CAN Gilles/Poirier
USA Chock/Bates

Group 6 -
RUS Stepanova/Bukin
GBR Fear/Gibson
CHN Wang/Liu
POL Kaliszek/Spodyriev
ESP Smart/Diaz

Groups 4 & 5 - (2 will wind up as the last of Group 4)
USA Hawayek/Baker
CAN Lajoie/Lagha
RUS Zagorski/Guerreiro
LTU Reed/Ambrulevicius
CAN Fourier Beaudry/Sorenson
FRA Galyavieva/Thauron
UKR Nazarova/Nikitin

Groups 2 & 3 - (3 will wind up in the first half of Group 4, and 1 of these will wind up the last of Group 2; Groups 1-3 will have 4 teams each)
JPN Komatsubara/Koleto
GER Muller/Dieck
FIN Turkkila/Versluis
CZE Tascherlova/Taschler
KOR Min/Eaton
FRA Lopareva/Brissaud
HUN Yanovskaya/Lukacs
ARM Garabedian/Proulx Senecal
AUS Harris/Chan

Groups 1 & 2 (4 teams each)
AZE Kuznetsova/Kolosovskyi
BLR Semenjuk/Yukhimuk
BUL Zdravkova/Davis
ISR Ichilov/Abecassis
ITA Moscheni/Fioretti
NED Verhaegh/Van Geffen
TUR Zhata/Akalin

Last edited:

Karen-W

And from
Current ISU World Standings rankings - PAIRS:

CHN Peng/Jin WS 1
RUS Tarasova/Morozov WS 2
CAN Moore-Towers/Marinaro WS 3
RUS Boikova/Kozlovskii WS 4
CHN Sui/Han WS 5
AUT Ziegler/Kiefer WS 7
ITA Della Monica/Guarise WS 8
RUS Mishina/Galliamov WS 11
USA Cain-Gribble/LeDuc USA WS 12
ITA Ghilardi/Ambrosini WS 13
CAN Walsh/Michaud WS 17
GBR Jones/Boyadji WS 22
GER Hocke/Kunkel WS 25
FRA Hamon/Strekalin WS 28
CRO Petranovic/Souza Kordeiru WS 29
ISR Vernikov/Krasnopolski WS 30
HUN Chtcheitnina/Magyar WS 31
JPN Miura/Kihara WS 33
CHN Wang/Huang WS 37
FRA Kerevin/Pierre WS 45
NED Danilova/Tsiba WS 50

unranked:
BLR Lukashevich/Stepanov
CZE Zhuk/Bidar
GEO Metelkina/Parkman
UKR Holichenko/Darenskyi
USA Knierim/Frazier
26 teams = 7 groups, 13 in the latter half

Group 7
CHN Peng/Jin
RUS Tarasova/Morozov
CAN Moore-Towers/Marinaro
RUS Boikova/Kozlovskii

Group 6
CHN Sui/Han
AUT Ziegler/Kiefer
ITA Della Monica/Guarise
RUS Mishina/Galliamov

Groups 4 & 5 - 1 of these will wind up as the last team in Group 4
USA Cain-Gribble/LeDuc USA WS 12
ITA Ghilardi/Ambrosini WS 13
CAN Walsh/Michaud WS 17
GBR Jones/Boyadji WS 22
GER Hocke/Kunkel WS 25

Groups 2, 3 & 4 - 1 of these will wind up as the last team in Group 2 (group 2 will also only have 3 teams in it)
FRA Hamon/Strekalin WS 28
CRO Petranovic/Souza Kordeiru WS 29
ISR Vernikov/Krasnopolski WS 30
HUN Chtcheitnina/Magyar WS 31
JPN Miura/Kihara WS 33
CHN Wang/Huang WS 37
FRA Kerevin/Pierre WS 45
NED Danilova/Tsiba WS 50

Groups 1 & 2 (3 teams each)
BLR Lukashevich/Stepanov
CZE Zhuk/Bidar
GEO Metelkina/Parkman
UKR Holichenko/Darenskyi
USA Knierim/Frazier

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
Nugumanova for alternate over Samodurova? I call shenanigans. :mad: Sofia finished 18 points ahead and has Worlds experience, to boot.

Karen-W

Nugumanova for alternate over Samodurova? I call shenanigans. :mad: Sofia finished 18 points ahead and has Worlds experience, to boot.
Alternates are listed alphabetically. Chan/Howe are not the #1 US pairs alternates, that would be Lu/Mitrofanov, but they're listed first. My guess is that Samodurova is #2 behind Kostornaia.

Wyliefan

Alternates are listed alphabetically. Chan/Howe are not the #1 US pairs alternates, that would be Lu/Mitrofanov, but they're listed first. My guess is that Samodurova is #2 behind Kostornaia.
Samodurova isn't listed at all.

Cherub721

YEAH!
He’s not in the first group. He’s somewhere in the first half, which could be anywhere from first to 18th to skate if the number stays at 36. And honestly, the world rankings have some odd results across the board this year so I don’t think any start number is going to be terrible news. And no audience to influence the judges ;)

I’m also quite sure they didn’t formulate a list to figure out Kolyada would just miss out on the second half. There’s always a chance he moves up based on final entries.

It's a significant difference between Semenenko and Aliev IMO. Aliev is world rank #3 (behind Samarin :rofl:) and would have skated in the final group. With that late start and his reputation, he'd be in good shape to qualify to the LP even with mistakes. Semenenko could do the same content that Aliev would have done and not qualify (with a bad performance) or finish outside the top 10 and draw an early LP group (with a good performance). I know the Russians like to go with a young guy for the pre-Olympic year, but I'm still surprised. It's not like Semenenko is super consistent.

Kolyada should be ok skating early. Do we know how high he has to place to keep a second spot, in the event Sememenko doesn't make the LP?

Oh, duh. I missed that, lol. Yeah, I would have at least expected both Nugu and Samo to be named as alternates.

I'm shocked that Russia didn't use all their alternates. IMO it's reckless, especially the way the crud has spread among their team. I know a lot of skaters had it already, but there's skaters on their team who have not had it yet (or who could be reinfected, or could have had an exposure, etc, etc) and it's not out of the question they, or any country, could have several skaters disqualified and need all their alternates. Every federation should have maxed out if they had enough skaters with the minimum, IMO.

tony

It's a significant difference between Semenenko and Aliev IMO. Aliev is world rank #3 (behind Samarin :rofl:) and would have skated in the final group. With that late start and his reputation, he'd be in good shape to qualify to the LP even with mistakes. Semenenko could do the same content that Aliev would have done and not qualify (with a bad performance) or finish outside the top 10 and draw an early LP group (with a good performance). I know the Russians like to go with a young guy for the pre-Olympic year, but I'm still surprised. It's not like Semenenko is super consistent.
I hear you, but Aliev could also totally bomb. In all honesty, if they were going for a somewhat logical pick, I think it should've been Kondratiuk even if he started the season miserably.
Kolyada should be ok skating early. Do we know how high he has to place to keep a second spot, in the event Sememenko doesn't make the LP?
He needs to be top 10 if Semenenko doesn't get out of the short, as that will be assigned 18 points. However, remember Russia would have to send someone to Nebelhorn to actually get that second spot now under the new rules.

I can't guarantee anything, but the mens field is not really that deep past the top huge group of potential medalists and unless he really, really implodes, then making the LP shouldn't be too difficult IMO.

Hanna

Skating junkie
No Kazakova and Reviya??? Anyone know why??
No idea but I'm not surprised. :( They haven't competed all season. IIRC Reviya was injured and went through some surgery last year? But no idea whether that still plays a part. I was already so afraid they had called it quits because there were zero skating signs of them anywhere all year (even just social media) but then a couple of weeks ago they posted a clip of practicing the old FD on Instagram. :love: I took that as a sign that they are still skating together (I was worried, OK? :drama: ). So I assume the reason for not competing is because there's some kind of a long-term health issue (?). Maybe he still hasn't recovered from his injury?

On another note - what does FSR stand for? Figure Skaters from Russia? :p

Last edited:

Colonel Green

I can't guarantee anything, but the mens field is not really that deep past the top huge group of potential medalists and unless he really, really implodes, then making the LP shouldn't be too difficult IMO.
For reference, the 24th qualifier to the free skate in Saitama was Yee with 73.63 points; the men will do what they do, of course, but Semenenko should realistically be expected to clear that.

EDIT: To add the other 2019 cutoff scores:

Ladies - Isadora Williams, 55.20
Pairs - no cutoff because only 19 pairs, lowest score Abrazhevich/Bidar, 48.66
Dance - Yanovskaya/Lukacs, 61.96

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Update

Spain Ice Dancing Drama continues...

Spanish Ice Sports Federation have published moments ago an official communication saying that the spot for the World Championships is NOT YET ASSIGNED.

A 'Skate Off' that will be held online under ISU regulations for this kind of situation, both couples will perform their rhythm and free dance programs that will be recorded by the Federation, submit to judges evaluation and then come up with the result.

The outcome will be published next monday march 8

Karen-W

Update

Spain Ice Dancing Drama continues...

Spanish Ice Sports Federation have published moments ago an official communication saying that the spot for the World Championships is NOT YET ASSIGNED.

A 'Skate Off' that will be held online under ISU regulations for this kind of situation, both couples will perform their rhythm and free dance programs that will be recorded by the Federation, submit to judges evaluation and then come up with the result.

The outcome will be published next monday march 8

Well, they had to give one team the assignment and put the other one as the S, so Smart/Diaz makes sense on the entries list since we know that H/K are really the challengers right now due to her injury.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Right now the correct choice is to send Smart/Diaz to Worlds, they have been training all season long, have new free dance and I think more momentum.

And thinking about Worlds, they are right now the most 'safe' choice for Spain to attempt getting the top 10 and those 2 spots for the next season. Of course they will have to face tough competition against Hawayek/Baker and Zahorski/Guerreiro for the tenth place and held on the chinese, polish that could well threat the spanish couple.

Also I don't trust that much Sara and her mental issues with twizzles!!

So just send Smart/Diaz!

clairecloutier

I love Hurtado/Khaliavin, but I can't believe there is even a question of them going to Worlds. I think it's only been recently that Sara got back on the ice, right?

Sending Smart/Diaz would certainly seem the more prudent choice (unless they have injury issues that aren't generally known).

mjb52

Think she first got back to Moscow over three months ago but it looked like she was on the ice in Spain a little before that. But then maybe she was in Spain again briefly? It seems like they may have been training a little longer than people probably think but it's hard to know what kind of shape they are actually in without having seen them.

Sylvia

Off season is club competition season!
Has Ivett Toth competed at all this year? Anyone know her situation?
Ivett competed at Budapest Trophy (6th) and Santa Claus Cup (3rd; Julia Lang won) this past fall but did not compete at Nationals in December (also won by Lang) - not sure if it was due to injury or something else.

drfj

Ivett competed at Budapest Trophy (6th) and Santa Claus Cup (3rd; Julia Lang won) this past fall but did not compete at Nationals in December (also won by Lang) - not sure if it was due to injury or something else.
Ivett changed again her coach,she was ill during the Nationals

MsZem

Right now the correct choice is to send Smart/Diaz to Worlds, they have been training all season long, have new free dance and I think more momentum.
Neither team has competed since 2020 Euros, where H/K finished ahead.

Other than Loena Hendrickx and Eva-Lotta Kiibus, I don't think anyone has momentum right now ;)

Sylvia

Off season is club competition season!
Ivett changed again her coach,she was ill during the Nationals
Thanks, @drfj - is Ivett's coach former SVK competitor Ivana Reitmayerova? (as listed now on HUN fed. website)

Hungary's World team announcement (Júlia Láng, Chtchetinina/Magyar, and Yanovskaya/Lukács) today: http://hunskate.hu/hirek/mukorcsolya/stockholm-jovunk
Machine translated excerpt:
“Since the European Championships have not been held, the principle that whichever competitor we finish in the top ten can start automatically at the World Championships could not be applied. Thus, the results of the December Hungarian Championship and last week's Hague Challenge Cup decided the identity of the starters. As we have one pair, and in the case of ice dancers, only Anna Yanovskaya and Ádám Lukács could participate in the mentioned competitions out of the two possible doubles, their results really mattered for the girls, ” summed up the selection principles of the association dr. Vardanjan Gurgen, sports director of the figure skating industry.
2021 Challenge Cup results:
9 Julia LANG HUN 149.77 14 7
11 Regina SCHERMANN HUN 143.90 12 10

SmallFairy

#teamtrainwreck #teamjapan
Reytmeyerova used to coach in Bergen, Norway, but now she and her husband (Hungarian pair skater Mark Magyar) has become parents and is living in Hungary, or somewhere near? If she’s Toth’s new coach, I guess she’s not coming back here up north...

her grace

standing with Mariah

I guess Russia is giving some weight to Nugu's nationals performance, which is inconsistent from how they chose the men so :huh:

There was space for both to be alternates. Or Tsbinova could have been chosen on the strength of her Russian Cup Final performance. This isn't the first time that Russia has not used the full allotment of alternate spots in ladies. To me, it seems like they support the best senior age-eligibles, and then think, well, next year will be about the newly age-eligibles, so the current 4-6 senior age-eligibles don't matter much to them. :(

Wyliefan

I kept thinking Tsibinova was a junior. I'm always losing track of who's Worlds-eligible and who isn't! Anyway, I appreciate your take on it, @her grace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information