2022 Jr. Worlds Men FS

jlai

Question everything
Here's the big question: What will Kaz do with their 2 jgp spots each event? :D Will team Canada benefit?

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
wonderful from Ilia. What a treat to see him grow over the last couple of years to take the JW crown by so many points!

This would have (if we compared points ;-)) been the third highest FS at Worlds. Just shows he good he is. At Worlds he had a big mistake at the quad sal which threw him off - here no problems.

Cannot wait to see what he will do in the next few years. He has the potential for everything!

Trillian

Wesley Chiu was… not what I was expecting given all of the hype :shuffle:. His technique on the quad toe seems very strange.

I enjoyed him quite a bit in the short. In the long, his nerves were very apparent and the performance quality probably would have been better if he wasn’t overreaching on the jump content. Still, I enjoyed him a lot considering how much I hated his music in both programs, so there’s definitely something there. I’m looking forward to watching him develop.

Louis

Private citizen
Not sure if it was Ilia or his coaching team, but either way I’m happy that he removed two unnecessary risk elements:
  • hands over his head on the 4S, which caused the terrible fall at Worlds
  • 3Lz+3Lo replaced with 3Lz+3T

His or his team’s ability to adjust and respond to a disastrous free skate is very good to see.

Karen-W

Looks like Ilia's jumps were all called clean. I'm a bit surprised that the opening 4z and the 3a weren't at least called with a 'q', but okay... At least the 4z got a negative GOE, which it deserved. Insane GOE on his 4t (2.99), 4s (2.77), and 4t-1eu-3s (2.44). He also got 1.94 GOE on his 3a, so maybe it was just the camera angle that made it look wonky. Clearly, the judges are ready for the Yuma-Ilia Battle this coming Olympic cycle, lol.

Shaidorov had a < on his 4z, and a ! on the flip in his last jumping pass (3f-2t).

Tsuboi's 4s got a 'q' and a ! on the 3z-1eu-3s jumping pass.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think Ilia's FS is fine. I like the costume a lot and I've seen him really perform it and it works then IMO. The SP I know I just cannot judge fairly because any MJ song is totally creepy to me -- even a cover.

jlai

Question everything
I think Ilia's FS is fine. I like the costume a lot and I've seen him really perform it and it works then IMO. The SP I know I just cannot judge fairly because any MJ song is totally creepy to me -- even a cover.
So you don't like Guignard/Fabri's and W/C's MJ rd?

I think Ilia's short was fine, even tried to sell it (skating to the music, not to the lyrics lol)

Last edited:

Vagabond

Spots for 2023 World Junior Championships:

Three -- Canada, Kazakhstan, United States.
Two -- Estonia, Italy, Japan, Sweden, Switzerland.
One -- All other eligible countries.

AFAIK, Japan, Kazakhstan, and the United States will be eligible to send two Junior Men to each JGP event, Canada will be eligible to send one to each, and Estonia will be eligible to send one man to six of the seven events.

jlai

Question everything
Spots for 2023 World Junior Championships:

Three -- Canada, Kazakhstan, United States.
Two -- Estonia, Italy, Japan, Sweden, Switzerland.
One -- All other eligible countries.

AFAIK, Japan, Kazakhstan, and the United States will be eligible to send two Junior Men to each JGP event, Canada will be eligible to send one to each, and Estonia will be eligible to send one man to six of the seven events.
It wasn't a superb outing for Japan, but Tsuboi really saved Japan's jgp spots. They need them too more so than other feds.
Be interesting to see what Kaz will do with the jgp spots.

Karen-W

It wasn't a superb outing for Japan, but Tsuboi really saved Japan's jgp spots. They need them too more so than other feds.
Be interesting to see what Kaz will do with the jgp spots.
I wonder if there will be some Russian men with Kazakh family ties who suddenly find a new federation to skate for next season, sort of like there might be some new "Georgian" pairs teams. ;)

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
World Standings before and after, sorry I missed getting some of the befores

Ilia Malinin 23 STAY
Mihhail Selevko ? to 27
Arlet Levandi 42 STAY
Wesley Chiu 64 to 45
Kao Miura 47 to 48
Nikolaj Memola 55 to 51
Mikhail Shaidorov 54 to 56
Stephen Gogolev 99 to 65
Tatsuya Tsuboi 121 to 68
Naoki Rossi ? to 80
Georgii Reshtenko ? to 82
Andreas Nordeback ? to 85
Liam Kapeikis 125 to 91
Lucas T. Honda 114 to 93
Kai Kovar 141 to 119
Louis Weissert 180 to 156

mtnskater

Ilia performed the hell out of those programs at Nationals….to standing ovations. I liked both of them there very much as an audience member. Probably because he skated freer and lights out. His free skate in particular is one I will always remember of all the years I’ve been to Nationals.

Soooo happy to see him win Junior Worlds with a very good free skate on the heels of his subpar (for him) free skate at Worlds. :encore::40beers:

Karen-W

So will Raf stick to his retirement plans or will he be sucked back into full-time coaching? He seemed to like being back in the K&C with a winner ... :)
He was here as Gogolev's primary coach and definitely at the boards during practices and the FS for Malinin. My guess is that the retirement talk was because he was pissed at the USFS for not naming Ilia to the Olympic team, plus not wanting to encourage Mariah to continue. But, now that Stephen seems to be getting himself back on track (a very credible skate today - his 3As are beautiful) and Ilia is going to be hard (not impossible) to beat by anyone not named Yuma or Shoma (and possibly Shaidorov too, if he can keep improving, especially on the PCS side), I can't see Raf retiring before 2026.

skatfan

He was here as Gogolev's primary coach and definitely at the boards during practices and the FS for Malinin. My guess is that the retirement talk was because he was pissed at the USFS for not naming Ilia to the Olympic team, plus not wanting to encourage Mariah to continue. But, now that Stephen seems to be getting himself back on track (a very credible skate today - his 3As are beautiful) and Ilia is going to be hard (not impossible) to beat by anyone not named Yuma or Shoma (and possibly Shaidorov too, if he can keep improving, especially on the PCS side), I can't see Raf retiring before 2026.
When I volunteered at US Nationals way back in 2018, Raf looked like crap and he was very tired from all the international travel that season with his skaters. I can imagine it was still hard this year even though Nathan didn’t cross an ocean until Beijing. Notice that he already cut back by not traveling with his other skaters.

I can see him being the secondary coach to both Gogolev and Malinin. It’s a different level of stress from what he did with Nathan.

kalle

I wonder if there will be some Russian men with Kazakh family ties who suddenly find a new federation to skate for next season, sort of like there might be some new "Georgian" pairs teams. ;)
Given the political situation, I was thinking the same.

Enchanted

I like Ted as a commentator. He is a very fair critic - credits the good but identifies opportunities for improvement.
I like that he is positive but I’d liked him to actually speak during the programs and tell after every element what he thought about it. His current commentary is too generic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information