2022–23 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

barbarafan

I hope lajoie and lagha beat the canadanes at nationals, sending the canadanes to worlds is too risky sorensen is too mistake prone and lala have the way better freedance. Btw Lala should have won silver in sheffield can`t believe this mediocre british team is winning medals, Lilah fear is such a weak skater and comparing back to back Marjorie is so superior to her not even funny. Their rd is so cringe I hate this political scoring international judges won`t give lala the huge marks until they win nationals.
When it comes to cdn domestic judges and skate canada they will not give out high marks & risk their number ones being dethroned.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I hope lajoie and lagha beat the canadanes at nationals, sending the canadanes to worlds is too risky sorensen is too mistake prone and lala have the way better freedance. Btw Lala should have won silver in sheffield can`t believe this mediocre british team is winning medals, Lilah fear is such a weak skater and comparing back to back Marjorie is so superior to her not even funny. Their rd is so cringe I hate this political scoring international judges won`t give lala the huge marks until they win nationals.

They were not as clean as Skate Canada, he had a stumble. Brits are not mediocre, I agree not as technically sound as L&L but they are very entertaining. I have thought L&L will win senior worlds, but not yet they still need to grow a little more artistically.

yurokis40

Critical gp for beaudry and sorensen in nhk they need to make the case that they deserve to go to another worlds instead of Lala , right now i would say La La have the inside track.

Colonel Green

Critical gp for beaudry and sorensen in nhk they need to make the case that they deserve to go to another worlds instead of Lala , right now i would say La La have the inside track.
F-B/S have higher scores and placements and are going to make the Grand Prix Final unless they completely bomb NHK. They are by every measure the favourites for the second World spot.

yurokis40

F-B/S have higher scores and placements and are going to make the Grand Prix Final unless they completely bomb NHK. They are by every measure the favourites for the second World spot.
Yeah if they go by protocol judging. The scores are very tight and f-b/s have never broken 120 internationnaly they will have too.
For example La La competed against teams that FB-s would not have beaten Like G&P and fear and gibson.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I don't think L&L can politically unseat the Danadians this year. They can certainly close that gap for NEXT year.

But the Danadians have been plagued with injury, and costly mistakes. (Okay, and bad programs regarding their last 1.5 FDs) L&L are very smart this year, coming out strong, competing well, because there's no guarantee Laurence & Nik will make it to worlds. And if they are substitutes, the pressure will be huge to get that third spot back for Montreal worlds.

I'm a bit illogically sore at G&P and the Danadians for losing that third spot last year. No Russians to be found, and they can't hold 13. Grrr... ;)

euterpe

La/La need to work on their connection to one another. They often appear two be two strangers who happen to be sharing the same sheet of ice. They hardly ever look at one another during an entire program. He is constantly mugging, while she does her own thing.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
La/La need to work on their connection to one another. They often appear two be two strangers who happen to be sharing the same sheet of ice. They hardly ever look at one another during an entire program. He is constantly mugging, while she does her own thing.
I was thinking yesterday that this is a team that won't be doing any romantic free dances, unless they are about the aftermath of a breakup. ;)

I don't think they are going to change a lot, but it is possible for choreographers to work with what is there. They could do a free dance to Somebody that I Used to Know. I can imagine this. :lol:

Seriously though I think that it will be about what kind of programs they come up with how well they show the positives they do have and downplay the negatives as with most teams.

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I was thinking yesterday that this is a team that won't be doing any romantic free dances, unless they are about the aftermath of a breakup. ;)

I don't think they are going to change a lot, but it is possible for choreographers to work with what is there. They could do a free dance to Somebody that I Used to Know. I can imagine this. :lol:

Seriously though I think that it will be about what kind of programs they come up with how well the show the positives they do have and downplay the negatives as with most teams.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Having seen Lajoie/Lagha live in Sheffield I was definitely impressed with them, especially their clean and smooth footwork, but I agree that there is still something missing presentationally. Zak has learned to project outwards more, albeit with no subtlety, so it worked well in the RD where they came close to beating Fear/Gibson at their own game of cheesy fun. But they aren't good at projecting an inwards connection and for me that hurts their FD where the Nureyev requires more nuance.

I saw a quote from Zak in the presser where he said something about how he's not trying to tell a story in the FD but he doesn't know whether or not Marjorie is. I don't want to read too much into one comment, but this seems like part of the problem: they need to have a shared vision of what they're trying to express with their programmes.

euterpe

Seems they don't talk much. No wonder they have a problem relating to one another in performance.

puglover

I have watched numerous clips of them joking around and hanging out. Their personalities are different but they seem to have a fun relationship. I don't disagree that they wouldn't benefit from a bit more eye contact but so would a number of other young dance teams. I love Piper and Paul but kind of think the same about them. It doesn't need to be young love but don't look past each other.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I saw a quote from Zak in the presser where he said something about how he's not trying to tell a story in the FD but he doesn't know whether or not Marjorie is. I don't want to read too much into one comment, but this seems like part of the problem: they need to have a shared vision of what they're trying to express with their programmes.

This reminds me that they indeed split as a team before they even started training with Gadbois. Marie France suggested they re-pair for best success. (Smart)

I don't think teams have to be best friends in order to be successful. Not to mention, we don't need every team doing romantic-style programs. I do think if they are unable to clean up small intangibles that speak to a lack of chemistry in their partnership, they will remain below the top ranks of the field, regardless of how talented they are.

So far, they seem to be working on it, they just have a very different relationship than we're used to from other skaters. Maybe that will turn out to be refreshing, who knows?

emilieh

When did they split?

In 2015, after they won the novice Canadian title. Lajoie skated with Anton Spiridonov for a few(?) months. I'm pretty sure that they registered for a summer competition together, but can't remember if they actually competed or not. Lajoie & Lagha got back together in time to compete on the JGP that year.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
In 2015, after they won the novice Canadian title. Lajoie skated with Anton Spiridonov for a few(?) months. I'm pretty sure that they registered for a summer competition together, but can't remember if they actually competed or not. Lajoie & Lagha got back together in time to compete on the JGP that year.
I'm sure glad they did. I think they can deal just fine with their different personalities and there's no reason to draw conclusions about them off ice from what we see in the KnC. They need to work on connecting on the ice, that's an aspect of being top dancers and I think they can achieve it, given material that suits them.

Sylvia

TBD
Just checked and Lajoie/Spiridonov registered in, but did not compete in Junior, at the 2015 Quebec Summer Championships.

chantilly

I’m thrilled
I can’t believe how improved FB/S are this year.
I do think injury really hampered them the last couple of seasons.
But I think they are working harder than they ever have and it’s paying off.
I think they are a dark horse for the podium at worlds.
And I think G and P need to bring it at Nationals.
It’s sad we only have two spots but I 100% think we will have three spots next year.
Canadian Ice Dance is my delightful surprise this season.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
What happened at NHK? :huh:

j/k, obviously a big win for Fournier-Beaudry/Sorenson - I think the focus has been more what this means for Chock/Bates.
As a Chock & Bates fan I've heard more than I need about what is wrong with Chock & Bates, I'd much rather talk about this great accomplishment by Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson. I know when I saw them in their Challenger event I said "wow, they are ready!" They came out so trained and ready to make a move up the standings and now they have.

Their Free Dance is a great vehicle for their performance ability. I loved watching it.

geoskate

I'm not an ice dance expert, but what I saw in their programs was a precision that should be seen in a truly top dance team. It has been there in the past, but not to the same extent, and it was especially evident in Piper's movements. Everything had been thought through and refined to perfection. To me it seems that they both must have been working harder than they ever have before, to bring their skating to this level - or perhaps that's just how long it took for them to reach such a level as a team. In any case, it's very enjoyable to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information