eteri is going, she won't be able to travel with her skaters to the US, France and who knows where else by next season for fear of prosecution.
Just wondering about your statement that Tuberidze would fear being prosecuted. On what basis would the authorities indict and prosecute her (not that I wouldn't like to see that happen)?

becca

The "you knew it" against Eteri was about the participation in the Team Event. Apparently, the girls weren't told who's going to skate. Had Trusova skated the LP, she'd have a gold medal "like everybody else" :lol:
I suspect that the Russia fed/Eteri knew they would get a tantrum from Sasha if Anna skated the team and that’s why they had Kami do both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information