2022 Jr. Worlds Men FS

Enchanted

I believe you would find yourself in the minority among the folks here :unsure:
I actually prefer commentary free streams but if there’s going to be commentary, it has to be really substantial. The commentators have to provide the kind of in-depth knowledge you are not necessarily getting by watching the screen and I don’t mean gossips but very small technical details etc.

hoptoad

Haha - I just posted in the US Mens thread that I bet Raf will not be able to resist a talent like Malinin, especially considering his connection to Ilia's parents.
What is his connection to Iia's parents?

I do hope Raf keeps coaching at least part time even if he rarely or never travels

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Just caught up! Ilia is amazing technically and now is starting to show his artistry, will be exciting to watch him develop. Wesley wasn’t as bad as I thought, coming along nicely just needs to get more consistent like his short but has all the tools. Nice to see Gogolov back on track. RAF looking more engaged than I have seen him, he’s not going anywhere lol. Nice to see new skaters for me Mikhail & Tatsuya, JPG circuit will be exciting.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I actually prefer commentary free streams but if there’s going to be commentary, it has to be really substantial. The commentators have to provide the kind of in-depth knowledge you are not necessarily getting by watching the screen and I don’t mean gossips but very small technical details etc.
I tend to agree. If there is commentary, I want it to tell me things I don't know. I'm okay with Ted's approach though.

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think Artunian will continue. (I suspect his wife might push him out of the house otherwise.)

Mishin looks so spry at his age because he's got interests outside the rink and can shut off: gardening, his grandchildren, fishing, etc. I suspect that Arutunian's version of gardening is clearing an acre :).

Allskate

I can't find it now, but there was a video on youtube about comments Raf made this week at Junior Worlds. He apparently said that he would like one of his assistants to take over the main coaching of skaters and Raf would be more of a "mentor." I'm not sure he could resist having the opportunity to play a role in Malinin's skating.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
He apparently said that he would like one of his assistants to take over the main coaching of skaters and Raf would be more of a "mentor."
He already had a practice run with Rippon coaching Bell. In her recent interview with Kelly Rippon, Bell said she didn't spend much time with Arutunian, that they'd speak, and she knew what to do. Malinin isn't in to that point yet, but he has his parents, too.

Allskate

He already had a practice run with Rippon coaching Bell. In her recent interview with Kelly Rippon, Bell said she didn't spend much time with Arutunian, that they'd speak, and she knew what to do. Malinin isn't in to that point yet, but he has his parents, too.
I'm not sure that Adam spent that much time coaching Mariah, either, and Adam hasn't done much coaching in general. Mariah already was established living and training there. I think that most elite skaters would want more committed and experienced coaching than that, especially if they were less experienced and were not already training and living there. It might be that Ilia stays where he is with his parents and ends up just occasionally going to California to see Raf.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I'm not sure that Adam spent that much time coaching Mariah, either, and Adam hasn't done much coaching in general
Why does that matter if he said he wanted to be a mentor to an assistant? It's about the mentoring, not what the assistant does. And as a test run, it worked just fine, given how self-sufficient Bell was, so it wouldn't go terribly wrong. He can apply that to an assistant who is dedicated to coaching, unlike Rippon.

Allskate

Why does that matter if he said he wanted to be a mentor to an assistant?
I didn't say Raf said he wanted to be a mentor to an assistant. It seemed to me that Raf was saying that he wanted to be a mentor to a skater (and seemed to be talking about Ilia as a potential Olympic champion) with one of his assistant coaches doing the coaching. I'm not sure how interested Ilia would be in relocating to California to work primarily with someone other than Raf when things are working well with his current coaching at home and he could just get occasional input from Raf.

The situation was totally different for Mariah because she was experienced and well-established in California and with that training facility and already had a relationship with both Adam and Raf. But, if she were in high school and she wasn't already there, I doubt she and her parents would have moved out there to get coaching from Adam or another coach with occasional mentoring from Raf.

Karen-W

Ilia was out in Irvine for about 3 weeks over Christmas break to work with Raf and I expect he will be out there for at least 1-2 months this summer for more intense training on his quads and combos. As he IS just a junior in HS, I wouldn't expect him to want to relocate for at least another year. By then, Brezina will be a full year into retirement and perhaps more ready to take on the active traveling coach role within Raf's team if Ilia does move out there. But, for all we know, Ilia will stay close to home. Only time will tell.

skateboy

Kind of wondering what Raf is going to do for Ilia that he isn't already getting from his parents. Ilia's technique is pretty great as it is.

Karen-W

Kind of wondering what Raf is going to do for Ilia that he isn't already getting from his parents. Ilia's technique is pretty great as it is.
You do realize Ilia was working with Raf during breaks/summer vacation before the pandemic, right?

Karen-W

No, I didn't. Okay, I stand corrected. ;)
That isn't to take away anything that his parents are doing, because I think that the collaboration between them and Raf is working just fine. But, I do think it's good for Ilia to work with Raf - constructive criticism can often be better received when it's not coming from a parent, no matter how great that parent-child relationship is. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information