2021 Worlds RD - Dancing Quarantine

VGThuy

Hawayek/Baker are in 11th. I mentioned in another thread how they are sort of the new Paul/Islam in that Gadbois did not provide the magic touch for them, and I had some people respond negatively to that. Well, the results speak for themselves. I know people are saying they're just waiting for the next Olympic cycle to be the no. 1 American team and make their mark at Worlds (with a bunch of retirements), but I see them being overtaken by younger American teams (and non-American ones) next cycle unless Gadbois seriously does something different with them. Their TES ain't cutting it and a lot of it has to do with their base levels. It's a consistent issue.

topaz

H&D really need a better taste level. An RD like this is never going to get top PCS scores above a team like S&K that goes with cookie cutter themes. Trashy is not a style...
Well I don't necessarily agree this RD is trashy, whatever way you mean it. I don't think this program is trash and worthless which is really what you're trying to say. However, Trashy is a style. Two of my favorite musical icons are known for their "trashy" style... Debbie Harry and Dolly Parton.

becca

FSR is getting greedy ahead of the Olympics next year. Going to bet on some backlash next season.
Maybe? I think though Russia is good at making the deals needed and compromises needed the French will be back too.

I think they are fairly in good stead in pairs and ladies.

topaz

Look, I love this RD for SinKats and I'm no HubDon fan by any stretch but there is no way that SinKats should be 2+ points ahead of HubDon after these performances.
LOL. It's perfectly known you're no "hubdon" fan but why do you have mention it as a backhanded compliment. SMH

VGThuy

Russia doesn't really need help in pairs and ladies, unless they really mess up and need benefit of the doubt scoring that some big name skaters from all countries can get.

Frau Muller

Proud Puerto Rican-Russkaya!
I would’ve had C/B first but....if not them, I’m grateful for S/K’s comfy lead. 😉

Also YAY for Step/Bukin making final flight!!!

SLIVER

Hawayek/Baker are in 11th. I mentioned in another thread how they are sort of the new Paul/Islam in that Gadbois did not provide the magic touch for them, and I had some people respond negatively to that. Well, the results speak for themselves. I know people are saying they're just waiting for the next Olympic cycle to be the no. 1 American team and make their mark at Worlds (with a bunch of retirements), but I see them being overtaken by younger American teams (and non-American ones) next cycle unless Gadbois seriously does something different with them. Their TES ain't cutting it and a lot of it has to do with their base levels. It's a consistent issue.
Yes but they weren't really judged correctly, behind the Poles is probably one of the most ludicrous judging decisions I have ever seen and I am not exaggerating.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I would agree with this if there was a younger team that just oozed potential, but all the potential successors to the current C&B / H&D hierarchy are problematic. For C&P, she’s still struggling to catch up to his level, and it’s always obvious in their programs. G&P are still sloppy and inconsistent, with height issues like H&B. M&S, it’s still to be seen whether they have potential to really rise to a world-level partnership.

I’m honestly not that optimistic about US Ice Dance post 2022. H&D and/or C&B could easily stick around to try and get a World Title if P&C and S&K retire, blunting any momentum from one of these teams.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Honestly... if Russia wins this title it would be their first gold in 12 years and their second medal in 8 years... hardly a political powerhouse that is getting all this undeserved support from the judges. :rolleyes: And people said the same things about all of those medals too, so I guess Russian ice dancers haven't deserved any medals at all in decades.

VGThuy

Yes but they weren't really judged correctly, behind the Poles is probably one of the most ludicrous judging decisions I have ever seen and I am not exaggerating.
That's true, but then they'd be 10th instead of 11th. This kind of stagnation from former World Junior Champions isn't really what they had in mind when they moved to Gadbois, I bet.

VGThuy

I would agree with this if there was a younger team that just oozed potential, but all the potential successors to the current C&B / H&D hierarchy are problematic. For C&P, she’s still struggling to catch up to his level, and it’s always obvious in their programs. G&P are still sloppy and inconsistent, with height issues like H&B. M&S, it’s still to be seen whether they have potential to really rise to a world-level partnership.

I’m honestly not that optimistic about US Ice Dance post 2022. H&D and/or C&B could easily stick around to try and get a World Title if P&C and S&K retire, blunting any momentum from one of these teams.
I actually am because I do think there's a lot of promise actually. I definitely already see younger teams who placed below them at this year's Nationals who I think clearly have better potential than H/B. All to do with the run of the blade, their posture/lines, carriage, and ease of movement.

Not only is H/B's skating looking more...laborious than ever, but Gadbois is clearly struggling with them now or not giving them much attention despite their whole set up being about how every team has equal attention and time. They went from "In This Shirt" brooding (nope) to quirky flamenco Marie Antoinette (too heavy) and despite some fans, now they're going for pretentious pop covers. It honestly feels like they're just shooting darts and hoping something sticks. Honestly, I think Pascale knew the style that fit them much better. They could be much lighter skaters that could fly. Of course, that wouldn't be such a problem if they hit their levels and had high base values, but again, a consistent issue with them.

PRlady

I don't have and don't want to say anything. My fears come reality with the polish again overscored.. 9th place
This is annoying me more than the anointment of S/K who are a very good team. Ahead of H/B and L/L is just a travesty, although I know both those teams lose a bit by being the #3 teams from their countries. And ahead of Tiff/Jon and the Chinese is just as bad!

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
The younger teams are coming along just fine. They still have some developing to do, but that's perfectly normal.

becca

Honestly... if Russia wins this title it would be their first gold in 12 years and their second medal in 8 years... hardly a political powerhouse that is getting all this undeserved support from the judges. :rolleyes: And people said the same things about all of those medals too, so I guess Russian ice dancers haven't deserved any medals at all in decades.
Yeah it’s hard to call Russia greedy when they are by far the deepest in two disciplines.

if anything it’s sad so many talented Russian pairs and ladies get left behind.

And S/K are a strong team.

Karen-W

LOL. It's perfectly known you're no "hubdon" fan but why do you have mention it as a backhanded compliment. SMH

I think the stress was that even people who don’t love H/D think they should be leading.

There are constant posts like that on FSU 🤷🏼‍♂️
^^^ What tony said... There's no way that SinKats should have a 2+ point lead on HubDon.

VGThuy

Any chance Hurtado/Diaz can surpass the third-ranked Russian and American teams to hit the top ten and get a second spot for Spain? They actually had a higher BV than H/B, but Tiffany & Jon had higher BVs than both by some way. H/D really need to hit their levels.

I only really ask because every year I get tired of the Spanish single spot drama. It was funny at first, but seeing certain direct parties not handling things well and on social media gets tiring.

caseyedwards

Even them losing was part of their Politcal game! They pushed down the dancers to help the women!! It’s all a demonstration of their total power and dominance over dance when they didn’t medal in 2018 and b/s winning one bronze

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Any chance Hurtado/Diaz can surpass the third-ranked Russian and American teams to hit the top ten and get a second spot for Spain? They actually had a higher BV than H/B, but Tiffany & Jon had higher BVs than both by some way. H/D really need to hit their levels.

I only really ask because every year I get tired of the Spanish single spot drama. It was funny at first, but seeing certain direct parties not handling things well and on social media gets tiring.

They could but will need some help from errors of the polish, and maybe one of the russians/americans, thats a lot

And of course Sara needs to hit those damn twizzles and the program to be perfect tomorrow, but with few time performing and training I don't know if they will have the stamina and strenght to skate at full potential

Trust me Skating Community in Spain is tired and pissed about the same drama each season

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member

From your mouth to god's ears.

Colonel Green

Good news is that if everything remains more or less the same all the teams that have qualified for the free dance will qualify an Olympic quota spot.
France would lose a spot, but Britain and Poland would both gain one (pending qualification, which I don't think Poland could manage), so whoever finishes twentieth would be out of luck.

Italy will also have to qualify its second spot at Nebelhorn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information