2022 Jr. Worlds Women FS

mattiecat13

I thought Karen Chen had already announced she was concentrating on school next season so I assumed she wouldn’t be competing.

Karen-W

I thought Karen Chen had already announced she was concentrating on school next season so I assumed she wouldn’t be competing.
I suppose this is better left to the US Women’s thread, but I don't think she has said anything beyond the fact that she'll be back at Cornell in the fall. Whether that means she plans to compete is unknown - similar to Vincent. My guess is we probably won't know for sure until we see the GP assignments come out in 2.5 months and they either have assignments or don't.

Trillian

Good for Isabeau, but her jumps just do not compare to the other top finishers. The rest of her skating is gorgeous. Hope she can work on those jumps for next season.

I agree, I was really wincing at her jumps after the three that came before. She’s got a lot of work to do and I worry she could be in for a rough patch if she’s growing at the same time. I know she’ll be on the GP with the full force of USFS hype behind her next year if no rule change prevents it, but I hope the expectations aren’t too much. Her team needs to be able to prioritize fixing those jumps over immediate results right now.

I was impressed with all three of the Korean girls, but like others, I wish they had more interesting packaging. Shin probably has a lot of growing to do too, but her technical foundation is stronger than Isabeau’s.

The last thing I expected was that this event would finally turn me into a Lindsey Thorngren fan, but she was fantastic. She’s made some wonderful progress this year. I do think she’s ready for the GP and I hope she goes into next season with the confidence to keep hitting programs like that.

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
Thorngren and Levito could go 1-2 at senior Nats next year especially if Bell and Chen retire. Or even if they don’t. And Clare is coming along nicely, along with Audrey Shin we have a good young cadre.
If Bradie comes back and is in good shape, I suspect she can still beat them all! I hope she has a few more seasons in her after all she's been through.

zoe111

I agree, I was really wincing at her jumps after the three that came before. She’s got a lot of work to do and I worry she could be in for a rough patch if she’s growing at the same time. I know she’ll be on the GP with the full force of USFS hype behind her next year if no rule change prevents it, but I hope the expectations aren’t too much. Her team needs to be able to prioritize fixing those jumps over immediate results right now.

I was impressed with all three of the Korean girls, but like others, I wish they had more interesting packaging. Shin probably has a lot of growing to do too, but her technical foundation is stronger than Isabeau’s.

The last thing I expected was that this event would finally turn me into a Lindsey Thorngren fan, but she was fantastic. She’s made some wonderful progress this year. I do think she’s ready for the GP and I hope she goes into next season with the confidence to keep hitting programs like that.
i agree with the point on Lindsey Thorngren. i've not really like her skating all year but today for some reason she seemed much better - faster, good jump height, really good spins and more expression. She needs some better packaging overall next year but she was the highlight of the event for me

Karen-W

I'm almost hoping the age increase isn't delayed a season but is implemented this next season. I think Isabeau could use another season on the junior level internationally. The USFS is going to hype the hell out of her and, you're right, compared to the entire flight of skaters before her (Shin, Yun, Thorngren, Wi, and Petrokina) her jumps were really small and tight. She's skated that program better than she did today and was clearly feeling the pressure. She won't fare so luckily on the GP next fall against the likes of Sakamoto, Hendrickx, You, Gubanova, Lee, Kim, Higuchi, Mihara, and, if they're healthy, Kihira & Tennell.
She's also just 14 so she will be on the junior scene for at least the next few seasons, depending on exactly what is passed re: the age increase proposal.
I've been warming to her all season, but this event... She really has drastically improved in so many aspects. She's the US woman I think is most likely to snag a surprise medal on the GP next fall, not Levito.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
World Standings Before and After Jr Worlds

Niina Petrokina 29 STAY at 29
Lindsay Thorngren 49 to 31
Isabeau Levito 82 to 51
Seoyeong Wi 80 to 62
Jia Shin 106 to 63
Ahsun Yun 114 to 68
Clare Seo 102 to 70
Rion Sumiyoshi 119 to 80
Nina Pinzarrone 118 to 86
Rinka Watanabe 137 to 93
Kimmy Repond 196 to 108
Lorine Schild 152 to 125
Lia Pereira 217 to 153
Anna Pezzetta NO RANK to 191
Justine Miclette NO RANK to 233
Olesya Ray NO RANK to 234

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Lovely skate top four. Nice for Isabeau but I fear short lived as she grows and her technique will be an issue with pre rotations and no flow. What a charmer though, great presentation. Hats off to korea, Shin was lovely, I predict a good future with her skills. Great improvement with Lindsay she is going to a force in the near future.

AYS

🌻
Off the top of my head, USA won gold in dance, ladies and men at the 2008 World Junior Championships in Sofia, Bulgaria.
And swept the women's event (Flatt, Zhang, Nagasu).

I am freaking here looking at the results from that year at how incredibly fast 14 years has passed.

Also, almost all of the singles and pair names on the list are retired, but quite a few on the dance list are/were active at least through this past season (Bates won and Poirier, Hubbell, Guerreiro all top 6 with their former partners that year, Guignard and Sorensen further down the list with former partners). That is longevity!

Allskate

I agree that Lindsay has improved significantly since Nationals, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she skates next season.

I love Isabeau's carriage, extension, and musicality, but realistically those qualities aren't going to help her very much compared to the kinds of scores jumps get. I hope she is able to improve the quality of her jumps. (I do like the transitions before and after the loop in her free skate, but that kind of thing will not add a lot to her score.) She did seem calm and like she really enjoyed being out on the ice, which was lovely to see.

Congrats to the American women for delivering under pressure.

And South Korea should be excited about their depth and potential, especially with Shin.

euterpe

World Standings Before and After Jr Worlds

Niina Petrokina 29 STAY at 29
Lindsay Thorngren 49 to 31
Isabeau Levito 82 to 51
Seoyeong Wi 80 to 62
Jia Shin 106 to 63
Ahsun Yun 114 to 68
Clare Seo 102 to 70
Rion Sumiyoshi 119 to 80
Nina Pinzarrone 118 to 86
Rinka Watanabe 137 to 93
Kimmy Repond 196 to 108
Lorine Schild 152 to 125
Lia Pereira 217 to 153
Anna Pezzetta NO RANK to 191
Justine Miclette NO RANK to 233
Olesya Ray NO RANK to 234

chewy

Isabeau’s musical interpretation tops by a mile! Musical spirit! That final Russian-folk-tinged footwork was everything to me. 💗 Joyous end to the odd 2021/22 season.
🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
She brought that program home with the footwork but the first half was too heavy and it was very hard for her to connect to. This is juniors, they are concentrating on getting the elements done which is understandable but I thought that this music could have waited a few years for her.

euterpe

I took a quick look at the current WS and how they would be affected after the purge. Doing the math the way it was last season, Lindsay Thorngren would move up into the top 24 because many of the previous skaters in the top 24 were retired (Miyahara and Liu), injured (Kihara, Tennell), or passed because of strong performances by others (Schott, Kurakova). Isabeau Levito shows up as 26th, with Audrey Shin at 25. If the US formally reports Liu as retired, and the same for Chen if she opts out, then both Levito and Shin would be top 24. Another skater who makes top 24 after the revamp is Canada's Schizas.

Karen-W

She brought that program home with the footwork but the first half was too heavy and it was very hard for her to connect to. This is juniors, they are concentrating on getting the elements done which is understandable but I thought that this music could have waited a few years for her.
Isabeau skated her FS with more lightness and abandon during the JGP in the fall. I suspect that the long season and no competitions for her since Nationals, plus the pressure to win played a factor in what she delivered yesterday. USFS probably should have sent her to Challenge Cup or Egna Spring Trophy to get the competition rust out before Jr Worlds.

Last edited:

Enchanted

And swept the women's event (Flatt, Zhang, Nagasu).

I am freaking here looking at the results from that year at how incredibly fast 14 years has passed.

Also, almost all of the singles and pair names on the list are retired, but quite a few on the dance list are/were active at least through this past season (Bates won and Poirier, Hubbell, Guerreiro all top 6 with their former partners that year, Guignard and Sorensen further down the list with former partners). That is longevity!
I tend go and watch the old junior world results if I get excited about young skater’s talent. For example in 2005 none of the medalists in men’s category won any world medals at the senior level. Ponsero and Dobrin were likely not even expeted to win any senior medals. Oda, however, was clearly more talented than some his peers but never hold it together at senior worlds.

AYS

🌻
I tend go and watch the old junior world results if I get excited about young skater’s talent. For example in 2005 none of the medalists in men’s category won any world medals at the senior level. Ponsero and Dobrin were likely not even expeted to win any senior medals. Oda, however, was clearly more talented than some his peers but never hold it together at senior worlds.
On the other hand, the vast majority of skaters who eventually became Olympic (and world) champions were world junior medalists. Looking at the men, every Olympic champion has been on the jr world podium going all the way back to Boitano, and world jrs just started in '76. Many but not all of the women too. Dance and pairs is like musical partners, with future champs on the podium but almost always with other partners. D/W, V/M, and Papadakis/Cizeron being well known exceptions to that tendency. (ETA: Also Sui/Han, who won 3 consecutive world jr titles!)

Bit of trivia of the day: first world jr bronze medalists in pairs in 1976 were Ashley Cain-Gribble's father and aunt.

Enchanted

P/C were on the junior world podium as well in 2013. Gabriella had some sort of a leg injury in the middle of the competition. It seems the Olympic gold in dance is often won by a couple who have been skating together since childhood.

Trillian

It seems the Olympic gold in dance is often won by a couple who have been skating together since childhood.

This has been true for the last three Olympic champion teams, but hasn’t really been the case otherwise. Those three partnerships aren’t the norm even among the top teams of the current era. Skaters who happen to find a great long term partner at nine or ten years old are very, very lucky - but most will spend those years in junior developing their skills and at some point realize another partner is a better fit in adulthood. (Or one partner retires, etc.) Considering that childhood partnerships often form between kids who are local and convenient to each other, it makes sense that very few of those are built to last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information